Online Biochemistry Course - Good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice regarding what to do in this situation. There are 2 schools in my state that requires a Biochem course from an undergraduate institution. I would take this at a local 4-year university, but my schedule is basically some days 8-4pm and some days 2-10 pm, so it just would not work for me.

If I find a course online, is it a good idea to take it before, or after I get accepted into the school? Since I'm not able to take this course in person, I hope they don't view this negatively. Also, one of the schools considered the Biochem course from my pharmacy school, but I never followed up on this issue. Has anybody has the ladder done? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it. Do well in it and take it before you apply. Learning is usually self-directed for most of us non-trads. I am actually planning on taking the online Genetics course from UC Berkley Extension.

Good luck!

I was in a similar situation. My first application period I was wait listed at the only school in my state that required biochem. The dean advised this online medical biochem course (UNE) and I enrolled right away.

I actually loved the course! Its a DVD based course and was very enjoyable. Easily laid out and taught to goals, etc. Only issue is the entire grade is based off one proctored final exam. But if your serious, its a great course and I did very well in it.

Sadly I didn't get in off the waitlist and the next cycle I got several acceptances so now I'm going to a school that doesn't even require biochem! :laugh:

However, I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is serious about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I need some advice regarding what to do in this situation. There are 2 schools in my state that requires a Biochem course from an undergraduate institution. I would take this at a local 4-year university, but my schedule is basically some days 8-4pm and some days 2-10 pm, so it just would not work for me.

If I find a course online, is it a good idea to take it before, or after I get accepted into the school? Since I'm not able to take this course in person, I hope they don't view this negatively. Also, one of the schools considered the Biochem course from my pharmacy school, but I never followed up on this issue. Has anybody has the ladder done? Thanks.
This is going to be a bat-crazy idea, but what say you call the two schools and ask them? :)

FWIW, when I applied, my biochem course from grad school did meet the requirements for the couple of schools that wanted biochem. But all kidding aside, you can't get a better answer than what you'd get from the horse's mouth.

Don't know if you're a FL resident, but I was and needed biochem. I took the UC Berkeley extension Biochem and it satisfied the requirement, at least for FSU. Good luck!

This is going to be a bat-crazy idea, but what say you call the two schools and ask them? :)

FWIW, when I applied, my biochem course from grad school did meet the requirements for the couple of schools that wanted biochem. But all kidding aside, you can't get a better answer than what you'd get from the horse's mouth.

I have called the offices on quite a few occasions and they probably know my voice by now. I just didn't want to keep asking them questions if I could get the answer here.

I was in a similar situation. My first application period I was wait listed at the only school in my state that required biochem. The dean advised this online medical biochem course (UNE) and I enrolled right away.

I actually loved the course! Its a DVD based course and was very enjoyable. Easily laid out and taught to goals, etc. Only issue is the entire grade is based off one proctored final exam. But if your serious, its a great course and I did very well in it.

Sadly I didn't get in off the waitlist and the next cycle I got several acceptances so now I'm going to a school that doesn't even require biochem! :laugh:

However, I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is serious about it.

You're in Texas right? If so, Tech is requiring this for 2012 now. I read on TMDSAS that biochem would only be acceptable from an "undergrad bio or chem" department, but if the Dean says it's okay then I guess that trumps this rule. Anyway, did this course count towards your science GPA in both the Texas and AMCAS applications?

Don't know if you're a FL resident, but I was and needed biochem. I took the UC Berkeley extension Biochem and it satisfied the requirement, at least for FSU. Good luck!
sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering taking the online Biochemistry course from UC Berkley Extension - has anyone taken this recently? (found some threads about it but they were all fairly old)

I am also curious about that. Furthermore, is there a general consensus for online coursework from medical schools and/or SMP programs? They have limited evening classes at my local CC, so I would like to take additional courses online to boost my application.

I am also curious about that. Furthermore, is there a general consensus for online coursework from medical schools and/or SMP programs? They have limited evening classes at my local CC, so I would like to take additional courses online to boost my application.
from what I've heard, taking pre-reqs online = don't do it; med schools seem to not like this

but as for taking some additional upper division science coursework to boost an application, I don't know why it would be frowned upon? I haven't heard anything about this specifically. especially if it's an online course where you take the final exam in person at an authorized proctor center, which is how the online courses work at UC Berkley Extension

I think that it depends on 1) The school(s) that you are applying to and 2) The school that you take the online classes from. I completed my M.S. in Pharmacology & Toxicology online (including biochemistry, cell & molecular biology, physiology, and a portion of the MS I pharmacology) at Michigan State University. In speaking with the medical schools that I am applying to, none of them have indicated that they would have any problem at all with my degree because it came from the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. I've also heard that a lot of scools hold the online post bac courses at the University of New England in high regard. At the end of the day, you have to contact the schools that you would be interested in and let them know where you want to take your classes at and see what they say.

My friend just started the UC Berkley online course which satisfies the requirement for KCUMB (he verified with them) so I'd be happy share his experience when he's done. I know it's WAY less expensive than UNE's course.

Oakland university here in Michigan has a popular online version