Online Masters Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cutekitten02

C/O 2019 Hopeful
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there are a few very old threads on this topic with not many replies. What so you all (pre-vet, vet, and in school vet) think of getting an online MS program to boot your application? My overall GPA is not horrible, 3.73, last 45 are 3.55, science 3.6. But I am concerned that I did take only 12-15 credits/semester (including summer!!!) so I could work a 20hr/week job and graduate in 3.5 years. Now that I am employed full-time, volunteering yada yada this is really the only route I can go besides taking a grad level class here and there like I currently do. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am looking specifically at a biomedical science one.

Will schools recognize these classes in their overall GPA calculations?
Is it worth the time and money to boost my application?

I think this would a big waste of your time and money. You have a strong GPA that doesn't need a "boost". I don't know what the rest of your application looks like (hours of experience, GRE, etc) but I would absolutely not do an online Masters degree unless you actually have strong interest in the subject and would do it regardless of your desire to get into vet school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently a BMS grad student, applying to vet school this cycle.

1. Your GPA doesn't need a boost.
2. Grad classes are way harder than undergrad classes. It very well might lower your GPA
3. Online classes won't give you any animal, lab, or research experience. I'm assuming this is a one-year, non-thesis program.
4. If you're not actually interested in doing research in biomedical science, it's not worth it.
5. If you are interested, talk to professors at your college. See if they're looking for a master's student
6. If you're not getting a stipend and part of your tuition covered, not worth it IMHO

Sure it would probably help boost your application having a master's degree, but not by THAT much. There are way better, and less expensive, things to improve your app.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. I'm glad I am asking around about it ! I might just stick to taking grad classes here and there. One perk working for the university is free classes ( 9 credits a year)!

Last edited:
My gre is bad.... I applied knowing this. I'm just a horrible standardized test taker.... Experience... Took 2 graduate level classes with As in both, 8000 hrs plus research experience ( including mouse colony and rat colony management) with 4 publications, vet tech in a small animal clinic with around 600 hrs so far, have my own cold laser buisiness (dogs cats and horses), worked at a wildlife rehab clinic about 500 hours, honors, got my own scholarships and grants..... I don't have a ton of volunteering as most of these positions turned into jobs. But those are the basic things. I just got my very first rejection so I'm a little bummer and trying to see what I can do in case for next year... Gre yes lol and I don think I presented myself well on the experience section of VMCAS... Forgot a few tiny things and put all my volunteering in animal and vet experience rather than community...

Oh and I applied to Davis oos ( rejected), wsu oos, Oregon state oos, and csu is.

I didn't want to create a new thread but this is slightly off topic:

I'm highly interested in zoonotic infectious disease research, so I've been planning for a DVM/MPH dual degree program. I'm waitlisted at Tufts and UGA, and the cons outweighed the pros for Kansas State so I will be declining my seat there. I'll be accepting my seat at my IS school in the mean time, but they don't offer a DVM/MPH track.

I know that I could definitely get my MPH after graduating vet school, but I ideally would like to get them both knocked out at the same time if possible. There are several schools that offer excellent online MPH programs that I'm thinking about, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/experiences with taking an online Masters program while enrolled in veterinary school.

I have attention span issues, so I'm still trying to find my most efficient methods of studying and absorbing information. I'm kind of worried about veterinary school in that regard, as I know that I will have to acclimate from 0 hours of studying/week to lots of hours of studying/week (70-80 hours according to a current student I've been talking to??). That will be a challenge for me in itself, so I was wondering if I could even handle an online Masters on top of that. Any MS or DVM students that can weigh in?

I'm highly interested in zoonotic infectious disease research, so I've been planning for a DVM/MPH dual degree program. I'm waitlisted at Tufts and UGA, and the cons outweighed the pros for Kansas State so I will be declining my seat there. I'll be accepting my seat at my IS school in the mean time, but they don't offer a DVM/MPH track.

I know that I could definitely get my MPH after graduating vet school, but I ideally would like to get them both knocked out at the same time if possible. There are several schools that offer excellent online MPH programs that I'm thinking about, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/experiences with taking an online Masters program while enrolled in veterinary school.

I have attention span issues, so I'm still trying to find my most efficient methods of studying and absorbing information. I'm kind of worried about veterinary school in that regard, as I know that I will have to acclimate from 0 hours of studying/week to lots of hours of studying/week (70-80 hours according to a current student I've been talking to??). That will be a challenge for me in itself, so I was wondering if I could even handle an online Masters on top of that. Any MS or DVM students that can weigh in?

