OT: Travel plans and suggestions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringDVM

AU CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I confess, this is largely selfish and due to my own laziness in sifting through the thousands of "top ten things to do in London!" webpages. However, since quite a few of us seem to be traveling this summer (at least according to previous "summer plans" threads), I thought it might be fun to post destinations and see if others have suggestions re: cool places to see and things to do in the region.
Cities I'll be visiting include London and Paris. Any suggestions for destinations and activities would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ohh fun thread idea!! I've been to London and Paris but it's been about 8 years now! I definitely remember but I asked my parents for their input on things to do there and we came up with our favorites for touristy things. I'm sure you would be doing these things anyway but here they are just in case!

London: The British Museum, St. Paul's, the London Eye, Tower of London; things we missed and regret not seeing: Tate Modern, countryside in general

Paris: walking along the Champs-Élysées, Sacré-Cœur, the Louvre, Eiffel Tower (obviously!); things we missed and regret not seeing: The Catacombs, Palace of Versailles, Musée d'Orsay

Musee D'Orsay was wonderful! Also, L'Orangerie museum is right by the Louvre and has Monet's original water lilies and a really cool impressionist exhibit. I also really wish that I had gone to Monet's garden at Giverny (it's a short train ride out of the city) which is the place he painted all of those water lilies with the bridge that is in so many of his paintings. Versailles was really cool, too, but I would try to go not on a weekend or really tourist-heavy day (if such a thing exists) because it was so crowded that I couldn't really enjoy the inside.

In London, I really liked the national portrait gallery, and if you are a Harry Potter fan it takes about 3 seconds to go to platform 9 3/4 in King's Cross and St. Pancras is where the car flew around in the 2nd movie, right across the street. Also over there is the Library, which is really cool also. They have the original Magna Carta and the original Beowulf and some other really cool things. I would also try to go to high tea and the theater, both of which are so much fun! The British museum is AMAZING and has soooo much cool stuff in it you could spend an entire day there. There is also a veterinary exhibit in the Science and Industry museum (? maybe natural history?), but it was closed when I was there. If you want to get out of the city you can go on tours of James Herriot's house and Darwin's house, both of which are within a couple hours train ride I believe. I didn't get a chance to go to Herriot's, but I really wanted to!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to London this summer too! In fact...this Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!! So I can only tell you I am going to all the classic spots, as well as taking a trip out to Bath and the Cotswolds for 2 days.

I've been to Paris twice, and I can say if you have time, go out to Versailles. It is FANTASTIC. The most beautiful- you can't even call it a palace it is so enormous, and the gardens are beautiful. Walk around Tuilieries (a huge garden/park next to the Lourve),, see the Catacombs, but only if you arent scared of tight, enclosed spaces. Notre Dame and go to the top, along with the Arc de Triomphe (and go to the top), the catacombs in Sacre Cour, take a walk up by Moulin Rogue and the area around Sacre Cour, since it has some awesome little back roads and cafes are everywhere. Also, if you are a Johnny Depp fan, he has a bar on an off street of the Champs-Élysées- its called Mandala Ray. I love love looooooved Paris :love::love::love:, so I hope you do too!

I'm going to Toronto/Niagra Falls for 4 days in the beginning of July...other than the CN tower, what fun (and relatively inexpensive, remember I have vet school tuition to pay soon :D) things are there to do in Toronto??