Overnight Pharmacists... Are you happy?/ Anybody with a pharmacy job that is not retail.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnTheGrind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a technician with CVS and a pre pharmacy student. I absolutely love the field, I love the environment of the pharmacy, I love the work inside the pharmacy, but anybody who has worked retail pharmacy knows how brutal it can be. I was considering becoming an overnight pharmacist. Just doing all the technical work, not dealing with too many customers, and only working half the year sounds nice. But I guess my question is there anything I should know about before looking into it further?

The only thing I would miss out on is helping patients which I would love to do. I would love counseling and helping people find the right medications. But I feel like Retail almost ruined that aspect of the field. So my second question is. Are there other Pharmacy jobs you would recommend? And for those of you who have worked those jobs are you happy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just doing all the technical work, not dealing with too many customers, and only working half the year sounds nice.

First, if you need to borrow student loans, working just half the year is not going to be possible.

Second, don't go into pharmacy if you don't see yourself doing retail for the next 30 years. 70% of the jobs are still in retail or retail like.

Third, don't think overnight pharmacists are having it easy. Management now expects overnight pharmacists to approve a certain number of prescriptions and you would still have to do deal with crazy customers by yourself

Forth, consider the long term health risk and consider how it would affect your interaction with your family when you are working the graveyard shift

You have to be able to multitask really well as you are there alone. Its very feast or famine. You also have to know how to deal with people showing up out of the blue exhibiting drug seeking behavior. Oddly, you actually get better quality customer interactions at night. You have the time to have good, in depth discussions with patients that just wouldn't be possible during the day. I've spent 20 minutes going over peoples medications and more or less doing full on medication management that the dorks in academia would drool over at 2AM before. As far as regular patients go you mostly will deal with people working 2nd shift coming off of work, people coming out of the ED, and older people that wake up really early.

I love it and hope to do it forever. I'm a unique case though. I was literally raised by drug addicts and I'm a night owl. Night pharmacist in an opiate challenged neighborhood is pretty much what I've been preparing my entire life to do, I just didn't know it until I started doing it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Too often the night guy ends up carrying the pharmacy on his back. You could end up doing 40% of the volume and still be be responsible for the sidework. You will always be fighting the stereotype of a slacker getting no respect. You'll be grinding nonstop for 10 to 12 hours with no break working even harder than the day crew. I've done both. The day is easier.

Too often the night guy ends up carrying the pharmacy on his back. You could end up doing 40% of the volume and still be be responsible for the sidework. You will always be fighting the stereotype of a slacker getting no respect. You'll be grinding nonstop for 10 to 12 hours with no break working even harder than the day crew. I've done both. The day is easier.
I actually looked at the stats every week - I did 41% of the scripts 2 weeks ago...only 35% this week. And I did a warehouse return, Genco return, inventoried the entire narc safe...and all the other little things. But I'm not that crazy busy. I still have enough time for a decent sit down lunch where I can just relax for a spell.

I actually looked at the stats every week - I did 41% of the scripts 2 weeks ago...only 35% this week. And I did a warehouse return, Genco return, inventoried the entire narc safe...and all the other little things. But I'm not that crazy busy. I still have enough time for a decent sit down lunch where I can just relax for a spell.

But your store is not a typical 24-hr store though. From what I remember from previous post, your store does less than 2000 rx.. I bet overnight rph at Harbison store doesn't have it as easy as you...

But your store is not a typical 24-hr store though. From what I remember from previous post, your store does less than 2000 rx.. I bet overnight rph at Harbison store doesn't have it as easy as you...
We are at 2000 right now and projecting up to 2200 come Winter.

The pharmacists at Harbison just have to do scripts and fill the robot though (with the daily smallish things like trash.) Its nice for a spell of mindlessness. Harbison has to be one of the craziest stores in the country, though. 2AM there is literally like 1PM at my store. Not quite rush hour, but there are people sitting in the waiting room.

No his store is a typical overnight store and Harbison is NOT a typical overnight store......

No his store is a typical overnight store and Harbison is NOT a typical overnight store......

Of course it's not.. I was just pointing out that graveyard shift may not be "cake" (a very common perception) at a busy 24- hr store. Almost all the 24-hr stores around my area do well over 2500 scripts. Just spoke to an overnight rph few days ago whose store averages 1000 rx a day on weekdays (CVS in Valdosta) and he was telling me filling queue at his store never really ends.

Just curious is Harbison the busiest store in the country? If not, which store is it?

Working 7 on/7off be it retail or hospital is all an attitude. Once you ( and maybe a family )develop a routine its actually quite nice.

