osmotic diuretics is useful or contraindicated in anuria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam040

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Osmotic diuretics is useful or contraindicated in anuria?

Members don't see this ad.

You will read that sometimes a trial of diuretics (usually a loop like lasix) can be used to "bump" the kidneys into working, however often times it depends on the cause of renal failure, and anecdotally what I have seen is strict I's and O's, monitoring volume status along with kidney function and more often fluid resuscitation if necessary. If the patient is overloaded you an try a loop diuretic, but it may not work and will need to dialyze off volume instead.

You will read that sometimes a trial of diuretics (usually a loop like lasix) can be used to "bump" the kidneys into working, however often times it depends on the cause of renal failure, and anecdotally what I have seen is strict I's and O's, monitoring volume status along with kidney function and more often fluid resuscitation if necessary. If the patient is overloaded you an try a loop diuretic, but it may not work and will need to dialyze off volume instead.
Thank you very much

Also, osmotic diuretics such as mannitol ARE contraindicated in patients with anuria

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
from what I remember - most diuretics are not used in anuric states (except for a couple).

specifically to osmotic diuretic agents: I think in anuric states - the osmotic risks would be hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, volume overload and the increased risk of cardiac failure and/or pulmonary Edema d/t increased pulmonary artery hydrostatic pressure.