One Year vs. Two Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMichelle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference is (besides the obvious) on one year programs and two year MPH programs.

Also, the only 1 year program that I have found is Dartmouth, what else is out there?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

UF (gainesville) has an accelerated program for its mph's, but you need to have a doctorate degree already.

Dartmouth
Tulane
Hopkins
Harvard
Loma Linda
there's one in texas but i dont remember exactly which one.
Pitts you can do it in 1 1/2

the thing is that most of one year programs will ask for you to have a doctorate degree, not all but most.

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
Hopkins is 1 year, Harvard is 9 months. There are a lot of one-year MPH programs offered.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Hopkins and Harvard MPH programs designed for people who have already graduated from medical school or who have several years of work experience in the health care environment (like nurses)? I don't think they will take people who are straight out of undergrad. I think they are geared towards med students, doctors, and health professionals.

Check out the Applying to MPH Programs sticky thread .

rob14599 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Hopkins and Harvard MPH programs designed for people who have already graduated from medical school or who have several years of work experience in the health care environment (like nurses)? I don't think they will take people who are straight out of undergrad. I think they are geared towards med students, doctors, and health professionals.
That's the case for Harvard, and possibly for Hopkins as well.

The original poster didn't state that she was doing this straight out of college. In fact, I would assume she already is a physician since her name is "DrMichelle."