Optometrist - Surprisingly Low Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazenmadison

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone finally recognized that optometrist are underpaid for the amount of education they have invested.
Oversupply? Scope battles?

Job description: They perform eye exams and make just a fraction as much as some medical professionals. For comparison, the average physician earns $191,880 a year, and dentists, who undergo a similar amount of training, earn $168,870.
Educational requirements: A bachelor's degree is required, followed by a four-year stint in optometry school to earn an O.D. A residency sometimes follows that for those who want to pursue a particular specialty.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jobs-with-surprisingly-low-pay-2014-8?op=1#ixzz3BQxOKaBT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The VA system appreciates the value of our esteemed profession by offering a whooping $60,000 to ODs while paying dentists and other doctors twice this much (and usually more). It's good to be an Optometrist in 2014!

The VA system appreciates the value of our esteemed profession by offering a whooping $60,000 to ODs while paying dentists and other doctors twice this much (and usually more). It's good to be an Optometrist in 2014!
VA's usually pay in the middle to slightly below average pay range, but with very good benefits. Some of those jobs can be around 120k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
" $111, 640 annual average earnings for optometrists." Yeah, if your LUCKY TO MAKE THAT MUCH ON W2 or 1099 -self employed.
Have you noticed recent past trende (less than 10 years ) older ODs who have been practicing for decades and have children, the majority I know didn't follow dads or moms footstep on becoming an OD. They went to medical school or dental school or unrelated to healthcare -other professions.
You think they know something the rest of us don't?

This topic has been beaten to death. Unless you come out with minimal to no debt you are facing dismal prospects. In other words, you'll never get back your money on your investment.
A great time to be an OD in 2014 :(

Don't audiologists do 4 years post-UG and make considerably less than ODs? Could be worse I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
To the article: Why is it surprising that a Biomedical Engineer makes ~$93,000/yr? What did people think they made? A lot of these numbers aren't surprising to me. And chemists making $77k/yr seems like a high estimate. Makes me wonder where the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data might be skewed.

"VA's usually pay in the middle to slightly below average pay range, but with very good benefits. Some of those jobs can be around 120k."
______________________________________________________________________________________

I guess if you consider a starting salary at $63,000 as the "middle or slightly below average". Come to think of it, it probably is now. This is what I was offered in 2003 with 5 years experience and an FAAO under my belt. Also what I see quoted currently for VA positions:

Optometrist
...this position is to function as Chief Optometrist with full program responsibility for...For GS-11: One year of professional optometrist experience equivalent to at least GS-9...For GS-12: One year of professional optometrist experience equivalent to at least GS-11...
Salary:$62,964.00 - $98,455.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade:GS-0662-09/12
Location(s):
Multiple Locations (2)
Open Period:
3/27/2014 to 12/31/2014

Dentist, who have an equal amount of years of training and educational debt start out at $99,000 at the VA. That was my point earlier.

DENTIST (General Dentistry)
As a VA Dentist, your opportunities are endless. The VA...actively seeking a full-time Staff General Dentist who is proficient and productive in all...Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G- 3, Dentist Qualification Standard;Working for the...
Salary:$98,967.00 - $195,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade:VM-0680-00/00
Location(s):Bay Pines, Florida
Open Period:8/21/2014 to 9/4/2014

I stand by what I said. You can dig up bad numbers in certain locations, but it isn't necessarily the norm.

Are optometrist average pay really that low?
I know American's Best is offering 115k with benefits in Florida. If you have a lease then except to earn north of 150k/year..so it's not all doom and gloom.

My wife's lease is making her 200k/year(or at least this year) and the expected growth is 20%/year for the next 5 years. I know two other leases that are making a lot more(one is at 300k/year and the other is at 450k/year). Her friend just got a new lease that makes about 230k/year, so the potential is there. At least you guys are not stuck like us pharmacists who makes 120k forever.

Last edited:
Are optometrist average pay really that low?
I know American's Best is offering 115k with benefits in Florida. If you have a lease then except to earn north of 150k/year..so it's not all doom and gloom.

