Options for dissatisfied/stressed anesthesia resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really hope this is the case

I work way more than I ever did in residency and fellowship, but the work is more enjoyable and the money doesn’t hurt.

I think a lot of it will depend on your personality. I don’t stress as much now because the majority of the stress in training for me wasn’t so much the medicine but the navigation around difficult people who have power over you as a trainee.

Reactions: 6 users
I work way more than I ever did in residency and fellowship, but the work is more enjoyable and the money doesn’t hurt.

I think a lot of it will depend on your personality. I don’t stress as much now because the majority of the stress in training for me wasn’t so much the medicine but the navigation around difficult people who have power over you as a trainee.
What kind of fellowship did you do? All of my friends that did peds/CT/critical care, hell even regional fellowship are busting their balls. Working way harder than they did in residency. Working even harder than that as an attending is hard to imagine unless they're handing you many bags of money at the end of every month.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of fellowship did you do? All of my friends that did peds/CT/critical care, hell even regional fellowship are busting their balls. Working way harder than they did in residency. Working even harder than that as an attending is hard to imagine unless they're handing you many bags of money at the end of every month.

That’s what happens if you work harder than during residency.

Reactions: 1 users

I did CT. In fellowship, I thought it wasn’t going to get much worse than 24 hrs of straight cardiac emergencies, but it can, having done a few 30+ hour days now. You have no hour restrictions or regulations once you’re out. Doesn’t make it right nor safe, but some practices are busier than others.

The bags of money help. We did inflate our lifestyle a bit, but it’s still way less than what they’re willing to pay me to do this ****. It’s not going to be sustainable over a decade or two, but by then, I’ll have gotten bored/burnt out and will likely have joined my buddies at their cush 40-hr surgicenter jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

I agree. Most of my dissatisfaction as a resident is dealing with difficult people who have power over me. Just trying to make it the next 7 weeks before graduation. I'm so over this place and these people

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Most of my dissatisfaction as a resident is dealing with difficult people who have power over me. Just trying to make it the next 7 weeks before graduation. I'm so over this place and these people

At my graduation dinner. (BTW, did you guys see Loyola wanted their residents to pay for their graduation dinner?!). We each get a few minutes….. said how I learned how not to behave from some of them while staring at them.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
At my graduation dinner. (BTW, did you guys see Loyola wanted their residents to pay for their graduation dinner?!). We each get a few minutes….. said how I learned how not to behave from some of them while staring at them.
“I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.”
—-Kahlil Gibran

Reactions: 1 user
There was a post years ago about a resident’s last day and he wrote about his way out…

It was golden.

Anyone remember that?

Update: After a lot of soul searching, speaking with mentors and acquiring more experience, I've decided to continue with anesthesia residency. I was going through an incredible rough patch at the time of my previous post and needed to take a step back from things. I am very grateful for the different perspectives and insights everyone offered. Good to see that people on this forum still want to help. Thank you all.
I’m glad it’s better.

After reading you original post - I was going to say, DON’T do pain. I think you have a much higher probability of hurting someone doing pain medicine than anesthesia.

Doing pain, someone will get injured. It’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m glad it’s better.

After reading you original post - I was going to say, DON’T do pain. I think you have a much higher probability of hurting someone doing pain medicine than anesthesia.

Doing pain, someone will get injured. It’s just the way the cookie crumbles.
I would second this. Higher volume procedures in pain, and your sticking needles near stenosis and pathology. Pretty much any cervical injection is high risk as well, probably much higher risk than any procedure done in anesthesia.