Of course it's not.. I was just pointing out that graveyard shift may not be "cake" (a very common perception) at a busy 24- hr store. Almost all the 24-hr stores around my area do well over 2500 scripts. Just spoke to an overnight rph few days ago whose store averages 1000 rx a day on weekdays (CVS in Valdosta) and he was telling me filling queue at his store never really ends.

Just curious is Harbison the busiest store in the country? If not, which store is it?

So you pick the one of the busiest that's an outlier and us that as a example? Get real.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love it and hope to do it forever. I'm a unique case though. I was literally raised by drug addicts and
You have to be able to multitask really well as you are there alone. Its very feast or famine. You also have to know how to deal with people showing up out of the blue exhibiting drug seeking behavior. Oddly, you actually get better quality customer interactions at night. You have the time to have good, in depth discussions with patients that just wouldn't be possible during the day. I've spent 20 minutes going over peoples medications and more or less doing full on medication management that the dorks in academia would drool over at 2AM before. As far as regular patients go you mostly will deal with people working 2nd shift coming off of work, people coming out of the ED, and older people that wake up really early.

I love it and hope to do it forever. I'm a unique case though. I was literally raised by drug addicts and I'm a night owl. Night pharmacist in an opiate challenged neighborhood is pretty much what I've been preparing my entire life to do, I just didn't know it until I started doing it.

you say that you have to multi task but you also have time to counsel a patient for 20 minutes. What exactly do you mean by multi task. I know day shifts we have to make PCQ calls while doing other things in the pharmacy or call insurance and stuff but what do you need to multi task overnight? and yeahI'm not too worried about dealing with addicts. I too have been dealing with them all my life.

you say that you have to multi task but you also have time to counsel a patient for 20 minutes. What exactly do you mean by multi task..

You are most likely by yourself at night and it can get bit crazy if you have 4 different people from emergency room coming at the same time to drop off their rx and they all are waiters.. And you also have people lining up in drive-through at 6:00 am while you have bunch of people waiting at pick up. Not to mention phone also starts ringing. You have to be able to multitask and prioritise in these situations. Same thing happens during day but usually you have enough manpower to handle it.

What happen to all retail graveyards RAD, CVS, and WAG? They stop 7 on, 7 off? Any other schedule for GY will be worse off than this... Adjusting circadian rhythm once a week is not bad but trying to adjust twice in a week is no joke, could probably shorten your life a lot. Sucks to be a GY person if 7 on, 7 off is gone.

Reading through that thread, it sounds like its specific to CA, thanks to a lawsuit (it only takes 1 person to ruin it for everyone.)

you say that you have to multi task but you also have time to counsel a patient for 20 minutes. What exactly do you mean by multi task. I know day shifts we have to make PCQ calls while doing other things in the pharmacy or call insurance and stuff but what do you need to multi task overnight? and yeahI'm not too worried about dealing with addicts. I too have been dealing with them all my life.

Between 9PM-11PM, I'm there alone. At least a few night a week, I'll venture into double digit scripts during one of those hours and it turns into a madhouse. The morning from 7-9AM has te same potential, but it happens more from 9-11PM. And the potential for apocalyptic madness is there, too. I've had the occasional "night of madness" where there are 3 cars at drive thru, 4 people inside, a page of waiters, and the phone screaming "3 Pharmacy Calls!" in my ear. And there is nobody to help you. I don't care what anyone says, those situations are a 10 on the stress scale and harder than anything you could imagine from the typical day shift , but its rare. A few times a year. And then when its slow...its s l o w. Like this week. It was the first of the month, so I had everything done...and did the Genco return out of boredom even though it was going to be my partner's responsibility that month. And even then it was like 6AM when I was done. I was bored out my mind. Like I said, feast or famine.

Between 9PM-11PM, I'm there alone. At least a few night a week, I'll venture into double digit scripts during one of those hours and it turns into a madhouse. The morning from 7-9AM has te same potential, but it happens more from 9-11PM. And the potential for apocalyptic madness is there, too. I've had the occasional "night of madness" where there are 3 cars at drive thru, 4 people inside, a page of waiters, and the phone screaming "3 Pharmacy Calls!" in my ear. And there is nobody to help you. I don't care what anyone says, those situations are a 10 on the stress scale and harder than anything you could imagine from the typical day shift , but its rare. A few times a year. And then when its slow...its s l o w. Like this week. It was the first of the month, so I had everything done...and did the Genco return out of boredom even though it was going to be my partner's responsibility that month. And even then it was like 6AM when I was done. I was bored out my mind. Like I said, feast or famine.

Sounds chaotic and nice at the same time. But with all of that being said. Are you happy?

