Only applying with PM&R Pain doc LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umwolv16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I only have one elective month as a PGY-3 in my PM&R residency. I will be doing it in June, at the end of my PGY-3 year. I am in the process of trying to move this up, so I can do a rotation with an Anesth Pain program and receive a LOR form an anesthesiologist for my fellowship application. I am having difficulty doing this, however.

My question is... if I submit my application containing 2 LORs from PM&R docs and no LOR from a Gas doc until July/August of PGY-4 year, then how much will this handicap me for receiving interviews? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It should not be a problem. Not all applicants have the ability to rotate with an Anesthesia pain program, including many anesthesiology residents (if their program does not have one, or a real one).

Pain programs are little fiefdoms. They are run by benevolent, or sometimes malevolent (ie. not so benevolent) dictators. What one fellowship director likes, another may despise. There are no hard and fast rules. Contact recent graduates. Contact current fellows. Find out the inside info about each program. Whatever you do, don't assume there are any hard and fast rules, or even tendencies, amongst pain fellowship directors. They do what they want, when they want, how they want.​

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not have a single recommendation from a pain doctor and had plenty of interviews. You'll be fine as long as the rec's are strong.

but you're the the extra rare specialty guy. ;)

If able to make the gas pain rotation happen you should. It can only help.