Open Residency Positions/Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
Obviously, only transfer for a better program.

I have a bone to pick, why does Podiatry NOT update open positions, this is archaic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not even sure podiatry 'leadership' knows the details of some programs... some haven't been site-visited in years, others weren't re-evaluated after past probation or recommendations. Hospital politics and key DPM attendings change often.

When you think about it, most 3 year podiatry programs existing now were not created as such... and many didn't even want to be a surgical program. A lot of them were just sort of 'upgraded' from 1yr or 2yr or non-surgical residency when the APMA decided every grad should do 3 year residency. They wipped up VA programs, changed existing ones that weren't 3yrs into 3yrs (whether or not they really had the cases, facility, overall support to truly meet the reqs).

The residency situation (that they're drastically different and some are quite inadequate for training/boards/competence) is - and always has been - the worst part of podiatry. The ABFAS pass rates and the fact that some grads who graduated "same residency type" do ortho group recon/trauma while other ones do HealthDrive clearly speaks to this. The huge number of our programs that are not in teaching hospitals, aren't in trauma centers, don't have research supports, don't have structure academics, don't have very good depth chart of attending skills/training is sad. Taking some of the best attendings/cases largely out of residency for frivilous fellowships is even more curious.

The directory is more like a 3rd and 4th year podiatry student residencies "guidebook" than an encyclopedia...

...We see it every year where people say that there are a lot of programs listed on directory that don't exist or aren't taking residents. Others close down.

With the way things are now with more pod schools and grads + not putting any programs on probation / closure, don't count on any improvements.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously, only transfer for a better program.

I have a bone to pick, why does Podiatry NOT update open positions, this is archaic.
I know this seems very straight forward and reasonable- but if no one is pushing this or bringing it up to leadership - I doubt they even think about it. If you are really interested in this - you should write to the leadership organizations and try to suggest it. If you are hoping to benefit from it yourself - you probably won't. Jokingly its like planting a tree - its not for you, its for your children.

Keep in mind that podiatry just changed the scramble and turned it into a second match. That's enormous for people - it was a wonderful change. And it was years in the making. If you want something to happen you have to slowly start pushing the boulder up the hill.

Reactions: 1 users