My wife's lease is making her 200k/year(or at least this year) and the expected growth is 20%/year for the next 5 years. I know two other leases that are making a lot more(one is at 300k/year and the other is at 450k/year). Her friend just got a new lease that makes about 230k/year, so the potential is there. At least you guys are not stuck like us pharmacists who makes 120k forever.

I will have to call this out. There is NO OPTOMETRIST at America's Best making $230,000 per year (at least not after working the first year like a sweat-shop slave seeing 50 five-minute refractions 7-days per week). Very unlikely even $200,000 per year. No way in H_LL anyone is taking home $300,000 or $450,000 per year in Optometry. That is just crazy, crack-smoking talk there!

These ODs might be grossing $450,000/yr (or $200,000/yr) but they are NOT netting that much. Guarantee you!!! Net in Optometry is about 25-30% of Gross.

I will have to call this out. There is NO OPTOMETRIST at America's Best making $230,000 per year (at least not after working the first year like a sweat-shop slave seeing 50 five-minute refractions 7-days per week). Very unlikely even $200,000 per year. No way in H_LL anyone is taking home $300,000 or $450,000 per year in Optometry. That is just crazy, crack-smoking talk there!

These ODs might be grossing $450,000/yr (or $200,000/yr) but they are NOT netting that much. Guarantee you!!! Net in Optometry is about 25-30% of Gross.

I'm pretty sure he/she didn't mean $230k at AB but at a lease. If you have the traffic it's not that difficult to crack $200k with a lease--especially if you do a lot of medical. One of the issues is that these 'better' leases are becoming increasingly rare and some are actually being converted to employee situations but with mixed results. Some are actually converting back to leases because having a Dr employed with little bonus structure creates that union/complacent mentality. This has been a big thing up here in the North East.

There are ODs netting $300+k. However they're becoming increasingly rare.

While it may be possible (to net $300,000 in optometry) in the most unique circumstances, in 20 years of living optometry, traveling around viewing optometry practices, talking with ODs on the interweb, I have NEVER come across/seen an OD NETTING $300,000. I would say it would be akin to seeing Big Foot or being taken aboard a UFO. Can't rule it out per se, but it's very hard to find (and many would say it's unbelievable).

While it may be possible (to net $300,000 in optometry) in the most unique circumstances, in 20 years of living optometry, traveling around viewing optometry practices, talking with ODs on the interweb, I have NEVER come across/seen an OD NETTING $300,000. I would say it would be akin to seeing Big Foot or being taken aboard a UFO. Can't rule it out per se, but it's very hard to find (and many would say it's unbelievable).

What is the "Typical" (and I know that it is variable on location) net salary of an OD after/before taxes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several.

What is the "Typical" (and I know that it is variable on location) net salary of an OD after/before taxes?

Salary figures listed are always before taxes. The median is about $100K, and if you click on the link in the first post of this thread you will see that the average is about $112K.

I know several.

I'm calling BS on this one.

The average income for optometrists is $130,000 for all ODs and around $150,000 for owner ODs.

Even if the standard deviation for owner ODs is $50,000, a near mathematical impossibility, to get to an income of $300,000, they would have to be 3 standard deviations above the norm. That means the 99.7th percentile.

You are therefore claiming that you know "several" ODs who are in the 99.7th percentile. That strains the limits of credulity.

Now I don't doubt you may know several who CLAIM they make that but as I have said thousands of times, people like to puff up how much money they make and optometrists are certainly not immune to that. The only people who know how much I truly make are I my partner, my wife and my accountant and I'm not even sure if my wife really knows. :D

Salary figures listed are always before taxes. The median is about $100K, and if you click on the link in the first post of this thread you will see that the average is about $112K.

So for an example: I go to monster salary.com and want to see how much an optometrist makes in my area and it comes up with 115K, i should assume this is net before taxes?

How accurate is the monster salary.com? What about other site that claim a certain salary, such as BLS.gov?

for a grad fresh out to 5 years of practice, what could I expect to me making realistically? I have heard anywhere from 60K to 130K, assuming I don't wanna live in California or New York.

Well, none are solely earning off a single private practice without associates. I'll give you that.