Summoning @vetmedhead

Reactions: 1 user

Caveat lector: First of all, this is super rambly because I'm at work right now and it's 3 AM, so please ignore typos or any advice that sounds like I pulled it straight from a different universe or something.

I'm not sure if I'll be super helpful because my program isn't online, but I know MN has a very solid mostly-online MPH program (I think they make you come for some in person stuff during part of a summer or something?).

For me, personally, I don't know if I would want to do all of the work of an MPH at the same time as vet school, if that makes sense. Masters programs are very oriented toward lots of reading and thoughtful processing of information and I feel like the workload of MPH coursework on top of the stress/huge workload that is veterinary school may not always be a fun experience. It's definitely doable, but for reference I just printed my weekly readings for my MPH coursework like five minutes ago and it's easily over 100 pages front and back for my four MPH classes. I'm expected to be able to discuss these readings at length, so I will often read many of them several times, make notes, look up supplemental information, etc. Toss in things like papers, exams, presentations, projects, and homework, and it can turn into a very formidable workload very quickly. (side note, this semester is much more coursework intensive for me than last semester, mostly because I'm taking a lot of policy and epidemiology classes, which will both make you read until your eyes bleed. I still had a decent amount of work last semester, but weekly readings were closer to ~25-50 pages front and back)

(I also am just talking about me personally here, but I'm a wreck and can not be trusted to do self paced online coursework. Most other people have much more discipline and fortitude than me so this note is an entirely personal one :p)

That being said, those MPH programs aren't bad and are a great choice for lots of people. I know I prefer having some division of classwork/degrees so I'm not doing everything at once (because I tend to do poorly when I make myself work like that), so having the 5 year program I'm in worked well for me because it allowed me to divide my coursework while still finishing up the MPH + DVM faster than if I had done them separately. Again, this is personal preference. If I were to do an online program I would probably shoot for something I could do over the summers or during breaks, but would be slightly apprehensive about burning myself out just from doing school essentially year round. Self paced stuff is good so long as you know you'll finish it and won't put off a semester's worth of work until the day before everything is due (aka be me). It gives you more flexibility, but at the cost of putting more personal responsibility on your own shoulders for keeping up with things.

Something I'll also toss in is that a huge chunk of people in my program now are vets, and most of the time I feel like they have much better perspectives/grasps on a lot of the material we learn purely because of that background - there are definitely some things I struggle with because I'm just not there in my schooling yet, and I think in some ways it's advantageous from a learning perspective to come into an MPH program having already had a background in veterinary medicine/practice. A few of the vets also practiced in public health fields without an MPH for a while and their workplaces were willing to pay part of their costs obtaining the MPH, which is a cool thing.

Also, as an aside, whoever told you they study 70-80 hours per week for veterinary school is probably dead now. :eek: Don't study that much unless you've somehow managed to discover a way to convert pure suffering into more hours in a week in which you can sleep.

Um, anyway, something in the wall of text above may be useful. If you have any other questions or just want to talk shop feel free to PM me too! :D

Reactions: 3 users
I know nothing about MPH programs, but I agree that studying 70-80 hours a week in vet school sounds like WAY too much. Maybe they meant they spend that much time a week in class or studying? But that's still a lot. I'm not the most dedicated student, but I study maybe 2-3 hours a night. More on the weekends or the night before a test, and some nights I don't study at all.

Caveat lector: First of all, this is super rambly because I'm at work right now and it's 3 AM, so please ignore typos or any advice that sounds like I pulled it straight from a different universe or something.

I'm not sure if I'll be super helpful because my program isn't online, but I know MN has a very solid mostly-online MPH program (I think they make you come for some in person stuff during part of a summer or something?).

For me, personally, I don't know if I would want to do all of the work of an MPH at the same time as vet school, if that makes sense. Masters programs are very oriented toward lots of reading and thoughtful processing of information and I feel like the workload of MPH coursework on top of the stress/huge workload that is veterinary school may not always be a fun experience. It's definitely doable, but for reference I just printed my weekly readings for my MPH coursework like five minutes ago and it's easily over 100 pages front and back for my four MPH classes. I'm expected to be able to discuss these readings at length, so I will often read many of them several times, make notes, look up supplemental information, etc. Toss in things like papers, exams, presentations, projects, and homework, and it can turn into a very formidable workload very quickly. (side note, this semester is much more coursework intensive for me than last semester, mostly because I'm taking a lot of policy and epidemiology classes, which will both make you read until your eyes bleed. I still had a decent amount of work last semester, but weekly readings were closer to ~25-50 pages front and back)

