One reason why it takes forever for dental schools to review your application and make decisions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once they receive your application and screen out for factors like gpa and dat, you are potentially eligble for interview. Once your application passes the initial screening, the adcoms make contact with the professors, dentists, dean, and any personnel involved with your recommendation letters, shadowing hours, extracurricular activities, etc for legitamacy. They don't want to waste time and embarras themselves by inviting liars to their campus and breaking bread. So they wait for their response which takes a sweet amount of time depending on how fast your writer gets back to the adcoms.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if that is actually true... I doubt that adcoms would have so much time to contact all of our recommenders.. but which admissions committee are you on? I hope it's not for the pharmacy school

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely don't think this is the case. But heck, it is possible. Blind leading the blind.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't true, at all.

Reactions: 2 users
This is not true. I think ensuring that letters of recommendation having some sort of authenticity check is a fantastic idea, but I am almost 100% sure this does not happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Trolling in 2016 needs a whole lotta work.

Reactions: 5 users
A dude that interviewed with told me that the school called his dentist to verify his shadowing hours & LoR. Is that normal?

A dude that interviewed with told me that the school called his dentist to verify his shadowing hours & LoR. Is that normal?
I write based on fact and the idealists are self-denying the truth, perhaps a select few of the people have something to hope to keep it under the shadow?

Yes, the adcoms verify the validity of the shadowing experience and the recommendor.

I write based on fact and the idealists are self-denying the truth, perhaps a select few of the people have something to hope to keep it under the shadow?

Yes, the adcoms verify the validity of the shadowing experience and the recommendor.

They don't have the time to do that. They will investigate if it raises eyebrows. My dentist who I shadowed who has had 7 people shadow him before while applying to dental school told me he's never been called once by any school.

Reactions: 1 user