Other OT-Related Information OT and lifting restrictions (no more than ~30 lbs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1006124

I am missing some lymph nodes in my dominant arm and really shouldn't lift more than 30ish pounds, especially repetitively. I had wanted to be an RN forever. I tried the CNA class a few years ago. I liked it but when I got to clinicals, it just wasn't happening for me because of patient transfers and my lifting restrictions. So, that put an end to my nursing dreams.

I volunteer in the PICU at a big, freestanding children's hospital. I run into all sorts of different medical personnel there and am becoming more and more interested in OT.

I LOVE peds patients and envision myself doing pediatric OT.

Some questions:

1. Can you tell me a little more about lifting as it pertains to early intervention and outpatient pediatric OT? If it is mostly younger children, that's fine. I used to volunteer at church pre-school and was fine to be lifting 3 year olds for hours at a time. I just can't be lifting teens that are the size of adults and minimally mobile all day.

2. I worry about making it through school; I don't want a repeat of what happened to me with the CNA class where I had to drop out because it just wasn't happening with my hand/arm. Is it reasonable to request lifting accommodations for clinicals during an OT master's program? I would need to call the patient's nurse to do the lifting/patient transfers for me on inpatient rotations. Is this a reasonable accommodation?

Thanks for reading and take care!

Members don't see this ad.

I think, calling a prospective school, of your concerns is the best way to go. They can definitely tell you their requirements/limitations. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am missing some lymph nodes in my dominant arm and really shouldn't lift more than 30ish pounds, especially repetitively. I had wanted to be an RN forever. I tried the CNA class a few years ago. I liked it but when I got to clinicals, it just wasn't happening for me because of patient transfers and my lifting restrictions. So, that put an end to my nursing dreams.

I volunteer in the PICU at a big, freestanding children's hospital. I run into all sorts of different medical personnel there and am becoming more and more interested in OT.

I LOVE peds patients and envision myself doing pediatric OT.

Some questions:

1. Can you tell me a little more about lifting as it pertains to early intervention and outpatient pediatric OT? If it is mostly younger children, that's fine. I used to volunteer at church pre-school and was fine to be lifting 3 year olds for hours at a time. I just can't be lifting teens that are the size of adults and minimally mobile all day.

2. I worry about making it through school; I don't want a repeat of what happened to me with the CNA class where I had to drop out because it just wasn't happening with my hand/arm. Is it reasonable to request lifting accommodations for clinicals during an OT master's program? I would need to call the patient's nurse to do the lifting/patient transfers for me on inpatient rotations. Is this a reasonable accommodation?

Thanks for reading and take care!
It’s more than training though...are you going to need help with your employer too?

Can you physically do this job?

Members don't see this ad :)
While I don't know of anyone in my program with physical restrictions, I would think that most programs would be willing to accommodate. I recently listened to a podcast about an OT with a spinal cord injury, and she discussed how her school made accommodations for her since she was unable to transfer patients (On the Air, episode 16). I also have an OT professor who uses a wheelchair and is still able to practice. I feel like it may restrict which settings you're able to work in to some extent, but I don't think it will affect your ability to become an OT.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone in our program has had to learn to do transfers.. they also make us sign a medical form which states we must be in good health to do those things to enter the program.

Reactions: 1 user