Okay I did not say you make over 200k at AB. I said they are signing people on at 115k. You can only hit north of 200k IF YOU HAVE A LEASE. No private practice/corporation will give you anything over 120k atm.

When you have a lease, it's EXTREMELY easy to hit above 150k unless your lease is in a Sears or a dead area of town. I can see any big box retail store leases yeilding ODs over 150k. You earn about $80-140 per contact lense pt, and 40-50 for a pt getting glasses. Just see 5-8pts a day and you'll hit way over 150k/year.

I know at least all the ODs with a Target lease and a Walmart lease makes over 200k/year here, and all the lenscrafter leasers make over 150k/year. My wife's district manager showed her that her Target store is ONE OF THE SLOWEST in the region and she STILL ended up with 200k this year working 5 days/week.

Last edited:

I am talking about a lease, not a privately owned store. The overhead for a lease is about 5-15% (you pay rent and office supplies..also for lenscrafters you have to pay for an employee). You do NOT earn a dime on eye glass/CL sales. There are Target stores that sees an average of 15pt on a weekday and 20+ pt on a weekend/friday. If you do the math, these ODs are north of 400k/year. (averg $65/pt X 6100pts/year =$396500)

Okay I did not say you make over 200k at AB. I said they are signing people on at 115k. You can only hit north of 200k IF YOU HAVE A LEASE. No private practice/corporation will give you anything over 120k atm.

When you have a lease, it's EXTREMELY easy to hit above 150k unless your lease is in a Sears or a dead area of town. I can see any big box retail store leases yeilding ODs over 150k. You earn about $80-140 per contact lense pt, and 40-50 for a pt getting glasses. Just see 5-8pts a day and you'll hit way over 150k/year.

I know at least all the ODs with a Target lease and a Walmart lease makes over 200k/year here, and all the lenscrafter leasers make over 150k/year. My wife's district manager showed her that her Target store is ONE OF THE SLOWEST in the region(FL) and she STILL ended up with 200k this year working 5 days/week.

Pardon the ignorance, but what exactly is a "Lease" in this context?

Pardon the ignorance, but what exactly is a "Lease" in this context?
An OD Lease with stores such as Lenscrafters, VisionWorks, Target, Walmart, Sears, JCPenny, Macy's, etc. is an entity in which you pay "rent" to pratice on a fee per patient bases(comps via cash or vision plans). I said "rent" because the rent is just a placeholder in which it's illegal for a corporation to hire an OD and pay that OD a salary(American's Best gets around this by hiring a MD..and have a bunch of OD "work" under this MD..it's totally BS and they should be sued). The rent is usually a small amount(300-500 dollars/month)..or it can be as high as 3000/month if the practice forces you to hire their technician.

You don't participate in any sales of glasses/CLs. You ONLY get paid by your pt and your pt's vision plans. All equipments are provided by the practice. You need to pay for your own office supplies, rent, accountants, taxes, and pratice permits.

A good lease is a pratice that yields a lot of business and traffic so the OD can see as many pt as possible in a given day. Compensation is expected to be between $0(if no pts came in) to $1900(if you saw a bunch of pts who needs contacts)/day.

You are still controlled by the head corporation in a lease. The lease is a priviliage since many people wants to have a good lease. The head corporation can dictate your hours, tell you what to do, and can also fire you or not renew your lease.

Last edited:
An OD Lease with stores such as Lenscrafters, VisionWorks, Target, Walmart, Sears, JCPenny, Macy's, etc. is an entity in which you pay "rent" to pratice on a fee per patient bases(comps via cash or vision plans). I said "rent" because the rent is just a placeholder in which it's illegal for a corporation to hire an OD and pay that OD a salary(American's Best gets around this by hiring a MD..and have a bunch of OD "work" under this MD..it's totally BS and they should be sued). The rent is usually a small amount(300-500 dollars/month)..or it can be as high as 3000/month if the practice forces you to hire their technician.

You don't participate in any sales of glasses/CLs. You ONLY get paid by your pt and your pt's vision plans. All equipments are provided by the practice. You need to pay for your own office supplies, rent, accountants, taxes, and pratice permits.

