Organisational and Study Tips for Optom Student with ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AusOptomStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a third year OD student who recently was diagnosed with ADHD. Study has always seemed difficult in the past and my organisational skills are terrible. I am having trouble structuring my study and my catch up study ( of which there is a lot of). I seem to never be able to stick to a style of study and as such have either repeated a lot of old information failing to cover new information, or have lots of notes all over the place.

Are there any optoms out there with similar experiences who could help by offering suggestions of organisational structures, styles for setting out and covering topics for study and any other tips and tricks?

Any help would be appreciated as things are starting to feel a little overwhelming.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you take medication for your ADHD? I would imagine it is difficult to study without it, regardless of organization.

Just started a week ago. So it is something that I may have had long standing but wasn't really aware of until recently that prompted me to look online then seek a professional work up. However the medication whilst I am still playing around to find the right dose, is only one part. Whilst it may be helping, there is still the question of being lost on where to start and how to order and organize things, and how to be efficient in trying to catch up etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
read the books your professors parallel to instruct their classes. They're written at the introductory level, go into great detail what your instructor may have just glanced over, and come with great indices, appendix, picture/diagrams, etc. You're already a 3rd year with only 2 months left of school so you're pretty much done and should have the background to quickly pick up on things. There are good texts and bad texts; see what your instructors reference.

Hi the course I am doing is a 4 year OD program. I have made it through the two theory intense years but there are lots of gaps in my knowledge. I am seeing patients under supervision. technically I feel feel fine. But I get stuck trying to I integrate some of my knowledge or back up why I do techniques the way I do. Things like that. So I am trying to back fill the gaps. Just finding it hard to get started or how I should set it out.

Optometry: Science, Techniques and Clinical Management by Mark Rosenfield

I thought this book was pretty awesome at my school's library. Science = 1st year; techniques = 2nd year; clinical management = 3rd year. It is written at the intro level and comprises a large amount of a optometry school's curriculum and is a relatively easy read.