Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drifter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been through the real deal, how detailed are the orals? Do I need to know doses from memory? I look a lot of this stuff up when I need it, especially with kids. Also, are there procedure steps that should be committed to memory - besides the obvious RSI, LP, CT - such as crics or thoracotomies? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

drifter said:
For those who have been through the real deal, how detailed are the orals? Do I need to know doses from memory? I look a lot of this stuff up when I need it, especially with kids. Also, are there procedure steps that should be committed to memory - besides the obvious RSI, LP, CT - such as crics or thoracotomies? Thanks for any input.

*Butthead voice* You said 'oral'. Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh..... :smuggrin:

Just got in from the bar and had to say something..... :laugh:

It's not so much about memorization. It's more about setting priorities and being aggressive with stuff. Don't let the drunk guy leave AMA. He has a subdural. Don't leave the bedside of the hypotensive bradycardic patient because the nurse is bugging you about the impatient guy with the ingrown townail.

I bought the Carol Rivers CDs and they were OK. Thery were something to listen to on the road. I also took the AAEM mock oral course. It costs time and money but it's nice to have an idea about what the format of the exam is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take a course. I just did practice cases with my fellow residents. My recollection was that you could tell them you were looking up any drug except the most acute ACLS stuff. Even for PALS I think you could tell them you would consult the Braslow tape. Like DocB said be aggressive and by the book. Don't cut any corners. Most of the patients having something wrong they aren't the worried well you are seeing in your ER all the time.

Thanks for ya'lls input. I've been away working. I'm too am going to do the mock AAEM course. I'll check out River's CDs, since I also spend time on the road. I want to do this only once.