(I also am just talking about me personally here, but I'm a wreck and can not be trusted to do self paced online coursework. Most other people have much more discipline and fortitude than me so this note is an entirely personal one :p)

That being said, those MPH programs aren't bad and are a great choice for lots of people. I know I prefer having some division of classwork/degrees so I'm not doing everything at once (because I tend to do poorly when I make myself work like that), so having the 5 year program I'm in worked well for me because it allowed me to divide my coursework while still finishing up the MPH + DVM faster than if I had done them separately. Again, this is personal preference. If I were to do an online program I would probably shoot for something I could do over the summers or during breaks, but would be slightly apprehensive about burning myself out just from doing school essentially year round. Self paced stuff is good so long as you know you'll finish it and won't put off a semester's worth of work until the day before everything is due (aka be me). It gives you more flexibility, but at the cost of putting more personal responsibility on your own shoulders for keeping up with things.

Something I'll also toss in is that a huge chunk of people in my program now are vets, and most of the time I feel like they have much better perspectives/grasps on a lot of the material we learn purely because of that background - there are definitely some things I struggle with because I'm just not there in my schooling yet, and I think in some ways it's advantageous from a learning perspective to come into an MPH program having already had a background in veterinary medicine/practice. A few of the vets also practiced in public health fields without an MPH for a while and their workplaces were willing to pay part of their costs obtaining the MPH, which is a cool thing.

Also, as an aside, whoever told you they study 70-80 hours per week for veterinary school is probably dead now. :eek: Don't study that much unless you've somehow managed to discover a way to convert pure suffering into more hours in a week in which you can sleep.

Um, anyway, something in the wall of text above may be useful. If you have any other questions or just want to talk shop feel free to PM me too! :D

Thank you so much!! All of this information was useful to consider - like I said, I don't really have any real experience with studying because I'm the world's biggest procrastinator and cramming is my only useful life skill. I'm really terrible with self paced things, just like you, so maybe an online MPH wouldn't be the best idea. I'm taking a grad course now too, so I'm being exposed to what graduate school is like but I wasn't sure if MPH coursework would be as intense.

One program I'm looking at is through the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and you have the option of stretching out the programme to 5 years. Maybe that will help me handle the course load a little better.

Are you not taking any MPH courses concurrently with your DVM curriculum? You're in CSU's program, right?

I know nothing about MPH programs, but I agree that studying 70-80 hours a week in vet school sounds like WAY too much. Maybe they meant they spend that much time a week in class or studying? But that's still a lot. I'm not the most dedicated student, but I study maybe 2-3 hours a night. More on the weekends or the night before a test, and some nights I don't study at all.
Looking back, I think she included class time as well. Our IS has recorded lectures uploaded online, so I think she's been using them outside of class time if she skips class to sleep.

It doesn't hurt to ask questions and see if it could be something that would doable. Just don't hang all of your hopes on that plan. MPH's are usually one or two year programs so it's not that much more schooling if you can't combine the degrees. I would focus on cost. If you have to pay tuition and fees at two schools at the same time, you might as well wait. The DVM/MPH programs I'm familiar with are popular because they can offer two degrees for pretty close to the price of one.

I'm in a similar process now (looking to do a DVM and a MS at the same university but in different colleges) and it's quite frustrating to get straight answers when more and more people get involved. Some people are quick to poo poo the idea. Others are too quick to say "That'll work!" The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and dependent on how much effort you're willing to put into the process to make it work so if you're worried about keeping focused, it might not be the best choice.

I previously did the MPH as a stand alone degree. I rather enjoyed it, but I don't think I would have gotten the same experience and knowledge from it were it competing with a DVM.

Thank you so much!! All of this information was useful to consider - like I said, I don't really have any real experience with studying because I'm the world's biggest procrastinator and cramming is my only useful life skill. I'm really terrible with self paced things, just like you, so maybe an online MPH wouldn't be the best idea. I'm taking a grad course now too, so I'm being exposed to what graduate school is like but I wasn't sure if MPH coursework would be as intense.

One program I'm looking at is through the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and you have the option of stretching out the programme to 5 years. Maybe that will help me handle the course load a little better.