A good lease is a pratice that yields a lot of business and traffic so the OD can see as many pt as possible in a given day. Compensation is expected to be between $0(if no pts came in) to $1900(if you saw a bunch of pts who needs contacts)/day.

You are still controlled by the head corporation in a lease. The lease is a priviliage since many people wants to have a good lease. The head corporation can dictate your hours, tell you what to do, and can also fire you or not renew your lease.

So the question now becomes: how hard is it to become the lease-holding optometrist?

Most commercial leases are not lucrative. I have never seen a Target store generated the kind of traffic another poster has mentioned. In fact, Target shuttered all of their opticals in my state.

Some commercial locations can be lucrative on the weekends. Far fewer still can be lucrative during the week. Most of the time, you wait around hoping for a walk in and listening to the boop boop boop of the cash registers ringing up 30lb bags of dog food and the children screeching in the portrait studio next door.

The ones that are lucrative are usually not available. They have been snapped up long ago and if a doctor ever leaves one, the company gives it to another leasing holding doctor who's known to be a good "team player" who will make sure the office is staffed with an OD to crank out those refractions.

So the question now becomes: how hard is it to become the lease-holding optometrist?

It can be difficult but you just need to keep an eye out and make connections within the city so you can jump on a practice when it opens up. A lot of the ODs in my state ends building up a pt base with their lease, then ends up opening a store themselves within the 2 mile radius.

Also to the poster stating that not a lot of lease stores are lucrative. This can be a true statement if you are in a state where the traffic for leases are low. I know many leases in which you see 3-5 pts a day and 8-10 on the weekends. But the beauty of these leases are that you end up doing 2 hours of work per day and ends up making 100k for the year. It's definitely better than America's Best..in which you see 25+ a day for the same pay.

The point is, the potential for high pay is out there, and it's not as rare as you think. From looking at the corporate material for the region, 10/14 targets are over 500k(meaning the OD should make a good 140k+)..and 2/14 are million dollar stores..while 2 are in the 800s. My wife's store is currently at 700k with a projected 20% growth every year.

Also to the poster stating that not a lot of lease stores are lucrative. This can be a true statement if you are in a state where the traffic for leases are low. I know many leases in which you see 3-5 pts a day and 8-10 on the weekends. But the beauty of these leases are that you end up doing 2 hours of work per day and ends up making 100k for the year. It's definitely better than America's Best..in which you see 25+ a day for the same pay.

That's misleading because, seeing 3-5 patients per day means you see patients for only 2 hours but your lease will require you to be there all day, not just for the two hours. So you'll see patients for two hours and sit on your butt for 6 hours hoping for a walk in. What good is that?

That's misleading because, seeing 3-5 patients per day means you see patients for only 2 hours but your lease will require you to be there all day, not just for the two hours. So you'll see patients for two hours and sit on your butt for 6 hours hoping for a walk in. What good is that?

I know ODs who lives close to their practice taking long lunch breaks, going home to walk their dogs, going to the gym, shopping around the plaza, watch movies on their laptops..work is no longer work if you end up running errands. It's a good freaken life making 100k/year not doing anything all day. You are not really being micromanaged AND if you were forced to work "harder" by going outside flipping signs/or doing advertisements (jk, no ODs flip signs outside)..then you are only helping yourself to make even MORE money.

Lastly, stores that get 3-5 pts/day on average are part time leases. You are only required to be there 3 to 4 out of 7 days most of the time. They try to consolidate as much as they can. So you end up "working" 24-32 hours a week making 100k/year..compare that to AB in which you work 44 hours/week making the same. (and no, if you want health benefits then you should work for AB..these type of leases are worth it if you are willing to take on 2 leases OR have a significant other paying for your health insurance).

I know ODs who lives close to their practice taking long lunch breaks, going home to walk their dogs, going to the gym, shopping around the plaza, watch movies on their laptops..work is no longer work if you end up running errands. It's a good freaken life making 100k/year not doing anything all day. You are not really being micromanaged AND if you were forced to work "harder" by going outside flipping signs/or doing advertisements (jk, no ODs flip signs outside)..then you are only helping yourself to make even MORE money.

Lastly, stores that get 3-5 pts/day on average are part time leases. You are only required to be there 3 to 4 out of 7 days most of the time. They try to consolidate as much as they can. So you end up "working" 24-32 hours a week making 100k/year..compare that to AB in which you work 44 hours/week making the same. (and no, if you want health benefits then you should work for AB..these type of leases are worth it if you are willing to take on 2 leases OR have a significant other paying for your health insurance).

Lastly, stores like Lenscrafters/VisionWorks are usually always high volume. The optical will close down if there are only 2-3 pts who buy glasses/day. They can't employ 6+ techs/opticians/glass labs if they only sell 1-2 pair of glasses/day.

That sounds good to me. Making a 100K while only seeing a few patients a day. That's nothing to complain about.

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds good to me. Making a 100K while only seeing a few patients a day. That's nothing to complain about.

I'd play phone

Would it be possible to make 130K a year doing this lease stuff?

I would be just fine seeing patients for two hours and sitting on my butt playing candy crush for 6 and taking home 100K/year. Sure, it's boring, but I can deal with boring as long as there is money to be made

I'd play phone

Would it be possible to make 130K a year doing this lease stuff?

I would be just fine seeing patients for two hours and sitting on my butt playing candy crush for 6 and taking home 100K/year. Sure, it's boring, but I can deal with boring as long as there is money to be made

......... -____-

Where do you people think these jobs are coming from? Who in their right mind is paying you to sit there doing nothing?
Oh yeah, that $40 reimbursement from VSP, right? Cha-ching.
So yes, that $40 x 5 pts. = $200. Multiply that by 365 days and you get $73,000. Then you pay your staff. And your lease. And your malpractice. And your state license. And your supplies. And your bills.

You don't need staff? Have fun answering the phone, doing your own billing, doing repairs, being on hold with insurance, signing pts. in and out, doing insertion and removal training, keeping CL inventory, and then a couple more hours being on hold with insurance.

Your materials? That's going to the big corporation since you have a lease.

...Keep dreaming

Edit: Just realized all the lease info is coming from a pharmacist. No wonder these facts/numbers weren't making any sense.

Before he tells us how much he (or his wife) knows about our profession, if it's so easy, why wouldn't everyone own a lease?! Why would anyone in their right mind sign up with America's Best to see 40+ pts/day? They are currently in expansion, FYI.

Last edited:
......... -____-

Where do you people think these jobs are coming from? Who in their right mind is paying you to sit there doing nothing?
So yes, that $40 x 5 pts. = $200. Multiply that by 365 days and you get $73,000. Then you pay your staff. And your lease. And your malpractice. And your state license. And your supplies. And your bills.

You don't need staff? Have fun answering the phone, doing your own billing, doing repairs, being on hold with insurance, signing pts. in and out, doing insertion and removal training, keeping CL inventory, and then a couple more hours being on hold with insurance.

...Keep dreaming

Edit: Just realized all the lease info is coming from a pharmacist. No wonder these facts/numbers weren't making any sense.

Before he tells us how much he (or his wife) knows about our profession, if it's so easy, why wouldn't everyone own a lease?! Why would anyone in their right mind sign up with America's Best to see 40+ pts/day? They are currently in expansion, FYI.

That's what I didn't understand. If optometrists are at Walmart or target are salaried, the. They must recive money by hours worked, right?

......... -____-

...Keep dreaming

Did you read my explanation of a lease?

Yes I am a pharmacist, but I know the numbers probably better than most ODs because I take the time to do my wife's payroll, set up her business (LLC->S-corp), all her accounting, and her year end taxes. If there's one thing I know about her lease, is her numbers.

True, 40 dollars/VSP(sometimes $19..sometimes 65..depending on pt's vsp plan and copays)
Humana: 45
Eyemed: 40 (sometimes 35)

Yes, I know all the numbers.

