~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fraggle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll start. Anybody else send in their $100?
...Bueller?

Members don't see this ad.

-First sign of any chatter regarding OSU-COM for way too long. Anyone have any information regarding interviews and acceptances thus far...only two acceptances listed on the class of 2010 acceptance list thus far. I know that OSU-COM interviews began 2-3 weeks later than 2004 (I interviewed before the break last year). I have not heard anything from OSU-COM yet this year and have been complete since October. I am not seeing anything on the interview feedback or the forums. What's the scoop...anyone? I called admissions prior to the break just to check in but am hesitant to do so now as I know that they are busy and likely receive 100+ phone calls a day from anxious applicants...any suggestions other than patience?

Thanks.

From what I understood at the interview, everybody received word on their status within 2 wks, whether it was fedex or thin envelope. Maybe it takes longer since you interviewed right before break? I don’t think it would hurt to call them. I’ve called them about a fajillion times myself (called them a couple of weeks ago, actually, to make sure my deposit check made it) and they’ve never been outwardly annoyed with me

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted on 11/25 and since then I have called OSU many times. From what I've gathered, February will most likely be the month a lot of people are pulled off the waitlist. I don't think anyone has been pulled from the waitlist as of yet. Plus, I think they've only had three interview weeks including this week, so there has to still be many spots left in the class. Well, I hope that helps a little.

I interviewed on Jan. 12. They said they have already filled 26 spots, so I assume that is 26 people have put in their $100 deposit, or perhaps they have 26 acceptance offers out. They also said they are going to go slower this year and try to interview 250 applicants. They had interviewed less than 100 as of my interview date. We are supposed to expect notification in 4 weeks. I was complete in late December, major AACOMAS problems (lost transcripts).

man, I've been waiting for someone to start this thread! Welcome!

I can't take it anymore!!! I have been complete since the middle of June - that is over 7 months of waiting! First, I waited for an interview and now I'm waiting for a decision. I think waiting is more stressful than just knowing whether you're accepted or rejected. The initial reaction from everyone whom I tell I'm on the waitlist is "Congratulations!". Well, it doesn't really feel like congratulations yet, but I guess if I didn't have a chance there would be no need to keep me waiting for so long. I hate being in limbo, though! Oh, and on a second note, I called OSU the other day and they said that the 26 spots filled meant that 26 people have already put down their $100 deposit. I hope one of the remaining 54 spots has my name on it. By the way, if OSU is hoping to interview 250 this year, how many did they interview last year?

hang in there, futured.o. Yes, the wait is frustrating, but since OSU started interviewing later this year it is still pretty early in their process. Also, not all of those 26 people will really take their spots at OSU, so in reality there are more than 54 OSU-COM class of 2010 people waiting out there. :)

DrMom said:
hang in there, futured.o. Yes, the wait is frustrating, but since OSU started interviewing later this year it is still pretty early in their process. Also, not all of those 26 people will really take their spots at OSU, so in reality there are more than 54 OSU-COM class of 2010 people waiting out there. :)

To piggy back the all knowing DrMom, do not hesitate to call and to let the school know your interest. If you don't tell the school you want to be here, how will they know?

This is your education, tell them where you want to be!

DrDad said:
To piggy back the all knowing DrMom, do not hesitate to call and to let the school know your interest. If you don't tell the school you want to be here, how will they know?

This is your education, tell them where you want to be!

At this point, I don't think they have any doubt where I want to be come August. I call pretty much every week to ask questions or to check on my app. I'm not trying to badger them, but I'm pretty sure my name is branded into their minds by now. By the way, for all of us whom are waiting on an answer - OSU will be sending out some type of correspondence tomorrow (Wed.). I'll cross my fingers!!!

futured.o. said:
At this point, I don't think they have any doubt where I want to be come August. I call pretty much every week to ask questions or to check on my app. I'm not trying to badger them, but I'm pretty sure my name is branded into their minds by now. By the way, for all of us whom are waiting on an answer - OSU will be sending out some type of correspondence tomorrow (Wed.). I'll cross my fingers!!!
Man, I was hoping to hear something tomorrow! I called Monday and they said I would hear something by the end of the week. So Wednesday departure from Tulsa, makes Fedex a lock for Thursday arrival in Stillwater.. or snail mail on Friday/Saturday.

anybody get anything yet

Two people have. One that lives in Stillwater, and I think one that lives in Talequah. I sure haven't though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got the FedEx today after three months of limbo. I am so relieved and excited! I'm going to be a doctor - WOW! Dr.Dad, I met you at my interview in November. Thank you Dr.Dad and Dr.Mom for all of your encouraging words.

I'm also a new member of the OSU Class of 2010! I'm extremely happy to be attending OSU and also to be done with the application process.

Congratulations everyone! Good to see this thread is finally picking up.

Congrats to you as well, BB! :)

If any of you guys have questions, feel free to post them here or PM me or one of the other OSU-COMers here (ie: Idiopathic, DrDad, etc)

And, no, don't study anthing between now and august (other than for classes you're actually enrolled in).:D

Is there much of a break between the morning and afternoon sessions? I was thinking of living somewhere between 51st and 71st, and would like to go home for lunch, let the dog out, etc..

I just found out that I will be going to OSUCOM and will be saving a lot of money by not going out state for school.

BobBarker said:
Is there much of a break between the morning and afternoon sessions? I was thinking of living somewhere between 51st and 71st, and would like to go home for lunch, let the dog out, etc..

Your first semeter, classes are as follows:

Monday: 1-3pm OR 3-5pm
Tuesday: 9am-Noon & 1pm-5pm
Wednesday: 9am-Noon & 1-3pm OR 3-5pm
Thursday: 9am-Noon & 1pm-5pm
Friday: 9am-Noon

Therefore, you will only need to leave & return for lunch only 3 days a week.

I live at 71st & Lewis, and it takes exactly 10 minutes to get to school every day. I would recommend living along Riverside, as it is a good route to get up to school.

does anyone know where a good apt. complex would be to stay at. Ive heard some stories that the complex next to the school is not all that and I would like to stay somewhere decent at least.

DO_Doc said:
does anyone know where a good apt. complex would be to stay at. Ive heard some stories that the complex next to the school is not all that and I would like to stay somewhere decent at least.

The complex next to the school is good for the following reasons:
1. Walk to school
2. On the banks of the river with a jogging/walking trail
3. Good quality apartments & facilities (with workout room, pool etc.)

The complex is bad for the following reasons:
1. Adjacent to the "projects"
2. Crime --> car break-ins, etc.
3. The only fast food within a mile is McDonald's, Sonic & Subway. Someone was gunwhipped at Subway last year when it was robbed. Their bread is always stale there anyway.
4. There are no good restaurants, grocery stores, or shopping in the area.
5. You are next to the school. Sometimes you don't want to see that place every day of your life.

I live about 7 miles from the school at 71st & Lewis, in Fountain Crest apartments. These apartmens are about of duplicate quality as the apartments near campus, but about $100 cheaper a month. I'd recommend any apartment complex down Riverside as well. There are some very nice apartments at 68th & Riverside, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

PM me if you would like some more specific information on apartments south of campus down Riverside.

The benefit of living in this part of town is the numerous fast food places, restaurants, and other stores. South Tulsa is known to be the safest part of Tulsa.

Also, have to add that you won't be able to escape the smell of the refinery if you live that close to campus. Notice that there weren't any gas stations within site of the medical school? Kinda tells you something about how bad the crime in the area is..

fraggle said:
I guess I'll start. Anybody else send in their $100?
...Bueller?

I brought my deposit to the school today. I only live about 15 minutes away and was too nervous about putting it in the mailbox. Ahhh...at least that part's over with. Anyone else just excited to go into the bookstore and get a license plate? Yeah, I know, I'm a dork.

OSUdoc08 said:
The complex next to the school is good for the following reasons:
1. Walk to school
2. On the banks of the river with a jogging/walking trail
3. Good quality apartments & facilities (with workout room, pool etc.)

The complex is bad for the following reasons:
1. Adjacent to the "projects"
2. Crime --> car break-ins, etc.
3. The only fast food within a mile is McDonald's, Sonic & Subway. Someone was gunwhipped at Subway last year when it was robbed. Their bread is always stale there anyway.
4. There are no good restaurants, grocery stores, or shopping in the area.
5. You are next to the school. Sometimes you don't want to see that place every day of your life.

I live about 7 miles from the school at 71st & Lewis, in Fountain Crest apartments. These apartmens are about of duplicate quality as the apartments near campus, but about $100 cheaper a month. I'd recommend any apartment complex down Riverside as well. There are some very nice apartments at 68th & Riverside, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

PM me if you would like some more specific information on apartments south of campus down Riverside.

The benefit of living in this part of town is the numerous fast food places, restaurants, and other stores. South Tulsa is known to be the safest part of Tulsa.
thank you for the information. I figured that there werent many good reasons to live near campus since it was in the ghetto part of tulsa.

futured.o. said:
I brought my deposit to the school today. I only live about 15 minutes away and was too nervous about putting it in the mailbox. Ahhh...at least that part's over with. Anyone else just excited to go into the bookstore and get a license plate? Yeah, I know, I'm a dork.

Nah, you're not any more of a dork than the rest of us! ;)
I went and got a sweatshirt within days (maybe hours) of getting my acceptance letter.

