Outpatient FamilyMedicine in Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCSKINNY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Georgia for outpatient medicine only.
Currently looking into practicing with a hospital or private group practice in the Savannah, Atlanta, or Augusta based areas.
If anyone is or has worked in any of these areas and has any advice for me while I pursue my job search, it would be greatly appreciated!
I am currently 3 years out of residency and looking to leave the NJ area for warmer climate, better cost of living and better salary.
Appreciate any advice you have regarding strong hospital affiliations, patient types or just general advice in any of the above areas!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Currently looking into practicing with a hospital or private group practice in the Savannah, Atlanta, or Augusta based areas.
If anyone is or has worked in any of these areas and has any advice for me while I pursue my job search, it would be greatly appreciated!
I am currently 3 years out of residency and looking to leave the NJ area for warmer climate, better cost of living and better salary.
Appreciate any advice you have regarding strong hospital affiliations, patient types or just general advice in any of the above areas!
Thanks in advance!
If I may ask, why Georgia specifically? The 3 locations you mention are pretty far apart so it suggests that its not a specific point that matters (ie. parents in Atlanta or something).

The reason I ask, I'm from and work in SC and we're warmer, even better cost of living outside of Charleston, and pay pretty weel.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I am in school in GA now and know a lot of docs in private and academic practice from serving on the Georgia AFP board if you would like individuals to contact.
If you have specific questions about the Atlanta area or suburbs let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey DOCSKINNY,

Could either on here or in a PM give me insight onto what you think reasonable compensation (salary/sign-on/productivity/quality) is in NJ. Im interviewing in the area right now. Thanks man.

I haven't yet looked for physician jobs in SC but have lived in SC for the past 8 yr (start residency in July). I have, however, worked as a PA for all those years, mostly in the midlands and Pee Dee. Physicians here are appreciated and paid very, very well. Cost of living is exceptionally low. (my annual property taxes on an 1800 sq ft home on a small lot but very nice neighborhood and new) are $600/yr. SC state income taxes are low. Almost never have much of a heating bill--although this winter was an anomaly with snow and ice 3x). Hot and humid here in July-Sept but gorgeous springs and autumns (82 and sunny here today!)
I've worked in Augusta (PA faculty, not clinically). Slightly more expensive than central SC. Slightly more expensive. Some people call it "Disgusta" but I always liked it lol.
Savannah is my favorite city in all the world but fairly expensive. Nice to visit. Just north of there is Beaufort, SC--a lot of the charm of Savannah but much cheaper.
Atlanta is traffic hell. The surrounding areas are quite nice. Never worked there though.
Good luck to you and welcome to the sunny south!!

Hey DOCSKINNY,

Could either on here or in a PM give me insight onto what you think reasonable compensation (salary/sign-on/productivity/quality) is in NJ. Im interviewing in the area right now. Thanks man.

Hey!
So NJ is saturated with Family Docs, at lease the area I am in which is Central Jersey.
The fact that there is a lot of supply of docs makes the compensation low.
I am making a little over 160,000 a year without my productivity plan (RVU's)
Expect a sign on bonus of around 10-15K that is if YOU DON'T have a relocation expense which otherwise that money goes too.
Productivity generally does not happen until the 2nd to 3rd year you practice as you need to build up your patient's.
Even then, your figure to get an additional 20K if lucky and if your busy, MAJOR IF!!!
The starting salary I got out of residency was a low 130K, that sucked!
The cost of living here is exceptionally high with a 3 to 4 bedroom house costing around 450K and also not on top of 15K in property taxes..
GOOD LUCK its a rough financial obligation which is why I'm taking myself South!

Hey!
So NJ is saturated with Family Docs, at lease the area I am in which is Central Jersey.
The fact that there is a lot of supply of docs makes the compensation low.
I am making a little over 160,000 a year without my productivity plan (RVU's)
Expect a sign on bonus of around 10-15K that is if YOU DON'T have a relocation expense which otherwise that money goes too.
Productivity generally does not happen until the 2nd to 3rd year you practice as you need to build up your patient's.
Even then, your figure to get an additional 20K if lucky and if your busy, MAJOR IF!!!
The starting salary I got out of residency was a low 130K, that sucked!
The cost of living here is exceptionally high with a 3 to 4 bedroom house costing around 450K and also not on top of 15K in property taxes..
GOOD LUCK its a rough financial obligation which is why I'm taking myself South!

Not pretty for someone looking to set up shop back in NJ. I hear that some of the local hospital systems are in the process of hiring (and buying out) PCPs in the area. Meridian Health immediately comes to mind since they are the big player in the Mon-Oc area. What are jobs like that offering? (BTW looks like you're living in one of the nicer spots in the area. There's definitely cheaper houses and taxes that are decent places to live).

Gotta be honest, and I've said it before, situations like you mention above do not make FM look very enticing. In the end I'm going to go with I like (and can match into of course) but if it's a toss-up between FM and something else… something else wins.