Optometrists vs Ophthalmologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optstud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have heard about the "battles" between optometrists and ophthalmologists but never knew exactly what was the real core of the problems. I know I can search this up but I just wanted to get a few comments from practicing optometrists from your experiences. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I have heard about the "battles" between optometrists and ophthalmologists but never knew exactly what was the real core of the problems. I know I can search this up but I just wanted to get a few comments from practicing optometrists from your experiences. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

In the interest of not starting yet another in a loooong line of flame wars, why don't you try doing that search you were talking about and then if you have any SPECIFIC questions, post those.
The archives of this website are filled with just about everything you're gonna want to know.

In the interest of not starting yet another in a loooong line of flame wars, why don't you try doing that search you were talking about and then if you have any SPECIFIC questions, post those.
The archives of this website are filled with just about everything you're gonna want to know.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Otherwise 1..2..3..4, I declare a flame war! :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Thanks!

That's an easy answer that requires no flame wars; the real core of the problem is (as the O'Jays sang): For the love of money :banned:!

I'll give you my take on it... and add fuel to this fire.

My frustration with SOME in optometry lies with the fact that the AOA attempts to increase scope of practice by paying off legislators. Bills show up in state houses every single year asking for surgical privileges for everything an ophthalmologists can do. Essentially asking for the right to perform EVERY ocular surgery. (Don't even think of arguing with this - see the original version of the OK, CA, NM laws). Even the law makers realize this is a bit ridiculous - but occasionally with enough lobbying, a few things slip through.

Just as optometrists are proud of their training, ophthalmologists are proud of theirs. I find gaining scope of practice through legislation ($) and not by showing competence or completing the needed training as very weak – no matter what the field of work. I will also use the “go to medical school” if you want to start doing surgery. There is a route available to become a physician/surgeon. Anyone in this country can pursue it if they would like. I am a good example of this.

Many in optometry say. "I don't want to do surgery" "I'm not asking for this." Still, the AOA continues to do it and optometry may benefit from it, but do patients? While many (even most) optometrists and ophthalmologists get along fine, the AAO and AOA spend ridiculous amounts of resources fighting the scope of practice battle. On a national level, it creates negative energy among the two. I suspect this will only continue to increase as optometry continues to increase the number of graduates and finding a job becomes more challenging.

I smell a flame war! But I will be as constructive as possible...200 UL, if you haven't already figured out, the reason why these scope of practice bills start out so large (ie including non-general anesthesia surgical procedures or whatever) is the fact that once the bill gets "negotiated" and "contracted" down------> what the optometry supporters "really want---> decent amt of orals, minor surgical procedures, or whatever they feel is within the scope of their training, they eventually get because it is "left over" in the bill. You have to start with a LARGE bill in many cases to achieve anything going up against medicine who has a) more money b) more legislators in their pocket and b) has always been ruthless in its attacks against optometry or any other non-MD doctor profession that is trying to evolve in a "self-taught" manner within the boundaries of their professional education. Until your side (Medicine-Ophthalmology at an organized political level) stops using devisive and demeaning rhetoric + tactics then your take on this is extremely biased. Medicine-Ophthalmology will always attack optometry for economical reasons because it occupies similar ground in eye care. It is a turf-war plain and simple with patient care being used as an excuse to wage war. And by the way I am happy being in optometry school. GO OPTOMETRY!!!!

Let the flaming begin.............:thumbup: or we could actually have an intelligent conversation about it (but this will not happen on this silly forum)

Last edited:
What it really comes down to is the almighty dollar. Sadly, its the patients who get lost in the shuffle.

Guys...let's be serious now. This thread was dying a nice, slow, peaceful death until it was resurected. Let's not start down this road again. Just let the thread die, OK?

Again...to the OP....do some searching on these forums. All of these issues have been hashed out for years, including many generations of optometry students and ophthalmology residents. Search through those and if you have SPECIFIC questions, feel free to post them then.

For now, just let this one die.

Again,

The scope of Optometry should NOT be dictated by ophthalmology or medicine. They are separate professions period. If ODs start getting training in A, B, or C then they should be allowed to do A, B, or C. It should not matter if it overlaps another profession at all.

The ONLY reason OMDs don't want expanded scope is that they don't want Optometrists who average around $100k per year taking a piece of their $400k per year pie.

If I might make a suggestion. Over in the Anesthesia forum they have a totally separate sub-forum where every single CRNA/AA/Scope thread gets immediately moved. I think something like that would be a fantastic idea on this topic as well.

If I might make a suggestion. Over in the Anesthesia forum they have a totally separate sub-forum where every single CRNA/AA/Scope thread gets immediately moved. I think something like that would be a fantastic idea on this topic as well.

So the Anesthesia forum has a "sub-forum" where they can't discuss scope issues?

What about the Anesthesia main forum? Are they allowed to discuss them there? Just as we're doing in this Optometry main forum?

Edit: I think I got what you mean. I think you mean the following:

"... separate sub-forum where every single CRNA/AA/Scope thread gets immediately moved to."

I read the comment saying that ODs should control what they want to do. The reality of the situation is that they do however not when it comes to surgery. The AMA can't legislate me to become an airline pilot or astronaut no matter what my extra training is. Airline pilots and astronauts control who join their ranks. I know that ODs now are trained better than ever but it is just not the same training as a medical doctors. You can ask any ophthalmologist who was first an optometrist and then went to medical school. I am not saying OD school is not difficult because it is but the training is not the same level as residency. I have had to code patients I have operated on. I can't see how one can do that if you dont have medicine training. I think most of my OD friends are not interested in doing surgery but there are a few people who have (in my mind) a chip on their shoulder and want to be treated the same and do the same stuff. If that is the case go to medical school. If not, why not let opticians do a weekend refracting course and let them refract and dispense glasses? The same feeling that went through you body when you read that is what an ophthalmologist feels who trained for an extra 4-6 years when an OD says "I could do a weekend course and do surgery". It's like WTF?

same feeling that went through you body when you read that is what an ophthalmologist feels who trained for an extra 4-6 years when an OD says "I could do a weekend course and do surgery". It's like WTF?

Why are you bringing up a 2year old thread? Why? :thumbdown:

I like how someone brings up an old thread to try and rile a few feathers....i think people are smarter than that :rolleyes: