Osteopathic DO friendly Psychiatry Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone familiar with the University of Maryland program? I looked at their current residents and it includes a lot of international, Caribbean, and some osteopathic students (e.g. PCOM, Nova). Also the director of the Child & Adolescent psychiatry fellowship program is a D.O. Even so, it doesn't appear their website lists anything other than "passing USMLE Step 1 & 2" so I'm not exactly sure if they accept COMLEX.

The program also seems to offer a lot of different opportunities as far as clinical settings and research opportunities (which, even though I'm at a D.O. school I would like to have). Honestly, this program has been catching my eye since undergraduate. I love the location, and I really like that there's a huge amount of variation in the people that they take as I feel like that would create a really interesting learning environment - and what better specialty to learn about people coming from all different walks of life.

@Schwartz just saw your post. Can you elaborate a little more? "Vile" as in... creates a toxic environment or just not good for conversation?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm interested in some of the other Texas psych programs (San Antonio, Austin, JPS, Lubbock) does not taking USMLE put me at a significant disadvantage? I just don't know how competitive psych in Texas is outside of UTSW. I'm worried I might not do so well on comlex and unsure if it's worth it to take both.
If things continue trending in the way they have been I think all DOs should take the steps. Even programs that used to give interviews to only comlex applicants might be screening those out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If things continue trending in the way they have been I think all DOs should take the steps. Even programs that used to give interviews to only comlex applicants might be screening those out.
Can you give an example of one such program?

Interesting, I had thought the trend was going the other way. To be honest my hesitation to take USMLE comes from my less than stellar performance in 1st and 2nd year, and I'm simply afraid that the risks of failing outweigh the benefits from passing.

Can you give an example of one such program?
I think what he is trying to say is that the competition is getting tight. Applications are through the roof this year and I'm not sure if that is going to change in years to come. Looks like there may be another bump in USMD applicants in psychiatry for a second year in a row (too soon to tell of course). I think it's somewhat logical to assume that the DO student with a USMLE score is at an advantage compared to one without. I took it. It landed me at least one interview I wouldn't have received otherwise. Who knows how much it will help me when it comes to how a program will rank me vs. another student who decided not to take it when most others factors are similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Bump! Psych seems to be getting more competitive, but luckily more than just scores come into play for matching well.

In my perspective, psych hasn't become that much more competitive. We are flooded with applications, but not any big change in applicants. Psych is still mostly noncompetitive and as the flood continues, the reliance on scores becomes stronger.

Reactions: 2 users
In my perspective, psych hasn't become that much more competitive. We are flooded with applications, but not any big change in applicants. Psych is still mostly noncompetitive and as the flood continues, the reliance on scores becomes stronger.
Can you explain this a little? Are you saying that the increase in the number of applicants comes entirely from people who are more poorly qualified than applicants who matched previously?
And by "reliance on scores becomes stronger", do you mean that the average board scores of applicants (and presumably, matched candidates) have increased? Because if that's true, then clearly it's more competitive.

Thanks!

What I am saying is that there hasn't been much of a change in number of applicants, the only change has been in the number of applications now that the average number of applications per applicant is north of 30. When faced with a flood of applications that look more similar than different, we are pushed to use scores more than before because at least these provide some methodology to our decision making.

Reactions: 2 users
What I am saying is that there hasn't been much of a change in number of applicants, the only change has been in the number of applications now that the average number of applications per applicant is north of 30. When faced with a flood of applications that look more similar than different, we are pushed to use scores more than before because at least these provide some methodology to our decision making.

Above average step scores and "strategic" applications should yield the appropriate # of interviews to match. This is what I am reading from this thread. It isn't panic city...not even close.

