Oral Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macdaddy23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the various Oral board review courses or personally taken any of them? There is one in Florida that I have heard is one of the best, pretty intense though, but I don't remember the name.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

macdaddy23 said:
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the various Oral board review courses or personally taken any of them? There is one in Florida that I have heard is one of the best, pretty intense though, but I don't remember the name.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I took the SC-CEP oral board course (in Vegas). I enjoyed the format-- several lectures to 'learn the ropes' then multiple practice cases. all cases were done with another student, so you were able to watch the case unfold and see what works and what doesn't work; then do a case yourself. At 2 1/2 days the length was perfect (some of the courses are 5+ days.)

http://www.sccep.org/orals2.html

Disclaimer: this couse is run by the attendings from my residency program- still it was the best review course I went to.

Thanks EM Raiden for your experience. Anyone else have experience with the board review courses? Also what is the name of the boot camp one in Florida?
Thanks.

macdaddy23 said:
Thanks EM Raiden for your experience. Anyone else have experience with the board review courses? Also what is the name of the boot camp one in Florida?
Thanks.

I did AAEM in Chicago. Two day course with one on one practice encounters with BC EM guys, some of whom were in academics. I am assuming that they do it because they enjoy it because unless I am mistaken, the instructors are only compensated for airfare, hotel, and meals. Introduction was followed by multiple single and triple case encounters with examiners. The format was almost exactly like the actual exam. Of course feedback is given at the conclusion of each case. The cases the second day were actually more difficult than the oral board which I took 3 days ago.

Overall very professional and beneficial however somewhat pricey. If you want a cheaper route, try Rivers book and CD (dated) and practice with a friend. Note that most people do not take a review course and the first time pass rate is like 90%.

Note that you should not discuss the content of actual oral board cases with anybody. ABEM seemed pretty insistent upon this point... the first rule is do not talk about fight club.