Or staff member needs medical attention during a case...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arantius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So want to pose this question. Had an OB resident syncopize in the OR during a gyn case so I went over to check a pulse whilst telling the circulator to call for help. She had a pulse and looked ok so I focused my attention back to my patient on the table.... Crna ran in the room in about 30 seconds and the resident was taken to the ED. OB attending pissed and wanted me to focus on the resident, when my attending got in the room he emphasized that I shouldn't have even helped at all. Thoughts on this scenario?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Forget about it. Residency is a incessant scenario where there may be no right answer but someone will get pissed anyway. Do whatever you feel is right.

Reactions: 6 users
So want to pose this question. Had an OB resident syncopize in the OR during a gyn case so I went over to check a pulse whilst telling the circulator to call for help. She had a pulse and looked ok so I focused my attention back to my patient on the table.... Crna ran in the room in about 30 seconds and the resident was taken to the ED. OB attending pissed and wanted me to focus on the resident, when my attending got in the room he emphasized that I shouldn't have even helped at all. Thoughts on this scenario?

Thanks

You did nothing wrong. Yes, the patient is your priority, but you didn't abandon them in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your attending and the OB attending are obviously the typical dramatic, emotionally unstable, academic type who excel at turning everything into a big deal!

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks

Why didn't the ob attending focus on their resident

Reactions: 5 users
your job is to #1 take care of your OR patient. If they are stable you can briefly help attend to an emergency in the room (the staff member passing out) but the priority should be for someone to call for help so they can come attend to her while you then return to your patient. But if your patient is stable you can and should obviously help attend to the person in need.

Reactions: 2 users

100% right.

Get help.

If you can attend to the staff member while still doing your primary task (which you ought to be able to, given that you're still in the room), then do so.

If not, that's why you called for help.

Both of those attendings are wrong btw

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks

Your responsibility is for the patient. It's the same situation when the newborn isn't doing well and they ask for our help. We help because we're nice and no one wants to see a baby die, the correct answer is your responsibility is for the patient. The circulator can tend to the resident and you can surely help if you think it's needed.

This happened to me during a Peds Gi case. Med stud straight up passed out. Everyone in the room freaking out including the GI attending and I'm the calm one directing them on what to do. The GI doc turned and everyone else in the room turned their full attention to the new patient. My patient was in a stable plane of anesthesia and I could easily multitask. The point is if your patient which is your number 1 priority needs your attention then don't divert your attention. If you are cruising sure you can manage to lay the person down and call for help while looking at your monitor. This is all basic common sense stuff.

I wonder if your attending wasn't saying this to make the OB back off. It is an old trick used by people who prefer not to argue directly, to correct a third party (you) within earshot of the intended target of your comments.

I do this frequently when I want to teach the old fart surgeon/older partner about a topic which has changed since they read the literature in 1982. Invite a med student in the room and discuss. Some would call that spineless I am sure, but to me, they learn the topic and it avoids bruising their fragile egos, so no real loser.

You acted properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were face down on the floor, would you want an OB attending running the code? ;)
A million "likes", "favorites", "retweets", etc for this one

I have a feeling the OB resident might have been a cute chick which might explain why the anesthesia resident was so eager to help :)

this biggest conundrum of them all. "damn i hate this OBs but this one is cute AF"....i live this one currently where i work. Girl is her 40s but damn near looks 23....and fine. she gets ACLS....the others? i'm taking care of the mom

A million "likes", "favorites", "retweets", etc for this one

this biggest conundrum of them all. "damn i hate this OBs but this one is cute AF"....i live this one currently where i work. Girl is her 40s but damn near looks 23....and fine. she gets ACLS....the others? i'm taking care of the mom

Wow. This does great things for our public image as a specialty. We offer different care depending on how hot the rest of the room is and we're more likely to check a femoral if you're a dime piece and you hit the floor. Bravo

Reactions: 1 users
If you were face down on the floor, would you want an OB attending running the code? ;)

"Quick. Get him into Trendeleberg! Stirrups, I need stirrups, STAT!"

I kid. The image just came to mind because we have actually put a few legs up on stools to help someone who just syncoped due to insufficient breakfast prior to their first OR experience.

Last edited:
Wow. This does great things for our public image as a specialty. We offer different care depending on how hot the rest of the room is and we're more likely to check a femoral if you're a dime piece and you hit the floor. Bravo
giphy.gif

You do understand that no one is being serious here don't you?

Reactions: 2 users
You do understand that no one is being serious here don't you?

No I don't think they're serious. I do think portraying this behavior on a public message board when anesthesiologists and Physicians in general have a public image problem is stupid.

Everyone reads these boards. We have patients posting on here all the time. I just think we should all be professional when discussing our jobs. It sets a good example for newcomers and might give patients some confidence in who we are as a group.

Patients have no clue what goes on in the OR and some of them do fear that they will be molested/assaulted while they are asleep. There are several cases of anesthesiologists being convicted of this in recent past so their fears have basis. For any patient reading this, I don't think this thread would inspire any confidence in anesthesiologists as a group. That is why I think suggestions like these, joking or not, should be taboo.

No I don't think they're serious. I do think portraying this behavior on a public message board when anesthesiologists and Physicians in general have a public image problem is stupid.

Everyone reads these boards. We have patients posting on here all the time. I just think we should all be professional when discussing our jobs. It sets a good example for newcomers and might give patients some confidence in who we are as a group.

Patients have no clue what goes on in the OR and some of them do fear that they will be molested/assaulted while they are asleep. There are several cases of anesthesiologists being convicted of this in recent past so their fears have basis. For any patient reading this, I don't think this thread would inspire any confidence in anesthesiologists as a group. That is why I think suggestions like these, joking or not, should be taboo.

stiwt.gif

Back on topic. You did it perfectly.
Recently I got a call from the circulator to come to room 2 right away. Since the circulator never calls me, I figure the patient is dying, so I drop what I'm doing and run in there. The surgeon (podiatrist) is standing in the middle of the room staying sterile, while everyone else is kneeling at the head of the bed. I don't see the CRNA. I come around the table and see the CRNA crumpled on the floor. My first step was to check the patient. Stable vials, LMA in place, gas flowing, ventilating. Then I assessed the CRNA. Breathing, tachycardia, and moving in a post ictal way. Then I went back to the patient until another CRNA arrived 2 minutes later.
When the unexpected happens, prioritize. Who is in the greatest immediate danger? Deal with that person first. When nobody is in immediate danger, take care of your patient until you are relieved to attend other matters.
Ignore the attendings. You did good.

I don't get it
S/he's referencing the most common causes of seizures. In no particular order:
1. Known seizure disorder
2. Injury/intracranial mass
3. Electrolyte abnormalities
4. Intoxication
5. Withdrawal