Organic Chemistry Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroticNeuro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a predicament as the title states. I recently just took a 5 week summer session for Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry I Lab. In the lecture session, I got a B- and in the lab session, I got a B+. I find myself wondering whether I should submit my transcript with the B- from my state school into my primary school of WashU/WUSTL or negate to send it in and retake it at WashU. If I can get an A next time around as in the next 5 week session, should I send it in or should I retake it at WashU. Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it still going to be factored into your AMCAS GPA regardless? Even if you can neglect to send the transcripts in to WashU you will have to report it to AMCAS and med schools will see the grade.

Plus, what makes you think you can jump from a B- to an A immediately? Have you really sat down to analyze what went wrong with your first round?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it still going to be factored into your AMCAS GPA regardless? Even if you can neglect to send the transcripts in to WashU you will have to report it to AMCAS and med schools will see the grade.

Plus, what makes you think you can jump from a B- to an A immediately? Have you really sat down to analyze what went wrong with your first round?

I mean technically there is nothing stopping me from not reporting this to the AMCAS and continuing to retake it at WashU.

First session, I got in a car accident halfway through the semester and was in the hospital for 5 days. I attribute that and procrastination/time management for my weakness in the course. I plan to turn it around. I just wonder whether I should retake it

I mean technically there is nothing stopping me from not reporting this to the AMCAS and continuing to retake it at WashU.
You have to report EVERY single college level course you have ever taken at any college, including those for dual credit in HS. No point in re-taking a B-, it is NOT going to hurt you.

If you had received a C than I would have suggested a retake. Don't waste time retaking a B - invest the time you would have spent retaking the course enhancing your ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I have a predicament as the title states. I recently just took a 5 week summer session for Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry I Lab. In the lecture session, I got a B- and in the lab session, I got a B+. I find myself wondering whether I should submit my transcript with the B- from my state school into my primary school of WashU/WUSTL or negate to send it in and retake it at WashU. If I can get an A next time around as in the next 5 week session, should I send it in or should I retake it at WashU. Thanks guys!!
Transfer over the Bs.

• You'd have to report them to AMCAS anyways. They require you submit everything you've ever taken at any college (even community colleges) and will check the national clearinghouse. You don't want to try and hide it.
  • You'd have to retake Ochem at WashU. It's one of the hardest classes. Odds of just getting a B again anyway (or worse) are high.

Reactions: 1 users
Transfer over the Bs.

• You'd have to report them to AMCAS anyways. They require you submit everything you've ever taken at any college (even community colleges) and will check the national clearinghouse. You don't want to try and hide it.
  • You'd have to retake Ochem at WashU. It's one of the hardest classes. Odds of just getting a B again anyway (or worse) are high.
Is a B- ok in Organic Chemistry? I know it can be better but if one day, I hope to apply to a good medical school and maybe get in? Is that still a possibility with a B- in Organic I?

Is a B- ok in Organic Chemistry? I know it can be better but if one day, I hope to apply to a good medical school and maybe get in? Is that still a possibility with a B- in Organic I?
No one class determines your competitiveness. What's your overall cGPA and sGPA?

Being dishonest from the start seems like a bad way to start your super professional doctor career.

Having to take Organic is a predicament all to its own. Getting a B is fine.

I had a B- in Orgo I and a C+ in Orgo II and got in to multiple schools, including a top 10. One bad grade will not sink you.

Being dishonest will.