Are you not taking any MPH courses concurrently with your DVM curriculum? You're in CSU's program, right?
The answer to this is yes and no. :laugh: Also yes, I'm in CSU's program.

So they give us the option to take up to four credits worth of year 1 DVM classes early during our masters year, with the note that our MPH classes should take precedence and we should only take the DVM classes if we felt we could manage it with our courseload. I took all four DVM credits offered to me last semester (immunology + a research class) and I'm doing it again this semester (nutrition & metabolism + food animal production and food safety). The food animal class technically counts for both my DVM and my MPH.

Both semesters I've been in approximately 16 credit hours, so lots of other MPH students (and also some of my professors) think I'm nuts since a full graduate level course load is considered to be ~9 credits and the maximum end of the spectrum is 12 in this program. Most of the other dual degree students are taking similar course loads though, and we've all been successful thus far.

Also, as I move into DVM stuff full time, there are other classes in the veterinary curriculum that will count toward both my DVM and MPH as well - it's one of the reasons I can get my MPH in a year even though the program here is a 2 year one.

I'm in a similar process now (looking to do a DVM and a MS at the same university but in different colleges) and it's quite frustrating to get straight answers when more and more people get involved. Some people are quick to poo poo the idea. Others are too quick to say "That'll work!" The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and dependent on how much effort you're willing to put into the process to make it work so if you're worried about keeping focused, it might not be the best choice.
I agree with this. Be wary of people who are too optimistic or pessimistic about the realities of a graduate program. Realistically there's a fine line somewhere in the middle and how successful someone will be in different programs depends a lot on their personal needs, preferences, goals, and capabilities.

It doesn't hurt to ask questions and see if it could be something that would doable. Just don't hang all of your hopes on that plan. MPH's are usually one or two year programs so it's not that much more schooling if you can't combine the degrees. I would focus on cost. If you have to pay tuition and fees at two schools at the same time, you might as well wait. The DVM/MPH programs I'm familiar with are popular because they can offer two degrees for pretty close to the price of one.

I previously did the MPH as a stand alone degree. I rather enjoyed it, but I don't think I would have gotten the same experience and knowledge from it were it competing with a DVM.

When I was digging around for online MPHs, the cost of tuition was astounding. USC's program was about 80k?? I think that's so incredibly expensive for a two year program, online or not.

I'm guessing the DVM and MS at your uni is not a track that is meant to be taken together - but since you're trying to organize it, how does scheduling fit with your DVM courses? Are you allowed to take the MS courses during the summer/breaks only?

Given that you already have a Masters tucked under your belt, I think you would have a much easier time doing that than I would.

The answer to this is yes and no. :laugh: Also yes, I'm in CSU's program.

So they give us the option to take up to four credits worth of year 1 DVM classes early during our masters year, with the note that our MPH classes should take precedence and we should only take the DVM classes if we felt we could manage it with our courseload. I took all four DVM credits offered to me last semester (immunology + a research class) and I'm doing it again this semester (nutrition & metabolism + food animal production and food safety). The food animal class technically counts for both my DVM and my MPH.

Both semesters I've been in approximately 16 credit hours, so lots of other MPH students (and also some of my professors) think I'm nuts since a full graduate level course load is considered to be ~9 credits and the maximum end of the spectrum is 12 in this program. Most of the other dual degree students are taking similar course loads though, and we've all been successful thus far.

Also, as I move into DVM stuff full time, there are other classes in the veterinary curriculum that will count toward both my DVM and MPH as well - it's one of the reasons I can get my MPH in a year even though the program here is a 2 year one.

Okay, I see. CSU's program was my top choice and then my dreams were crushed in December :D

I'm actually leaning more and more towards getting a separate degree vs. a combined program if I can't get in, just because I'm a loser and I like taking classes. I guess I'll just have to see if I can handle a graduate program on top of vet school and decide after my first year.

Thank you guys for the help!

Okay, I see. CSU's program was my top choice and then my dreams were crushed in December :D

I'm actually leaning more and more towards getting a separate degree vs. a combined program if I can't get in, just because I'm a loser and I like taking classes. I guess I'll just have to see if I can handle a graduate program on top of vet school and decide after my first year.

Thank you guys for the help!
No problem! Sorry to hear about CSU's combined program. They had a ludicrously competitive year and since the programs are small many great candidates can have challenges getting into them. For what it's worth every single one of the people in my program didn't think we deserved to be in it. :laugh:

Great Post means reward for sharing with others!!!! Amazon gift card coming your way, VMH!!! :highfive: