~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much correspondence is too much? Should I send a letter telling them all the different things I like about their schools every month and why I want to be an osteopathic physician or should it be more frequent.

AAAhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I want off of this waitlist!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Class of 2010,
I just registered as a member of SDN. I was excited to see the postings from my classmates and can't wait to become aquainted with all of you. I also rushed to the bookstore to buy a tag and t-shirt, it's not dorky its pride in our school and in our accomploshments. Congratulations to everyone!!!!!! I'm sure we are going to have an exciting future together!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OSU always mail decisions on Wednesdays? I am sure hoping for that FedEx this week. Anybody else ???

Tiagao said:
Does OSU always mail decisions on Wednesdays? I am sure hoping for that FedEx this week. Anybody else ???
When did you interview?

:confused:

Does anyone know when the committee met or when they will send decisions?? Man, I am getting anxious!!

Tiagao said:
Man, I am getting anxious!!

been there, done that. You'd think they'd give you 3 weeks worth of valium after an interview for this very reason, I mean, come one, at least 1 of the interviewers tend to have rx rights.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some student loan questions. I have never had to take loans out and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should look for when choosing a provider. I know that interest rate is a big one but beyond that Im lost. I have already filed my FAFSA so now im just confused on which provider. Any and all suggesstions would be appreciated.

Thanx

Tiagao said:
:confused:

Does anyone know when the committee met or when they will send decisions?? Man, I am getting anxious!!
Any word Tiagao?

MechE said:
Any word Tiagao?

Not yet, but I did some checking. According to the FedEx website, it should take 1 business day to receive the package where I'm at. At first someone mentioned that it took 2 days for delivery. Those who found out last month got their FedEx on a Friday, or a least that's when they posted. In any case, I am still sitting by the window while my kids are atching "Littlefoot". I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer......

Thanks for asking though. :)

How about you???

DO_Doc said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some student loan questions. I have never had to take loans out and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should look for when choosing a provider. I know that interest rate is a big one but beyond that Im lost. I have already filed my FAFSA so now im just confused on which provider. Any and all suggesstions would be appreciated.

Thanx

Wait until you recieve your financial aid package from the school.

The loan provider that most people use is Total High Education (T.H.E.) --> http://www.northstar.org

Tiagao said:
Not yet, but I did some checking. According to the FedEx website, it should take 1 business day to receive the package where I'm at. At first someone mentioned that it took 2 days for delivery. Those who found out last month got their FedEx on a Friday, or a least that's when they posted. In any case, I am still sitting by the window while my kids are atching "Littlefoot". I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer......

Thanks for asking though. :)

How about you???
I'm still waiting. I sent an update letter and a letter of intent a few weeks ago. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( Waitlisted. I guess I'll just have to hope. :luck: everyone!!

Waitlist is not a rejection :)

As has been said many times on here, approx 1/2 of each entering class spent some time on the waitlist. It isn't the worst place to be. :thumbup: Hang in there.

Tiagao said:
:( Waitlisted. I guess I'll just have to hope. :luck: everyone!!

don't take it badly, there are many people who were called the day before classes and told they had spots. And as DrMom says, more than 1/2 of average incoming class were on the wait list.....

THANKS for the encouragement. You guys are great. :thumbup:

Yeah, the waitlist stinks. I was on it for three months! I talked to Leah and she told me the biggest thing I could do was continue shadowing doctors and keep the school updated with that information. Hang in there and keep yourself busy with activities that will make you stand out from the rest of the waitlist pool. Hope to see you both in August.

Hello fellow class mates. Has anyone started thinking about where you plan to live.

mdearlyDO said:
Hello fellow class mates. Has anyone started thinking about where you plan to live.

if you have some money, buy a house, it's far cheaper than renting for 4 years you'll have equity in it and you could potentially get that money back instead of flushing it down the toilet. And for what you'll pay in rent vs mortgage, you'll have 2-3 times the space of an apartment, for what I paid for 600 sq ft, I know have 1500 plus the garage and a 1/4 acre including insurance. I lived in westport (the apartment next to the school) for 2 years, and it's ok, very convenient, but I found myself cramped and there were several other irritating things that eventually got to me.

How long and typically what dates are winter break? Do we go back a week before MLK, or just after New Years?
I remember someone on here saying they lived in Glenpool... What do you think about it? I'm thinking of living there, too. Mapquest said the place I'm looking at is only 13 miles away from the school, and the price is right..

BobBarker said:
How long and typically what dates are winter break? Do we go back a week before MLK, or just after New Years?
I remember someone on here saying they lived in Glenpool... What do you think about it? I'm thinking of living there, too. Mapquest said the place I'm looking at is only 13 miles away from the school, and the price is right..

Glenpool is a quick drive since it's highway 75 all the way up. I live on 71st & Riverside, and it takes me 10 minutes from pulling out my parking lot to parking at school.

Winter break for us this year was Saturday, 12/17 --> Tuesday, 1/3.

BobBarker said:

I live in Glenpool. BobBarker, I met you at the Admitted Student's Day - I was the girl that recognized your screen name because you are from Anadarko, right? I like Glenpool a lot. My husband and I just bought a really nice house here in November and we really love the location because it is really close to the school, but not right in the center of the busy city. The only drawbacks are that Glenpool has no Wal-Mart (we have to go to Sapulpa to grocery shop) and only a handful of places to eat (McDonald's, Arby's, Taco Bueno, Mazzio's, Cheezie's pizza, and a chinese place), so you can get burnt out really fast. PM me if you need any other info. like realtors, etc.

futured.o. said:
I live in Glenpool. BobBarker, I met you at the Admitted Student's Day - I was the girl that recognized your screen name because you are from Anadarko, right? I like Glenpool a lot. My husband and I just bought a really nice house here in November and we really love the location because it is really close to the school, but not right in the center of the busy city. The only drawbacks are that Glenpool has no Wal-Mart (we have to go to Sapulpa to grocery shop) and only a handful of places to eat (McDonald's, Arby's, Taco Bueno, Mazzio's, Cheezie's pizza, and a chinese place), so you can get burnt out really fast. PM me if you need any other info. like realtors, etc.

al_norman_200.jpg

OSUdoc08 said:

Are you kidding? I love Wal-Mart - where else can you get filet mignon and toilet paper both in the same place?!

DrMom said:
Heya DrMom,

How extensive would you say OSU's online training video library is?

Some schools have all or most of their lectures archived for students to rewatch later, or have videos for training in anatomy, disease recognition, etc.

I don't remember seeing much about that when I toured OSU, but it'd be real helpful to someone like me who needs info beat into their head over and over.

Thanks
Johnny

JohnnyOU said:
Heya DrMom,

How extensive would you say OSU's online training video library is?

Thanks
Johnny

None, nada, zip. there is the exception for step 2 board review, but that may disappear when Goljan leaves. There are online tools for anatomy, however I found them somewhat limited. Many people recorded the lectures themselves, but personally I found that to be too time intensive when I could reread the material 4-5 times in the same time period it took to listen to a lecture. not to mention I had a hard enough time staying awake in the lecture much less listening to them through head phones. YMMV.

BobBarker said:
Goljan is leaving?
Unfortunately he's not superman ... or Deputy Dog ... so I hear.

He's approaching retirement age. Hopefully he'll stay on for a few more years (like when I apply). But rumors have it it will be soon. :(

futured.o. said:
Are you kidding? I love Wal-Mart - where else can you get filet mignon and toilet paper both in the same place?!

Super%20Target%20JC%205.JPG

OSUdoc08 said:
super target
That's too far.

I'd be leary of Walmart meat as well ... not the best, esp if your going to splurge for the filet mignon! I'd go to alberton's or a butcher. And if anyone knows a good butcher in the area, I'd like to know about it! :)

mshheaddoc said:
That's too far.

I'd be leary of Walmart meat as well ... not the best, esp if your going to splurge for the filet mignon! I'd go to alberton's or a butcher. And if anyone knows a good butcher in the area, I'd like to know about it! :)

I always buy my meat at Albertson's. If I need to get non-groceries and am too lazy, I'll try to get it all at Wal-Mart, but I prefer to get my food at Albertson's in general. The Albertson's on Peoria is next to a very good health food store (Wild Oats) AND a very good liquor store.

OSUdoc08 said:
I always buy my meat at Albertson's. If I need to get non-groceries and am too lazy, I'll try to get it all at Wal-Mart, but I prefer to get my food at Albertson's in general. The Albertson's on Peoria is next to a very good health food store (Wild Oats) AND a very good liquor store.
I'm a fan of that liquor store :) Their wine selection is quite good as well. Although ... I'd like to see a few of their prices dropped for their more expensive wine.

Apparently Wild Oats is the place for sushi as well ... or so I hear. I'm not a fan of it so I don't go there for that.

mshheaddoc said:
I'm a fan of that liquor store :) Their wine selection is quite good as well. Although ... I'd like to see a few of their prices dropped for their more expensive wine.

Apparently Wild Oats is the place for sushi as well ... or so I hear. I'm not a fan of it so I don't go there for that.

I don't even like my sandwiches raw---how could I eat fish raw?

(I just put a turkey sandwich in the George Foreman a couple of minutes ago. Yes, I'm a Quizno's junkie.)

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't even like my sandwiches raw---how could I eat fish raw?

(I just put a turkey sandwich in the George Foreman a couple of minutes ago. Yes, I'm a Quizno's junkie.)
You aren't a fan of Bill and Ruth's? :laugh:

mshheaddoc said:
You aren't a fan of Bill and Ruth's? :laugh:

Never heard of it. We don't have those in
texas.gif

mshheaddoc said:
Its right across the street from the liquor store :laugh:

Oh yeah I've seen it. Never knew what it was.

OSUdoc08 said:

At least you're all about a balanced diet! :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
Never heard of it. We don't have those in
texas.gif

Where in Texas are you from originally? I was born in Big Spring.

futured.o. said:
Where in Texas are you from originally? I was born in Big Spring.

Born in Dallas and raised in the suburbs of Dallas (Cedar Hill & Frisco)

OSUdoc08 said:
Born in Dallas and raised in the suburbs of Dallas (Cedar Hill & Frisco)
I lived in Dallas for about a yr...then Grapevine for a bit (bartender at the DFW hilton).

In Dallas I live by harry hines blvd...that's the only time I've ever had a hooker actually come to my door soliciting like a jehovas witness. :)

Okay, I have a question about OSU student football tickets. Do students get a discount or do they just ask if you'd like to purchase student tickets to be included in your tuition? I know the vet school has some kind of special package for students and family, but I'm not sure about the med school. Thanks.

futured.o. said:
Okay, I have a question about OSU student football tickets. Do students get a discount or do they just ask if you'd like to purchase student tickets to be included in your tuition? I know the vet school has some kind of special package for students and family, but I'm not sure about the med school. Thanks.
You are eligible to purchase student tickets for the games for main campus in Stillwater

any1 not lookin foward to the rural rotation? I think i heard it was mandatory, for some reason it just doesnt look appealing to me at all.. dont get me wrong im glad i got in, but thats just one part that i really dont want to do.

Mike1985 said:
any1 not lookin foward to the rural rotation? I think i heard it was mandatory, for some reason it just doesnt look appealing to me at all.. dont get me wrong im glad i got in, but thats just one part that i really dont want to do.

I'm doing my "rural" month in Ardmore. I will be spending a portion of my time likely at Mercy hospital in town, and my family practitioner is big on OB, so I will get that experience as well.

I'll be getting 1 on 1 experience with a physician, as well as additional OB experience and hospital experience without any other students or residents around. I am looking forward to it.

However, if you aren't looking forward to that month, then you do it and move on. It's kinda silly to already be thinking about a few weeks at some point in your 3rd year that you may or may not enjoy. You'll be dreaming of a rural medicine rotation while dissecting the rotting pelvis of your cadaver late in the first semester.

Mike1985 said:

It isn't bad, and, yes, it is a required rotation.

And you can do anything for a month.

Mike1985 said:

some are good, some are bad, while it sucks to either have to commute to the rural local or stay there for a month, the rotations I did were actually educational and I saw more rare disorders there than I did in my Clinic months in Tulsa. The trick is taking the time to read the Student eval sheets to see what they say about the preceptors and switching them out after the lottery to get the good ones, and make sure to look for docs that let you do more than just shadow them.