Above average step scores and "strategic" applications should yield the appropriate # of interviews to match. This is what I am reading from this thread. It isn't panic city...not even close.

honestly i dont get why everyone DONT apply to 100 programs, esp weaker applicants

is it really consideration for cost? in the grand scheme of things who cares?

would you hypothetically be willing to PAY for ex. $300 to get an interview at MGH/UCSF/UCLA...etc whatever your top choice program is? i would.

so why not roll the dice with only 20$ / application , its literally a drop in the bucket

honestly i dont get why everyone DONT apply to 100 programs, esp weaker applicants

is it really consideration for cost? in the grand scheme of things who cares?

would you hypothetically be willing to PAY for ex. $300 to get an interview at MGH/UCSF/UCLA...etc whatever your top choice program is? i would.

so why not roll the dice with only 20$ / application , its literally a drop in the bucket
No Just no. This is ******ed.If everyone applied to 100 programs that would make it less likely you would get interviews anywhere, not more. Because all of the interviews would go to the people at the top and the people at the bottom would get no love at all. You are not going to get an interview at MGH by applying if you never stood a shot in the first place. It will not make you more likely to match if you apply to programs you have no hope in hell in ever matching at. Applicants should be strategic and apply to the 20-30 programs that they are most interested in and realistically have some chance of matching at. This can include 7-10 "reaches", but a reach is a program is a little out of grasp, not in a different stratosphere altogether. Even the poor/marginal applicant should apply smart, not just apply to every program they have no chance of matching at. 50 strategically chosen programs would yield as much if not more than applying to every program in the country.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone compiled a list of acgme residencies with DO residents and wouldn't mind sharing?

Has anyone compiled a list of acgme residencies with DO residents and wouldn't mind sharing?
It's going to change from year to year. This thread is the best answer so far. Other than that, I would simply search the programs you are interested in.

If you're interested in a program then apply to it. I wouldn't bother with these lists.

Are you responding to anyone in particular here or just trying to convey general info for the DO applicant?

Convey general info and based on my current experience with application I think I can speak with authority. I am applying with a very similar resume as the OP with similar board scores, probably more research/better letters but not perfect 3rd years grades(honors in everything that matters). I have viewed back nearly 10 years worth of match lists from West Coast DO programs and looked up resident profiles and based on what I can tell these CA programs simply don't interview DO's or don't rank them.

San Mateo County
UCLA-NPI
UCLA-Harbor
Stanford

UCSF took a pair in 2011

ucsd, ucd, uci, UCLA SFV are selective but do take DO's, especially if you have an app like the OP or some kind of connection to the program.

FWIW 225/239 and no TX school has sent me an interview invite. I've come to terms with the silent rejections lol.

edit: FWIW most programs haven't sent interview requests to me yet. I am slow on updating the other thread, but I have only a few. I'm really starting to worry

FWIW 225/239 and no TX school has sent me an interview invite. I've come to terms with the silent rejections lol.

edit: FWIW most programs haven't sent interview requests to me yet. I am slow on updating the other thread, but I have only a few. I'm really starting to worry
Are you a Texan? Non-Texans are viewed fairly suspiciously.

Not a Texan, but still a little concerned as I haven't heard from many programs (most actually)

I share your concern from the opposite perspective. I'm a Texan and have heard from some TX programs and neighboring states like Oklahoma and Louisiana, but not much else.

I will update which programs interviewed me when the season is over. I am a DO with USMLE + COMLEX.

More importantly, you should apply to any program you are interested in, for a few reasons. One, there exists a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. A recent grad of my school matched to a very strong program as the first DO ever. She went on the interview and explicitly asked the PD why they never had a DO before, was it because they did not prefer DOs? The PD responded, "no, not at all. we don't care at all but many people say they look at our website and see that we don't have any DOs, so they don't end up applying." I.e., if you are basing your decision not to apply off NOT seeing any DOs, you are part of the problem.

Secondly, what is another $26 dollars after you've spent this much? Worst case scenario you get rejected and you're no worse off than if you had not applied at all. Best case scenario you land an amazing interview and open the door for future DOs who aren't afraid to let the apps fly!

It seems that, when this thread was created about 5 years back, the consensus was that there were plenty of strong programs that would take COMLEX in lieu of USMLE no problem. Has that changed much in the intervening years and is it predicted to change more in the next few years?

Honestly, I’m worried I might burn out and end up only wanting to take COMLEX next summer and while that probably won’t happen, I just want to know if I’d be locked out of reasonable running for good psych. programs.

