Optometry International in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODgirl18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm an Optometry Graduate from the prestigious (or the best school) for optometry in my country. Next month, I will settle down in US with family and also I have some relatives in medical field working and have been settling in US. The optometry course in our country offers a six year degree ( 2 years pre-optometry and 4 years of Optometry Proper). My school recently a certified international affiliate member of the ASCO. I want to know if I have to study optometry in US since I am considered as an international applicant OR it will be a straight way to take State board exam for optometry?? This decision makes me confuse all the time. Hoping for some reply and information, it would be a great help. Thank you !:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a foreign optometrist but I'm on my way to take the Nbeo exam with help the California board of Optometry, so first things to do is contact this board no matter where you are located in the USA

Last edited:
Hii..... I am a foreign Optometrist. I filled the application and form and have written and passed CALIFORNIA Optometry Law exam since 3months ago. Buh I havn't heard from the board yet. I don't even know the next step to take. Please help
Which exams u took ? Nbeo ?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'm a foreign optometrist but I'm on my way to take the Nbeo exam with help the California board of Optometry, so first things to do is contact this board no matter where you are located in the USA
Please can I get your email address. Want to ask some questions. Thank you

I have the same situation, maybe even in the same school as ODgirl18. Any tips to be a licensed OD here in the USA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Centro Escolar University in the Philippines. I finished my 6 year degree program few years ago and I’m planning to be licensed in the united states. I just want to know if there are other ways (like sponsorship from a certain state) that I can do instead of enrolling to the advanced standing program in the USA.

I would love more info on this too; apparently, California no longer offers state sponsorship. Are there any other states who sponsor foreign grads to write the NBEO?

I would love more info on this too; apparently, California no longer offers state sponsorship. Are there any other states who sponsor foreign grads to write the NBEO?

Hi. Did you get any information or answer regarding your question? We are on the same boat, I think it's best if we communicate regarding this matter. I'm also contacting different state boards as of the moment. :)

Hi. Did you get any information or answer regarding your question? We are on the same boat, I think it's best if we communicate regarding this matter. I'm also contacting different state boards as of the moment. :)
Sure, I tried messaging you but it 's not letting me

How did you do on the exam...I have some serious questions can I pm or Facebook you?

Were you also sponsored by the state board or you graduated from an accredited school? If by the state board, which state? Thank you. :)

Sure, I tried messaging you but it 's not letting me

I guess we'll just communicate here. What's the update of your sponsorship? Did you find a state that can sponsor you? Did you take NBEO exams already? :)

Hello! I'm an Optometry Graduate from the prestigious (or the best school) for optometry in my country. Next month, I will settle down in US with family and also I have some relatives in medical field working and have been settling in US. The optometry course in our country offers a six year degree ( 2 years pre-optometry and 4 years of Optometry Proper). My school recently a certified international affiliate member of the ASCO. I want to know if I have to study optometry in US since I am considered as an international applicant OR it will be a straight way to take State board exam for optometry?? This decision makes me confuse all the time. Hoping for some reply and information, it would be a great help. Thank you !:)
when I took my part III, two ODs from other countries were sponsored to take NBEO part III.

hello, currently in a similar situation and i just noticed this post was shared 5 years back, how did you go about it, please share.

I have the same situation, maybe even in the same school as ODgirl18. Any tips to be a licensed OD here in the USA?

hello, currently in the same situation. did you ever find a way to get licensed? please share!