Your statements are just not true. First of all, if you see 5 pts a day, with 6 hours of free time, why do you need staff? You can't take 10 mins out of your time to do the insurance? My wife requires about 45 mins a day to do the insurance for 15 pts..so no it's NOT that hard. Second, Opticals like Target provide you with opticians depending on volume. 1 optician/day if you see 5 pts/day..2 opticians if you see 10, 3 if you see an average of 15+. They can handle most phone calls and the PRE-Testing. As for the other stuff, my wife doesn't have a problem finding time to do all that..because there will be days in which 2 pts walked in and that's IT.

I like how you underestimate the earnings potential and cherry pick VSP's normal eye glasses reimbursement. Your assumption= no one need contacts. Your second assumption: you see 5 pts on weekends as well.

If your optical average 5 pts/day, the optical will close down. If you add the busy seasons and weekends, a SLOW optical should average around 8-10pts/day. Especially when you are working 3-4 days out of the week, they will consolidate and you will end up seeing more pts on those working days.

Here are more numbers for you.
VSP contacts: 105
VSP mono-vision: 135-155
Eye med Contacts: 85
Eye med toric: 95
Eyemed mono-vision 135

You should see an average of 35-40% contact pts...so no you just don't make 40/pt. The average is around 65-70/pt if you factor in contacts.

All of a sudden, you are at 100k working in a slow optical.

And what materials are you talking about? You don't order glasses, you just need to buy your own forms, eye drops, and prescription forms.

Lastly to answer your question about AB
AB has its pros: you get vacation days, you have health insurance, 401k matching, disability insurance, 500 dollars/year of free HSA money, and a predictable paycheck.
It's up to you to figure out if AB is worth it or not. I have done the calculations, if you want your lease to equal that of AB financially, you need a lease that can yield at lease 145k/year after expenses (135k/year if your significant other can provide you with health insurance..obamacare is very expensive for OD lease holders).
Of course this does not factor in "work". If you see 40+ pts/day at 65/pt on average, AB is underpaying their ODS by about $550,000/year.

So why don't everyone have a lease?
1. Good leases are hard to come by. Bad leases are not terrible but they are also not a full time job.
2. People have 200k worth of student loans so they want the health insurance and the predictable paycheck.
3. ODs doesn't want to deal with insurance or setting up a business. It's a lot of hard work initially while AB hands everything to you on a silver platter.

My wife almost didn't take the lease, even though I told her it's worth it (unlike her, I factor in new housing developments, potential growth, host store sales, and local trends). Now she's at 197k (Oct2013-Oct2014)for the year. She just paid off her 110k worth of student loans in one year with no regrets. Ab promised her a 2.3% raise every year. Target is predicting a 20% growth/year (which is the same prediction as last year, in which my wife hit a 30% growth in pt count). My wife is doing half the work of AB but making 2x more, and that's the power of a lease. The sky is the limit..if you have a good lease. Is 200k/year maxed out for her? Not even close. Target's prediction is that in 5 years, she will make about 350k/year. She'll never see a number like that anywhere, except with a good lease.

One thing she hates: taking time off is a bitch because you have to hire people.

Last edited:
That's what I didn't understand. If optometrists are at Walmart or target are salaried, the. They must recive money by hours worked, right?

No, Walmart or Target does not give the OD a salary. It's strictly fee per pt. If you see 0 pt that day, you make 0 dollars.

......... -____-

...Keep dreaming

Well, you can do better than $40 an exam and 5 patients per day.

No, Walmart or Target does not give the OD a salary. It's strictly fee per pt. If you see 0 pt that day, you make 0 dollars.

Singuy, which Target does your wife work at? I am sure that location is a big key to success. Also being that Target is under Luxottica, are you limited to only accepting Eyemed? Or can you also accept VSP?

Singuy, which Target does your wife work at? I am sure that location is a big key to success. Also being that Target is under Luxottica, are you limited to only accepting Eyemed? Or can you also accept VSP?

Absolutely every store is different and not all stores are successful. The point is, even when the store has no business, you may make the same as AB by seeing 1/4 of the pts and going to work 1/2 of the time. Of course, it's not for those who wants health insurance and a stable paycheck.

Target now accepts some VSP, and all insurance under Eye med's network(like Humana).