Only One?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know in my class or from the interview trail is 100% sure they are matching and some already know where (given a PD's email that they were sure to match or some other lucky fortune).

So, while I find this hard to believe....am I the only one scared like heck for tomorrow's nrmp email?!? I did only answer 65% on that survey question. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Never fear. I'm guessing that about 5% of the people who were 100% certain will get a rude awakening tomorrow. People fall off long rank lists, and match with short ones all the time. Plus I really doubt that so many PDs are really and truly sending "you're a sure thing" emails. There's probably some wiggle room in all of them. Plus, people can be outright wrong. I was told point-blank that I was certain to match two years ago, and it didn't happen. So there's nothing anyone can say to me this year that will ease my mind on the subject.

In fact, I got a couple of very strongly worded emails this year, and I still only put 95%. There is simply no way to know, short of being mailed a copy of the program's rank list, with a time and date stamp saying it was printed after the deadline.

Nah, feel the same way. Which is why I even spent some time yesterday trying to put a "scramble packet" together:scared:

Don't worry about what everyone says. Especially when they are basing whether or not they match on what the PD said to them. What the PD (or anyone at a specifc program) says means nothing until March 19th.

On the survey I put I'm 100% sure that I will match at one of the ten places I ranked. That's because based on my stats and comparing them to previous years the numbers "say" I am 90+% to match in my top 3, which I roughly translate to nearly 100% for matching at one of the ten places I ranked.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll be scrambling on Tuesday. It's not the end of the world.

People fall off long rank lists, and match with short ones all the time.

:scared: having ranked almost twenty... this is not something i want to hear!! i put 95% confident down on the survey as well.

why do people have to act so cocky? Even if I were 100% sure (and nothing is...) that I was matching at a program, I would just keep it to myself until match day out of respect for other classmates who were in limbo. There are more divas (translation: d-bags) in med school than anywhere else.

OP, if the situation is how you're describing it, I'm thinking you're going to have a lot of disappointed people on your match day when their "sure thing" falls through.

why do people have to act so cocky? Even if I were 100% sure (and nothing is...) that I was matching at a program, I would just keep it to myself until match day out of respect for other classmates who were in limbo. There are more divas (translation: d-bags) in med school than anywhere else.

Wow! I guess we have another one of these on this board:
InternetToughGuy_2.jpg

To some my post may seem cocky to some others it won't.

On the survey I put I'm 100% sure that I will match at one of the ten places I ranked. That's because based on my stats and comparing them to previous years the numbers "say" I am 90+% to match in my top 3, which I roughly translate to nearly 100% for matching at one of the ten places I ranked.

The point of this post was to state, "hey look at the statistics for your given field and get a general idea of if you should even be worried or not." I was once in the OPs shoes (esp. with what is said on SDN), and did some investigating on my own. For that reason, I'm not worried at all and came up with my statistical reasoning. Once I realized this, my mind has been at ease. Sorry if that comes across as cocky, or diva-like, or d-bag-like.

I very well could be one of those divas or d-bags that believes I don't need to fret about anything tomorrow and end up scrambling on Tuesday...so be it. Scrambling is not the end of the world. Yes, it's stressful, yes it's not fun, yes it may look like I'm a failure, but who cares. Look at the bright side, more than likely you'll get a position somewhere. Even if it isn't in your specialty you originally wanted there are many different ways to end up in your specific field. One advantage to scrambling is that you'll know where you are going on Tuesday instead of Thursday.

I still firmly stand by this:
Don't worry about what everyone says. Especially when they are basing whether or not they match on what the PD said to them. What the PD (or anyone at a specific program) says means nothing until March 19th.
Look at Samoa's response or ask me about getting burned in med school admissions. I don't trust anything that's said to me about getting a position until I have the contract (or other papers) firmly in my hand.

-Diva or d-bag

Friday night I had 4 different dreams about the Monday email, which is now just under 20 hours away. Once I know I won't be eating scrambled eggs on Tuesday, I'll be in cloud 9. Any of the places I ranked will make me happy, so Thursday isn't a big concern.

Slow down there, cowboy. I don't think your post was cocky at all. I read cbass1350's post as a response to the OP - that the OP's classmates who think they have a 100% chance of matching are "cocky ... d-bags". I don't think it was a response to your post. Simma down!

Wow! I guess we have another one of these on this board:
InternetToughGuy_2.jpg

To some my post may seem cocky to some others it won't.

The point of this post was to state, "hey look at the statistics for your given field and get a general idea of if you should even be worried or not." I was once in the OPs shoes (esp. with what is said on SDN), and did some investigating on my own. For that reason, I'm not worried at all and came up with my statistical reasoning. Once I realized this, my mind has been at ease. Sorry if that comes across as cocky, or diva-like, or d-bag-like.

I very well could be one of those divas or d-bags that believes I don't need to fret about anything tomorrow and end up scrambling on Tuesday...so be it. Scrambling is not the end of the world. Yes, it's stressful, yes it's not fun, yes it may look like I'm a failure, but who cares. Look at the bright side, more than likely you'll get a position somewhere. Even if it isn't in your specialty you originally wanted there are many different ways to end up in your specific field. One advantage to scrambling is that you'll know where you are going on Tuesday instead of Thursday.

