optometry and the gender gap - venting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irisiris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

this post is to partially vent and also get everyone's opinion. SO I am a woman and I have worked for a private practice optometrist's office for 2 years now. The male owner (in his mid thirties) is constantly dropping the most sexist comments about woman and optometry. One time he straight up tells me I would have a easy time getting in if only I was a man. What are you implying? That I should seriously consider a sex change? He constantly makes small comments that too many women and not enough men are in the profession - it obviously really really bothers him and I do not think it should. To me it says that he feels inferior as an OD because if woman can do the job it is somehow less than.

It went so far that one time I attended a a party at an optometry school's president's house and my boss goes on a tangent about the incoming class being all women TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL (who is in his mid sixties). Beyond being an awkward social faux pas.. and the president calmly cites some sociological studies that woman are participating in all professional fields, that there is a general trend that men are opting for technical education or finding careers where a graduate degree is unnecessary and that we should embrace it. Glory moment for me that the president shuts him down, but I still find it incredibly disrespectful, especially considering that his first business partner is a woman who now runs her own practice successfully and our subsequent associate doctors have all been intelligent woman who have administered a very high quality of patient care.

On Tuesday I get irritated all over again because one of my boss's friend and associate optometrist (who works for us every now and then) stops by the office and is small talking with our full time associate OD (who is a woman who only graduated a year ago). I overhear him telling her how the new class at the optom school in our city is "majority women again..... :/ ". It took a lot for me to not smack him in the face. Like do you not realize you are telling an accomplished woman this to her face?who are you that is so high and mighty? For two years I've learned about your personal life & OD career pitfalls and failures, but somehow you are still better because of your gender??

Have any other women encountered that? Maybe while shadowing or talking to other women optometrists? Maybe while working as a optician or technician like me? I have met many many wonderful OD's who I have admiration and respect for and never once did I factor gender in the equation. What loses my respect is this kind of misogynistic rhetoric, no matter what.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't waste your time and energy on this guy. It sounds like he's just someone who is unhappy with himself and his life, so he wants to take it out on others and put other people down. You'll find idiots like this everywhere you go. After a certain point, you have to just realize that it's not worth dwelling on negative people. Sure, you can try to calmly reason with him and try to make him see the error of his ways, but he is an adult, and if were to have some sort of wake-up call, then it probably would have happened by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

this post is to partially vent and also get everyone's opinion. SO I am a woman and I have worked for a private practice optometrist's office for 2 years now. The male owner (in his mid thirties) is constantly dropping the most sexist comments about woman and optometry. One time he straight up tells me I would have a easy time getting in if only I was a man. What are you implying? That I should seriously consider a sex change? He constantly makes small comments that too many women and not enough men are in the profession - it obviously really really bothers him and I do not think it should. To me it says that he feels inferior as an OD because if woman can do the job it is somehow less than.

It went so far that one time I attended a a party at an optometry school's president's house and my boss goes on a tangent about the incoming class being all women TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL (who is in his mid sixties). Beyond being an awkward social faux pas.. and the president calmly cites some sociological studies that woman are participating in all professional fields, that there is a general trend that men are opting for technical education or finding careers where a graduate degree is unnecessary and that we should embrace it. Glory moment for me that the president shuts him down, but I still find it incredibly disrespectful, especially considering that his first business partner is a woman who now runs her own practice successfully and our subsequent associate doctors have all been intelligent woman who have administered a very high quality of patient care.

On Tuesday I get irritated all over again because one of my boss's friend and associate optometrist (who works for us every now and then) stops by the office and is small talking with our full time associate OD (who is a woman who only graduated a year ago). I overhear him telling her how the new class at the optom school in our city is "majority women again..... :/ ". It took a lot for me to not smack him in the face. Like do you not realize you are telling an accomplished woman this to her face?who are you that is so high and mighty? For two years I've learned about your personal life & OD career pitfalls and failures, but somehow you are still better because of your gender??

Have any other women encountered that? Maybe while shadowing or talking to other women optometrists? Maybe while working as a optician or technician like me? I have met many many wonderful OD's who I have admiration and respect for and never once did I factor gender in the equation. What loses my respect is this kind of misogynistic rhetoric, no matter what.

Have you asked him if or why he views a disproportionate number of women in the incoming class as a problem?

He did not tell me directly, but has told the male OD students I work with that he thinks it brings the profession down. He believes that the women who pick optometry as a career want a job they can do part-time so they can focus on having children and raising kids. He thinks this is why the salaries of ODs have gone down and why ODs sometimes have to patch together 2 or 3 part-times to make up a full time schedule.

Thanks for the level-headed input everyone. I think working with him everyday the irritations added up.

Well if new incoming class is majority women, then as a man, all I can say is that the women are smarter.

He did not tell me directly, but has told the male OD students I work with that he thinks it brings the profession down. He believes that the women who pick optometry as a career want a job they can do part-time so they can focus on having children and raising kids. He thinks this is why the salaries of ODs have gone down and why ODs sometimes have to patch together 2 or 3 part-times to make up a full time schedule.

Do you think that that is not accurate?