Overestimating my competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question regarding my application. I've heard mixed things from people I know and a few advisors, and I'd like to settle this once and for all.

I have a 3.82 cGPA from a top 25 school and a 512 MCAT (~32 old scale, with a 124 in CARS). I'm an ORM, traditional applicant, and my parent is a physician. Did I overestimate how competitive my application is? My list had a good mix of places, but I'm now afraid I don't stand a chance at most of the mid and higher tier schools I've already applied to. Which sort of sucks, because a lot of those places have missions that I really align with (service for underserved populations, etc.)- but, with median MCATs of ~34, 35, I probably just wasted a ton of money to places that I don't feel will seriously consider me.

I welcome all opinions, lovely souls of SDN.

Ohio State
Toledo
Wright St.
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
George Washington
Georgetown
Rush
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Temple
Wake Forest
MCW
Tufts
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
CWRU
CCLCM
Einstein
Columbia
BU
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
NYU

Osteopathic Programs
NYITCOM (New York College of Osteopathic Medicine)
OU-HCOM (Ohio University-Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine)
CCOM (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine)

Members don't see this ad.

8/9 of the end of the MD list seem like reaches, but so what. You should get some love from others on the list. If you don't try you will never know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are they reaches because of the MCAT? I thought that once your score hit a certain point, they viewed it as a "okay, good, move on to next part of application."

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they reaches because of the MCAT? I thought that once your score hit a certain point, they viewed it as a "okay, good, move on to next part of application."

For top schools that point isn't until 34 at least, but probably more like 35-36. They have an average LizzyM of 75ish and you have a LizzyM of 70. You're not URM or SES disadvantaged. You are competing with other people for these spots, what about your application is better than theirs if they have a GPA the same as yours or better, a higher MCAT (almost undoubtedly), and when most people at top schools have truly amazing EC's?

Reactions: 1 user
For top schools that point isn't until 34 at least, but probably more like 35-36. They have an average LizzyM of 75ish and you have a LizzyM of 70. You're not URM or SES disadvantaged. You are competing with other people for these spots, what about your application is better than theirs if they have a GPA the same as yours or better, a higher MCAT (almost undoubtedly), and when most people at top schools have truly amazing EC's?
Truly amazing ECs...?

Truly amazing ECs...?

Rhodes, Goldwater, Fulbright, Military, Teach for America, founded a nonprofit, started a company, extended volunteer work in Africa or South America president of their undergrad, multiple publications, varsity athletics...

Reactions: 1 users

Agree with this. For many of those schools it's not "ok move on" its we want 35 and up, especially if you are an ORM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

agree. you will prob get in somewhere, but a "top 10" med school is prob out of reach, unless your ECs are exceptional.

Wait but a lot of those schools aren't in the top 10. Other than Harvard and Columbia...

Hi NDhopeful, I realize this is posted in the medical forum but wanted to say that as a fellow applicant this cycle I find this process spurs self-doubt. I'm experiencing very similar insecurity - you aren't alone. All I can say is that focusing on other projects and hitting the gym helps me stay sane in a high-stakes process (some of which is of my hands), surrounded by tremendously qualified and inspiring colleagues. You said you feel aligned with the missions of those mid-upper tier schools on your list. This is entirely my opinion, but if you selected those schools because you felt they were places where you had something specific to contribute, or because you felt their programs in particular would help you reach certain career goals, your money is not wasted.

Hi NDhopeful, I realize this is posted in the medical forum but wanted to say that as a fellow applicant this cycle I find this process spurs self-doubt. I'm experiencing very similar insecurity - you aren't alone. All I can say is that focusing on other projects and hitting the gym helps me stay sane in a high-stakes process (some of which is of my hands), surrounded by tremendously qualified and inspiring colleagues. You said you feel aligned with the missions of those mid-upper tier schools on your list. This is entirely my opinion, but if you selected those schools because you felt they were places where you had something specific to contribute, or because you felt their programs in particular would help you reach certain career goals, your money is not wasted.
I really needed that. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My assertion is that you have very geographically close schools that you didn't apply to and I wasn't sure why. If you are going for a region then just apply to all the schools in that area that make sense. If you are applying to Temple in Philly, you might as well add Jefferson and Drexel which are in the same very rough range of competitiveness.

Some of this depends on what state you have residency as well as your geographical and personal preferences.

Just one person's opinion when I look at that list.

I assume you're a Buckeye? If so, chances are best with the OH schools, except Case. The ones in red were donations, I'm afraid. Add some more DO schools, like LECOM and MUCOM, and Drexel, Temple, Oakland-B, St Louis

Ohio State
Toledo
Wright St.
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
George Washington
Georgetown
Rush
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Temple
Wake Forest
MCW
Tufts
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
CWRU
CCLCM
Einstein
Columbia

BU
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
NYU

Osteopathic Programs
CCOM (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine)[/QUOTE]

I assume you're a Buckeye? If so, chances are best with the OH schools, except Case. The ones in red were donations, I'm afraid. Add some more DO schools, like LECOM and MUCOM, and Drexel, Temple, Oakland-B, St Louis

Ohio State
Toledo
Wright St.
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
George Washington
Georgetown
Rush
Quinnipiac
Creighton
Temple
Wake Forest
MCW
Tufts
Wayne State
Rosalind Franklin
CWRU
CCLCM
Einstein
Columbia

BU
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
NYU

Osteopathic Programs
CCOM (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine)
[/QUOTE]

Ohio State but not CCLCM? BU but not Einstein?

@Goro, I also remember you telling me I was in "striking distance" for Dartmouth and Emory. What gives with the difference in opinion each time you respond to one of my threads? I'm trying to get honest opinions and it doesn't help when you change your words.

lol come on man you have to do your own research, don't place so much value on what people say on the internet.

Reactions: 1 users
lol come on man you have to do your own research, don't place so much value on what people say on the internet.
Well yeah, and I have, I just want to make sure that I have options that I'll be happy with come next fall.

CCL too small to really assess properly
My bad; keep BU and Einstein.....but you'll need the research bonafides for AE and Emory.

Ohio State but not CCLCM? BU but not Einstein?

@Goro, I also remember you telling me I was in "striking distance" for Dartmouth and Emory. What gives with the difference in opinion each time you respond to one of my threads? I'm trying to get honest opinions and it doesn't help when you change your words.[/QUOTE]