Man the thread for OSUCOM students is pretty dead. Has anyone heard anything about an admitted students day on Feb. 25. I was talking to someone in student services and they mentioned that it was coming up and had not sent out information on that. If so who is going. I know I will be there

I'll definitely go if I get sent info on it. I was planning on going to Tulsa to look for places to live that weekend anyways.

DO_Doc said:
Man the thread for OSUCOM students is pretty dead. Has anyone heard anything about an admitted students day on Feb. 25. I was talking to someone in student services and they mentioned that it was coming up and had not sent out information on that. If so who is going. I know I will be there

They haven't even told the medical students that go to it (student ambassadors) about it yet.

I just got the e-mail invite on thursday. Do they always have an Admitted student day this early? I thought there were still several seats to fill.

fraggle said:
I just got the e-mail invite on thursday. Do they always have an Admitted student day this early? I thought there were still several seats to fill.

I have not even got an email yet from the school about the event. I just know about it because they had mentioned it to me. Did anyone recieve any information on it?

fraggle said:

They don't wait to fill all of the seats to have an admitted student day.

Wut is the purpose of the admitted students day? Like what do we do?

wow. class of 2010. i feel old now, lol.

don't live at westport. there are plenty of places in tulsa with similar amenities are are only a short drive away, even in the mornings. :) i live in the DC area now, and it some days it takes me over an hour to go 15 miles. :mad:

anyway-- best friend of mine lived in the brookside area and really liked it there. great food. i highly recommend the Grapevine if it's still there :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood class of '04 caveman

Can't wait to meet all you guys. O-state rocks! Is anyone going to be in Tulsa from March 14-17? I'm going to fly back to look at apartments, etc. It'd be great to hook up with a few fellow classmates.
-Mindy

For those looking at apartments, call ahead and ask student affairs if they have any of the new tulsa city apartment guides. But if it were me, I would buy a house, why throw 400-800 a month away when you can build equity? I wish I hadn't wasted 2 years living in westport.

Im just a little curious, where is everyone from? I'm from Ada, OK. For those of you unfamiliar with it, its a small little town in SE OK. Anyone from out of state going to OSU?

DO_Doc said:
Im just a little curious, where is everyone from? I'm from Ada, OK. For those of you unfamiliar with it, its a small little town in SE OK. Anyone from out of state going to OSU?

Bixby, OK *represent*

DO_Doc said:

Glenpool, OK

Whoa. Class of 2010.

As homunculus' trusty sidekick who lived in the brookside area, I'd second the notion that you can do better than westport. Im from tulsa, by the way.
There are some nice apartments in the cherry street area - I initially lived at 17th and St. Louis. The best arrangement I found was actually my wife's (then girlfriend) set up. Search around the swan lake area (14th and St. Louis area). Many of the houses have small, free standing "houselets" located on the alleys behind their back yard. Small, affordable, yet like having a house to yourself and in a great part of town near the school. Im from the 61st and Peoria area, remember to stay the hell outta there, but north of I44 Brookside has some good deals on rental stuff, and traffic on riverside is usually not too bad and will take you directly to school - in average traffic, 12 minutes from our door at 49th and Peoria to school after moving from the aforementioned cozy shack. Remember that a lot of your commutes will be made before/after rush hour traffic anyway.

oh, another point is that I would say buy a house if you can - will cost a little more (due to upkeep, etc more than monthly payments) but if you get in trouble and need money, OSU is good about taking care of you.

Ok guys here is the deal. I was accepted in KCOM mid November. Waited for OSU what seemed like forever, finally interviewed and got my acceptance Tuesday. My wife went with me to the interview at KCOM and liked it. We are planning to attend OSU now thank goodness. She went with me to the interview at KCOM and wonders if she will feel as comfortable here. We will be there this Saturday for admitted student day and need help in making her feel as comfortable and stoked as I am.

By the way I am from Broken Arrow

jx2sx2 said:
Ok guys here is the deal. I was accepted in KCOM mid November. Waited for OSU what seemed like forever, finally interviewed and got my acceptance Tuesday. My wife went with me to the interview at KCOM and liked it. We are planning to attend OSU now thank goodness. She went with me to the interview at KCOM and wonders if she will feel as comfortable here. We will be there this Saturday for admitted student day and need help in making her feel as comfortable and stoked as I am.

By the way I am from Broken Arrow

I REALLY don't think it will be a problem.

To the class of 2010:

Congrats on deciding to join not only the top rated medical school in Oklahoma, but one of the best medical schools in our great land. This may seem like boasting but I rotated far and wide and always felt like my knowledge and "skills" matched up to any other med student I met.

DrMom when did I get downgraded to etc status (and behind Idio - for shame!)

Live at Westport = roll out of bed 15 min before class and still make it on time.

Anyone interested in preparing for allopathic Emergency medicine residency PM me I will be glad to help set you a course.

Good luck on your first year....And welcome to "The House of Pain." :smuggrin:

Best Wishes

The Mish