One bad semester, possible premature freakout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myotis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, to make a long story short, I'm anticipating a not so stellar semester this semester (I know, a little early, I still have time, but hear me out). I'm anticipating getting 2 B's (probably B+'s) this semester in gen chem II and mammalogy, which for me, isn't great. This decline in performance is due in part to not being prepared properly for gen chem II (it's not just me, it's half the class, my prof said we were the least prepared gen chem II class he's ever had, but he's not adjusting the curve because of it. Our lack of preparation is due to our gen chem I prof getting arrested 3/4 of the way through the semester and subsequently getting fired...no joke) and also in part to a few personal/emotional hits I've taken over the past year that came to a peak last semester and have flowed over into this semester.

Anyhow, are vet schools forgiving of slip ups in undergrad? I understand that B+'s really aren't bad, but it is a noticeable decline in performance for me. I'm probably freaking out for nothing, I've just always been told that you can't get in to vet school without a 4.0, and while this forum has proved that to be completely false, I still freak out about it once in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyhow, are vet schools forgiving of slip ups in undergrad? I understand that B+'s really aren't bad, but it is a noticeable decline in performance for me. I'm probably freaking out for nothing, I've just always been told that you can't get in to vet school without a 4.0, and while this forum has proved that to be completely false, I still freak out about it once in a while.

My entire undergrad was a slip-up, and I'm proud of it. Hey, I worked hard, played with animals, and had fun. Then, I would worry about school...
So, needless to say, my 3.2 has gotten me 4 interviews, 3 waitlists, and still waiting on a few other schools.
I wouldn't worry about one bad semester. Do the best you can, and really WOW that transcript next semester.

You should be fine. B's are considered OK :) just relax, you are not screwed at all...the average GPA is usually around a 3.6 for vet schools. The classes I would focus on for good grades are organic and biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel any better, I have an F, 2 Ds, a D+ and probably 5ish C's on my transcripts, and I've gotten in. A semester with extra Bs won't kill you.

I hope I can pull of ochem and biochem. Chem is NOT my strong point, primarily because of all the math, so I'm anticipating having a hard time in physics as well. But I've had such a hard time focusing this semester due to some personal turmoil, so I've had a really hard time studying. I've been managing it all ok considering, I'm just anticipating my gpa taking a hit. And I'm planning on having a relaxing summer so I'm refreshed for Fall semester

I would put this under the definition of an unnecessary freakout. Lets break this down just to calm you down a bit.
1) Are you a freshman? If you answered no, move to #2.If you answered 'yes' then calm down. Everyone messes up freshman year. I had a 2.4, and I got into a couple of schools. Just study more this semester and do better next semester.
2) Do you have decent grades (3.4-3.5 or above) thus far? If you answer no, move to #3. If yes, then, calm down. One semester will not kill you, ESP. if those so called terrible grades are B or B+. Some classes don't click with people. I got a B in gen chem, and a B- in Physics 2. Hell, I got a D in calc (clearly, I am not a math person). One semester of a minor, because this is a minor, dip, will not kill you. Again, just make sure to do well for the rest of this semester and do well next semester (and preferably every other semester too, cuz why not)
3) Ok, if you need to be at #3, now you can be a teensy bit worried. Depending on what your cGPA is, you may need to be worried, may not. People do get in with 3.2's. Just make sure from now on your grades are an upward trend, especially in upper level science courses. Get some good, diverse experience and apply to schools that take lots of OOSers and strongly favor experience. Just get your butt in gear and do well!

Also, since it is the super beginning of the semester, you have already recognized that these may be weak points, and thus you may work harder. I anticipated a C in Biochem going in and I was SO NERVOUS that I ended up studying harder than I ever have and got an A-. Recognizing problem areas can prevent them all together.

The overall message of this post is that B+'s are fine. I have a couple, in fact, I have more than a couple. And I'm sure plenty of peole on here have a bunch. Thats why vet school is SO MUCH COOLER then med school. They see we are human and can falter, and they like us as long as we can pick ourselves back up. Good luck!

If it is any comfort, if math isn't your thing, O-chem has almost no math that I remember except for basic addition subtraction stuff. It is mostly just memorzing/learning mechanisms and how different things interact. Plus naming! Moral of the story, it isn't that bad so don't stress too much.

Also if these are your first Bs in your undergrad, seems to me like you are doing pretty darn well. Just remember to kill it in the classes that you can

Not my first B's, I've had three others. I was thinking this was a premature and unnecessary freak out. It probably doesn't help that I have two midterms tomorrow (one in chem, which I can't study after 8 pm because for some reason I lose all abilities to do chem after 8 pm, I literally can't do the most basic problems after 8)

i think that's ok.....just do well for the rest of the semesters and you should be good

Believe me, there's been worse. I got B's in both gen chem classes and B-'s in both semesters of calculus and I was pretty happy with my application results this year. :) As long as you continue to improve in your performance, have an average cumulative GPA, and keep up with the rest of your prereqs, this is a 100% unnecessary freak-out!

I can't believe i'm reading this. Bs?? OMGGG TERRRIBLE Bs!!! when you get multiple Cs or need to withdraw from a class, or fail, THEN post here. otherwise, stop whinning!! u sound like a premed. sighhh ok sry this rant may sound mean, im not a mean person! :D but seriously, you have nothing to worry about. It really isnt about only stats. Id worry more about what kind of vet/animal experience are you getting, along with the grades?

Never fear... I got C+'s in Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 (B in orgo 2) and Bio chem and I have gotten into 2 schools, one waitlist, one rejection and waiting on a few!
Don't fear not everyone can have 4.0s

I can't believe i'm reading this. Bs?? OMGGG TERRRIBLE Bs!!! when you get multiple Cs or need to withdraw from a class, or fail, THEN post here. otherwise, stop whinning!! u sound like a premed. sighhh ok sry this rant may sound mean, im not a mean person! :D but seriously, you have nothing to worry about. It really isnt about only stats. Id worry more about what kind of vet/animal experience are you getting, along with the grades?

haha, I'm a really high strung person, I'm used to being told to calm down lol. But the funny thing is, I know more prevet students who are concerned about their grades than premed students.

As far as experience, I've got a good start, working on getting more. I have some experience (either vet or animal) in every category except lab animal...

While this is definitely a premature freakout :), I think it might also help you to have a not so stellar semester on your transcript. Not only does it show that you are human, but if you are able to return to your normal performance next semester, it shows that you are able to overcome adversary and bounce back. You can't control what life throws at you, but you can control how you react. I think your ability to recover from a bad semester, shows a lot about your character. As long as this is not the beginning of a downward trend, (which considering the fact that you are worried about a few B’s, I don’t think that is the case) I think it could be a good thing.

No big deal...one semester of B's will not hurt your science GPA or last 45hours (considering gen chem II- I figure you are a freshman in science credit standing). You can totally beat this next time. :)

No big deal...one semester of B's will not hurt your science GPA or last 45hours (considering gen chem II- I figure you are a freshman in science credit standing). You can totally beat this next time. :)

I'm actually probably a sophomore in science credits, but a junior otherwise. I just avoided gen chem for a while, that and I didn't start college as a pre-vet