I still firmly stand by this:

Look at Samoa's response or ask me about getting burned in med school admissions. I don't trust anything that's said to me about getting a position until I have the contract (or other papers) firmly in my hand.

-Diva or d-bag

Nice post John. The interesting part is that I didn't even read your post. I was addressing the OP whose concerns were related to rumors that were spread by his own classmates. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings :).

Nice post John. The interesting part is that I didn't even read your post. I was addressing the OP whose concerns were related to rumors that were spread by his own classmates. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings :).

Oops...my bad!

I'm sorry cbass. Please forgive me.

Misinterpreted cbass as calling me out as well for saying that I too am 100% confident that I will match.

I'll go sit in the corner...

regarding correspondence from programs, some do send out emails or letters telling people in no uncertain terms that they are "ranked to match". a friend of mine got an email from one of his top choices explicitly saying,

"dear soso, congratulations on behalf of the selection committee it is my pleasure to inform you that you are among the top candidates on our rank order list and are therefore ranked to match. we sincerely hope you will rank as your top choice and we hope to see you in july."

this was followed by a phone call from the pd 2 days later. its not uncommon, but quite frankly not too many people get correspondence like this. several places at least for radiology sent out stuff like this, and from previous years something saying "ranked to match" is pretty legit. similarly though some places send out vague nice emails telling people they're a strong candidate, would be a good fit, hope to see them etc. very vague pleasantries that all together meaningless. there is no assurance of matching unless it specifically says so.

the overwhelming majority of people match into places where they did not receive any correspondence at all.

Oops...my bad!

Misinterpreted cbass as calling me out as well for saying that I too am 100% confident that I will match.

No hard feelings man. You were trying to help the OP with your post and not trying to make him feel left out. So in my book you're definitely not one of those guys. I'll try to be more clear with my statements next time. Lesson learned :D.

im scared

me too. plus I keep thinking I should have put my number two -> 3, and my number 3 -> 2 and everything feels up in the air and I am basically freaking out. :(

Freaking out as well, got nothing done today.
Will go out and eat Thai tomorrow if I get good news at noon tomorrow. [:)]

I am going into Psych., rotated with the PD at my #1 choice, and recently had a phone call from the PD himself. He said "It would be wonderful to have you join us next year!" I received a 90/A on that away rotation and was told numerous times that I was doing an excellent job by the PD. Also, at this same institution, I had one of the attendings write one of my LOR's (which was noted to be very strong by many other PD's). HOWEVER, I would still not be shocked if I open my email on Thursday only to find that I did not match there. Unfortunately, this process is a complete pile of ****. In the future, I think all extras (dinners, hotels, etc.) should be eliminated and ALL notifications (phone calls, emails, etc.) completely cut out.

Freaking out about tomorrow as well! I suppose I would feel a bit blind-sided if I were to end up in the Scramble. Not sure what else I could have done to improve my application, and if it wasn't good enough to match, how will I fare in the Scramble :eek:? That's what really freaks me out. I agree with the OP that Thursday seems alot less scary... at least I'll be in and I like the places on my list.

at this point...I just want to match, I will be very happy to go to anywhere on my list...hope everyone get a good news tomorrow:love:

what time are the emails supposed to come tomorrow and thursday?? anyone have any clues? are they going to be right at 1pm eastern time, or are we looking at possibly somewhere between 11 and 3? I don't want to be neurotically looking at my blackberry all day tomorrow, but I unfortunetly think I will be...

what time are the emails supposed to come tomorrow and thursday?? anyone have any clues? are they going to be right at 1pm eastern time, or are we looking at possibly somewhere between 11 and 3? I don't want to be neurotically looking at my blackberry all day tomorrow, but I unfortunetly think I will be...

I think both at NOON on each day

I am kinda freaked...ranked 12...

Its out at 12 noon EST...meaning west coast peeps adjust accordingly and if u are already partying in Hawaii then be prepared to awaken by 6am!

:scared:

Oops...my bad!

No one puts John Deere Gree in the corner!

I started a 2-week radiology rotation today and left at about 11. Now I'm pacing the apartment, popping antacids for the ulcer that's probably developing, puffing on two inhalers because my asthma is out of control, and I'm thinking it's about time for some scotch.

Yeah, I'm in the nervous boat.

I started a 2-week radiology rotation today and left at about 11. Now I'm pacing the apartment, popping antacids for the ulcer that's probably developing, puffing on two inhalers because my asthma is out of control, and I'm thinking it's about time for some scotch.

And I thought I was nervous... ;)

Good luck!

High Noon! That sounds like a western gunfight at the ok corral. lol!
:laugh:

Friday night I had 4 different dreams about the Monday email, which is now just under 20 hours away. Once I know I won't be eating scrambled eggs on Tuesday, I'll be in cloud 9. Any of the places I ranked will make me happy, so Thursday isn't a big concern.
Dude, I tossed and turned ALL night last pm...... my slumber was haunted with nightmares about today, and I even had a dream that I failed Step 3. I hate when my brain messes with me!

PHEW! :D

Good luck everyone! :luck:

ETA: Got the email, but couldn't find the info anywhere on the NRMP website...

Dude, I tossed and turned ALL night last pm...... my slumber was haunted with nightmares about today, and I even had a dream that I failed Step 3. I hate when my brain messes with me!

I have been hitting the Benadryl hard for about a month now :laugh: