Optometrist Salary Blog Seeks Writers & Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harper Quinn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've asked the question in the past regarding what sort optometrist salaries can be expected in the profession once out of school. I've decided to create a blog of my own that focuses on salaries and career options. Although, not done yet I'd love feedback and if anyone would like to contribute that would be outstanding. The site can be found at http://www.eoptometristsalary.com
Any other sources you think I should add so people can find accurate information would be great. I think the best help regarding salaries will be getting information right from doctors who are working and know whats really going on. thanks for your continued help and support. I provide a few links you can go to to see the work in progress. Harper

Members don't see this ad.

I know the ophthalmology practices in my area hire full time ODs for about 75K a year starting.

Members don't see this ad :)
DC metro...I also practiced in NJ/NYC where it was very similar

I practice outside philly (45 min out) and I am paying one employee 60K full time and the other on commission. I am taking home about 120. I have been out for 10 years. The employee doctors are fresh out of school. In the surrounding area 75K - 80K starting is about right and in philly a shade lower.

I know that in commerical you can get 120K-130K

120-130 commercial maybe- maybe not? You'll be working like a dog until evening hrs, staff will disrespect you on and off and so will your patients. You can practice as you wish......full scope, ec. After taxes on a W2 you are not going to be smiling all that much. On a 1099, self employed you might be better off w / personal deductions (has its plus and minuses) but still you're not all going to be happy.
Those commercial settings if they offer you that much and more. they will break your b#lls every day w high volume until you burn out.

I practice outside philly (45 min out) and I am paying one employee 60K full time and the other on commission. I am taking home about 120. I have been out for 10 years. The employee doctors are fresh out of school. In the surrounding area 75K - 80K starting is about right and in philly a shade lower.

I know that in commerical you can get 120K-130K

Yes in commercial you can get 120-130k. Some do even better around 150-175k. And if you own a chain of Walmarts....well your income is off the charts. It really depends on how good of a 'business' person you are.

Since optometry is dying (per JasonK), it is advantageous to make all the $ as fast as possible before it all blows up. :)

Since optometry is dying (per JasonK), it is advantageous to make all the $ as fast as possible before it all blows up. :)

Actually, it will be more of an implosion, but that's neither here nor there.

You can make 6 figures in a commercial place (for now, until the flood of ODs come-- If ANYONE thinks that pay will stay that high in a big box store is crazy-- MBAs are not that stupid. They will see how low ODs will go......and it will be very low I have no doubt).

You can do it now but you will hate life. You will likely miss your kid's ball games and school functions. You will be working 6 if not 7 days per week. You will be so burned out by year 2 that you will consider taking your own life or someone elses.

And most of all, every time you tell someone you are an optometrist and they ask you where your office is, you will have to hang your head and say quietly, "I work inside Walmart" and listen to them giggle under their breath (or some out loud).

Picture that!