I'm an overnight guy at a certain three letter pharmacy and WVUPharmacy2007 is pretty much explaining my exact thoughts on this gig. I enjoy the night shift. There are a lot of benefits to it. The 7on/7off is awesome. You can easily plan little 3-4 day getaways and not to mention having three weeks off when you take a vacation. Can't really call any doctors or patients after hours, so you just leave it all for the day shift. You handle data entry and production yourself and don't have to worry about techs flubbing up, you basically manage yourself. The regulars that come at night build strong relationships with you since you can usually find the time to effectively counsel them. You are more like a therapist than a pharmacist, people call you at 3am in the morning to talk about their problems in life. But when the workload gets real, it gets really real and you have to stick to your values on serving patients in the proper order. They can't really say anything if they see you busting your butt though. Yes you get a higher percentage of "drug seekers" but they do bring a certain amount of excitement to the night shift. The worst part about it is doing automatic refill (if your chain does that); it can get tedious and sometimes nonsensical. That being said it all depends on how busy the store is and how much non-dispensing tasks they delegate to the night rph. It's also better if you're a night owl guy with no wife and kids, that's also tough enough to handle the urban drug seeker types with little backup.

I'm an overnight at the chain of the devil. It's pretty much what everyone said above. Would I go to days? HELL NO NOT AT CVS. Nights are pharmacy's best kept secret and for anyone who is single or for anyone who it can work with their husband or wife it's the best, easiest, and closest to stress free gig you can get in chain pharmacy.

Hey fellow overnighters,

I have been doing the Graveyard shift as an inpatient pharmacist for the past 2 years, been a pharmacist for 7 years. I just wanted to see what you guys or gals do to adjust on your days off and what you guys do on your 7 days on. I work 8 10 hr shifts and then 6 days off and I've lost 20 lbs since starting graveyard and am considering getting off. I pretty much eat only twice a day when i work the nights just once when i get up at 4/5pm and once again around 2/3 AM. How long have you guys been doing it? I enjoy the workload and slow pace of nights but am fearful of it being a detriment to my health and family life.

I work 8 10 hr shifts and then 6 days off and I've lost 20 lbs since starting graveyard and am considering getting off. I pretty much eat only twice a day when i work the nights just once when i get up at 4/5pm and once again around 2/3 AM.

Losing 20 pounds is a bad thing? For most Americans, that would be considered a job bonus & a positive health change.

Losing 20 pounds is a bad thing? For most Americans, that would be considered a job bonus & a positive health change.

I am one of those people who have to eat A LOT to gain weight. If I just eat when I am hungry, I will eat once or twice a day and my weight will be 150 lb at 6'' looking like typical scrawny Asian (except typical Asian is not 6''). When I worked GY, that was my weight 155 lb. I ate twice a day right before work, and right after work.

Right now, I eat 4-5 times a day just to maintain 210-220 lb, that's trying to force food down my throat, and they are not small portions either (8 oz of chicken breast + 2 cups of rice/huge bowl of oatmeal). I love to work out, the hardest part of maintaining a physique is eating huge clean meal often, it gets very exhausting. I'd never want to look scrawny again.

I guess losing 20lbs is not really a bad thing (dropped from 179 t0 159lbs). But, from speaking to some of the night doctors and RNs its seems the consensus is that working night shifts will ultimately do harm to your body. One of the doctors actually told me not to do graveyard for more than 3 years since studies show that those working nights are at a higher risk of getting cancer. I wonder if its the constant change of going back and forth since on my days off i try switching back to normal sleep 11-8am. How long have you overnighters been doing it and do you all plan on doing it indefinitely.

I've been on overnights for 2 years and I plan to max out at around 5 yrs. I moved back home recently to pay off student loans and save money so once I do that, I'll more than likely leave this area (southwest GA) and try to find a new day shift job. I'm more of a night owl anyway so even when I switch from GY, I'll still probably be on evenings rather than days. I'm sure my mind will change once I get married and have kids but since that's not the case now, I'm gonna continue racking up these extra night shift and weekend differentials. :thumbup:

I am working nightshift in ER and inpatient. Most of the times are nice but a few nights are disaster, especially when we have new doctors who do not know our protocol.

I work inpatient GY shift and will be going day time. It's more of my wife wish to work day time so me and my new born son will have more time as a family but I like working GY. People are more chill and no one overlook your shoulder and gossips as much. I probably still do OT at GY whenever people call off or go on vacation.

When I left GY to back to a day shift I was miserable. After about 6 months an overnight position became available and I took it without hesitation. Just like a lot of posters on this site I like overnight because of less supervision, less interaction with patients, less gossip and office politics, and getting a weeks vacation every other week without having to use vacation time. As I've previously stated, the key is setteling into a routine and sticking with it. As for being detrimental to health well that's all relative. Working the day shift and having some silly bastard take an extra 20 minutes for lunch or dump on to you some prescription or order with an extenuating circumstance is a hell of a lot more stressful and subsequentially detrimental to health than transitioning from days to nights or nights to days.