It seems that, when this thread was created about 5 years back, the consensus was that there were plenty of strong programs that would take COMLEX in lieu of USMLE no problem. Has that changed much in the intervening years and is it predicted to change more in the next few years?

Honestly, I’m worried I might burn out and end up only wanting to take COMLEX next summer and while that probably won’t happen, I just want to know if I’d be locked out of reasonable running for good psych. programs.
The only thing that's changed in 5 years is that there are tons more DOs and USMGs applying to psych--so if your COMLEX is good, no problem. If it's mediocre...well, good luck.

The only thing that's changed in 5 years is that there are tons more DOs and USMGs applying to psych--so if your COMLEX is good, no problem. If it's mediocre...well, good luck.
I’m definitely not worried about my possible COMLEX score, unless something crazy happens. I’m consistently above the class average (on exams, my school doesn’t rank) and I’m a good standardized test taker with an 83rd percentile MCAT, which I understand to be somewhat predictive. I’m just worried I might go all out on COMLEX and just burn out in my desperation to finally get into rotations. I see a lot of program sites that say they take it in lieu of USMLE, but sometimes SDN has me convinced that’s some kind of cynical double speak.

I don't think so. There are some programs that require USMLE, though, so if there is anywhere specific you're interested in, you should contact them. Otherwise there are plenty of good programs that accept COMLEX.

I see a lot of program sites that say they take it in lieu of USMLE, but sometimes SDN has me convinced that’s some kind of cynical double speak.

For what it's worth, I only took COMLEX and interviewed at several decent programs. There were a few of the more popular programs that didn't invite me, but I suppose I'll never know whether that was because I didn't take the USMLE, or because I just wasn't as competitive. In the end, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not worried about my possible COMLEX score, unless something crazy happens. I’m consistently above the class average (on exams, my school doesn’t rank) and I’m a good standardized test taker with an 83rd percentile MCAT, which I understand to be somewhat predictive. I’m just worried I might go all out on COMLEX and just burn out in my desperation to finally get into rotations. I see a lot of program sites that say they take it in lieu of USMLE, but sometimes SDN has me convinced that’s some kind of cynical double speak.

Why don't you just study for USMLE and take it first? That way you still have to take COMLEX even if you're burned out, loll.

Just like respond and remit are not the same, require and prefer should not be confused. You don't have to take USMLE, but it helps us measure you against the sea of other applicants. Only you can decide if you wish to be measured with this standardized yard stick. It isn't all about scores, but at least it is objective and therefore cuts both ways.

Take USMLE. I called a lot of programs and asked and all suggested taking it. It just makes sense... if a PD has 65% of DOs with no step 1, but then has 35% of DOs with a Step 1, I wonder which cohort he/she is going to give the benefit of the doubt to....

Take USMLE. I called a lot of programs and asked and all suggested taking it. It just makes sense... if a PD has 65% of DOs with no step 1, but then has 35% of DOs with a Step 1, I wonder which cohort he/she is going to give the benefit of the doubt to....
Speaking from my program’s perspective (every program is vastly different), there really wasn’t a correlation.

I understand that I should take it, but I saw what burnout can do this semester when Irma killed our Internet for 3 days, shifted around our schedule and added an enormous amount of extra stress leading up to our largest exam in med school up to that point — I was so exhausted that I could hardly understand the questions I was reading. Felt like I was in a daze and ended up scoring 20 points lower than on my previous and subsequent exams. So I’m worried that after two years of school, two huge, high stakes exams might put me in a similar situation.

So I’m simply wondering if only having COMLEX would bar me from good residencies.

Again, I’ll probably take USMLE, but the above experience was enough to teach me it’s not always as easy as “I’ll just take these two exams no biggie”.

studying for the exams is identical (+ your OMT review for ~1-2 weeks). the only "burnout" per se is the fact that you have to physically sit for 2 exams. Yes, it sucks to sit at the computer for 8 hours

I know there's a few new programs that have popped up in the last year or two, I would think some of them are open to comlex only. As someone who didn't take USMLE and with a meh comlex score I'm just hoping I can still get some love somewhere. I don't mind being a trailerblazer, as long as I match.