Only 1 elective in PM&R. Am I in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy4321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to personal circumstances along with my other M4 requirements, I may only be able to do 1 PM&R elective prior to applying for residency. I have had exposure to the field through research and a couple of conferences. I am planning on doing 1-2 more electives after submitting my application. In case it matters, my stats are decent for PM&R, I think (step 1 246), and I've honored 5/6 of my core rotations. My question is, will I be at great disadvantage if I apply with only 1 elective in pm&r?

Members don't see this ad.

You're good as long as you have 1-2 LORs from PM&R. I only did one PM&R rotation, had pretty bad Step 1, awesome Step 2, similar other resume stuff to you. Did fine. Went to above average program that was my #1. Interviewed at a few of the Big 5-6. Happy to PM with you if desired.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be okay, with your scores only 1 PM&R rotation is fine. If possible, try to get another PM&R letter as well (research mentors, etc) but if you can only have 1 PM&R letter + your solid scores + an app that is very PM&R focused, you'll still be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only did one PMR rotation. Key thing is get to know people in your department and get the letter of rec from department head. I've heard its really tough to get many rotations during the Covid times as schools are not accepting many or any people from outside and programs know this.

Due to personal circumstances along with my other M4 requirements, I may only be able to do 1 PM&R elective prior to applying for residency. I have had exposure to the field through research and a couple of conferences. I am planning on doing 1-2 more electives after submitting my application. In case it matters, my stats are decent for PM&R, I think (step 1 246), and I've honored 5/6 of my core rotations. My question is, will I be at great disadvantage if I apply with only 1 elective in pm&r?
Just a word of advice. Don’t worry about things you have no control over.

Just do your best to make yourself a strong applicant and to do well on interviews…and I’m sure you’ll be fine.