Online pre med classes??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently taking Chem 1 and Bio 1 online. I have done some fairly deep research on the topic of online classes, and I've come to find that while there are some Med schools that will not accept the classes, they are not the majority -- the number is about 50/50. That said, I am looking to complete a DO, and already have a Masters Degree, so I am not so concerned about how the classes will reflect on my ability to handle a course load. I have also had my thought process confirmed by a few acceptance comity members here on SDN. That said, the classes at UNE do not show as Distance or Online, but the course numbers are different for DL and in person classes: In-person bio, for example, would show as BIO101, whereas DL BIO would show as BIO1010. The labs are actually completed by you, via a lab kit that you purchase if the class requires a lab. The School is regionally accredited, and the classes are credited as well -- they also have a DO school of their own. That said, the registration was amazing. The faculty and admin has been extremely helpful, and I have no qualms with their infrastructure. I will update occasionally to let you know how the classes are going. Hope this helps! Best.

I'm curious, did everything go well with your application and acceptance of these online courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, did everything go well with your application and acceptance of these online courses?

Sure did. I got into my number one choice MD school and a DO school that would have been my second choice. I had a handful of interviews and even more secondaries that I cancelled after getting accepted to the two schools previously mentioned.

My MCAT wasn't stellar nor was my GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Bumping the thread again for a unique situation:

I am a military fighter pilot, living overseas for the next year and a half. Upon transition back to the states, the job outlook has me away from home station (or on "business trips") for greater than 180 days out of the year. I had already taken all required Biology courses (including Micro, Anatomy, Physio) in addition to General Chemistry, in person. Because that will soon be greater than 10 years ago, my only option is to refresh/complete all prerequisites online.

My current plan of action (which is currently underway), is to accomplish this via UNE. Furthermore, once this is completed within a year's time, I intend on enrolling in Liberty's Online Masters in Biomedical Science in order to supplement my education (as it will be paid for with Tuition Assistance from the USAF. If time and money are available to learn, why not???)

I know many universities accept online credit for prerequisites these days, but do they accept the students with online credit? Will it have made a difference if those classes were actually taken previously and (mostly) only retaken to refresh? I am not worried about MCAT scores, GPA, or being "well-rounded." So my question lies in this, in the past few years, have we seen a trend with greater acceptance of online prerequisites for truly unique situations? Are there any major red flags that you see I am missing?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I Think !Online bachelor's degree programs in the sciences are rare, but some can be found in areas useful for medical school preparation, such as zoology and chemical engineering. Pre-med courses consist of chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, math and biochemistry, and sometimes liberal arts topics are required.

Hi! Bumping the thread again for a unique situation:

I am a military fighter pilot, living overseas for the next year and a half. Upon transition back to the states, the job outlook has me away from home station (or on "business trips") for greater than 180 days out of the year. I had already taken all required Biology courses (including Micro, Anatomy, Physio) in addition to General Chemistry, in person. Because that will soon be greater than 10 years ago, my only option is to refresh/complete all prerequisites online.

My current plan of action (which is currently underway), is to accomplish this via UNE. Furthermore, once this is completed within a year's time, I intend on enrolling in Liberty's Online Masters in Biomedical Science in order to supplement my education (as it will be paid for with Tuition Assistance from the USAF. If time and money are available to learn, why not???)

I know many universities accept online credit for prerequisites these days, but do they accept the students with online credit? Will it have made a difference if those classes were actually taken previously and (mostly) only retaken to refresh? I am not worried about MCAT scores, GPA, or being "well-rounded." So my question lies in this, in the past few years, have we seen a trend with greater acceptance of online prerequisites for truly unique situations? Are there any major red flags that you see I am missing?

Thanks!!

Mostly just replying to give an extra bump to the thread. As mentioned above, I had quite a bit of success in my application cycle and probably would have had several more acceptances had I not cancelled everything after getting into my Top 2. I'm only n=1 though and I'm not sure if the schools knew some of my courses were online or not. My prereq sciences were taken online at a community college halfway across the country from my listed address so it wouldn't have been hard to figure out, but the question never came up.

Do what you have to do to make it work and then let things fall into place. Hopefully some more people will chime in with their experiences.

Reactions: 1 user