Over 70 2nd. Moderna booster.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted314957

Good day. Visiting from path board. How do y’all feel about 2nd Moderna boosters for healthy 70+ y.o.’s? I’m getting lots of conflicting opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

The safety data is probably convincing enough for FDA to give green light. Israel also did massive 4th shot program and did not find any safety signal.

The efficacy of mRNA is stunning at short term and wean quickly after 4 months. Having COVID shot every 4 months sounds crazy, and we honestly don't know whether this approach would result in any unknown immunological effects at long time.

At the same time, drugs like Paxlovid is 89% efficacious against severe disease, which is as good as a vaccine. The big problem is probably access, but it is much better at this time. So unless a person is particularly extremely high risk (advanced heart failure waiting a transplant), I would probably leave the pt him- or herself to choose.

The safety data is probably convincing enough for FDA to give green light. Israel also did massive 4th shot program and did not find any safety signal.

The efficacy of mRNA is stunning at short term and wean quickly after 4 months. Having COVID shot every 4 months sounds crazy, and we honestly don't know whether this approach would result in any unknown immunological effects at long time.

At the same time, drugs like Paxlovid is 89% efficacious against severe disease, which is as good as a vaccine. The big problem is probably access, but it is much better at this time. So unless a person is particularly extremely high risk (advanced heart failure waiting a transplant), I would probably leave the pt him- or herself to choose.
Lots of drug interactions with Paxlovid though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of drug interactions with Paxlovid though.

The drug interaction checker should just say drugs that are OKAY to use given how extensive that list is.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

We do however know that PASC risk is higher in people who are not boosted.