Reactions: 2 users
I've worked both day, night and graveyard shift for quite some time. The overnight shift are not bad but some stores can be hell especially when the pharmacy manager doesn't schedule much help at night or no help at all. I've worked at stores when I was greeted with 7 baskets of deletions piled high literally, double digits labels printed, cars lined up in drive thru and a line inside and not to mention the fact the manager scheduled everyone to leave at 10pm when the overnight comes in. Let's just say I never went back to that store again lol I think everyone who does overnights though should limit it to no more than 5 years.

I think everyone who does overnights though should limit it to no more than 5 years.

I recommend no more than two years. Graveyard shift will kill ya. Even years from my last gig I fear I'm not out of the woods as far as my health is concerned.

I recommend no more than two years. Graveyard shift will kill ya. Even years from my last gig I fear I'm not out of the woods as far as my health is concerned.

It depends though. If I work a graveyard shift, I wouldn't be trying to adjust back to daylight hours on the week off. I'd just always be nocturnal.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see how any way possible you can say the day time is easier than over night? Over night by far has a lighter load and less responsibilities- look at this way- how many MD calls are you going to get in the day/night? How many insurance rejections will you call on DAY/NIGHT? How many consultations DAY/NIGHT? How many Pharmacy transfers DAY/Night? How many Voice Mails DAY/NIGHT? Will your Pharmacy SUP typically visit your store over night? How many drug reps come in over night? How many new prescriptions DAY/NIGHT or Refills? I believe now you get my point- it's a joke for anyone to say that Retail is harder to work over night than day time give me a break- I worked over night 2 weeks ago and the 2 days combined 24 hour total( two 12 hour shifts) I had 3 new prescriptions on the 1st night 4 the next night- so that's 7 total and I would say on both days after 12 am the phone rang 6 times max combined both days. I averaged about 6 to 7 pages of Ready fills each night- but remember those Ready fills are people who are not even showing up until 2 or 3 days later- It was a breeze. Now unless you are talking about a non-retail over night job you may have a point- but if you talking about Retail- night time is far easier.

I'm referring to the dreadnought stores that do 800+ on a Monday, 500+ on the weekend. Typically I would come into a pharmacy in distress at 10pm. All the techs leave. A stack of printed labels thick as a phone book on the counter. Another 150-200 in the queue. Drug bottles littering the counter. Parata empty spitting out nothing but rejects and partial fills. A stack of fax backs regarding clarifications. Baskets of filled prescriptions needed to be filed in the bins. I don't want to know what lurks buried in the problem box. Then right out of the gate there's the obligatory drivethru customer that wants 6 rxs filled at another store to be transferred stat. Hospice faxes in the usual 2 or 3 admissions with each needing at least 8 -12 orders. Meanwhile don't forget the line 8 deep at the counter, God knows how many stacked in the drivethru, phone nonstop, and oh they left the warehouse for me too. Well isn't that special. And geez somebody wants a frickin flu shot. their BP tested, change the flavor of his biaxin, what's the best choice for a Part D plan, stupid PSE needs DL info input, the thug boyfriend that can't wait for a planB, the obnoxious boomer who needs his boner pills before the crying baby's augmentin ( and he whips out the coupon card at POS which needs a direct submit link claim). I'm lucky if the line is gone by 130am then it's time to put the department back together. Still a stack of labels which grows because now the next day's labels are printing. Spend 30 minutes trying to grind out some work, but making no real progress. 4 hours into the shift and I've shot my wad. So what do i do? Stop and rest to fall further behind or keep grinding with every decreasing efficiency? Usually it's taking 5 minutes to gulp a pepsi and pressing forward. Maybe around 5am I have to sit on the stool for at least 5 minutes if I don't want my calves and hammies to lock up during the soon-to-start morning rush.

And that's an easy night with no problems.

Reactions: 3 users
How do you deal with all the drug addicts at night? I had someone last night who used his 90 day supply of a CIV before 60 days were up and wanted a refill. We already faxed Dr who rejected it as 'too soon' and he literally would not walk away so I could move on to something else. Also, last night I got a script from the ER for Concerta. Why would an ER prescribe that... And what is up with all the young people in their 20s that take hydrocodone all the time? They look so dirty and older than me, but sometimes younger.

I'm referring to the dreadnought stores that do 800+ on a Monday, 500+ on the weekend. Typically I would come into a pharmacy in distress at 10pm. All the techs leave. A stack of printed labels thick as a phone book on the counter. Another 150-200 in the queue. Drug bottles littering the counter. Parata empty spitting out nothing but rejects and partial fills. A stack of fax backs regarding clarifications. Baskets of filled prescriptions needed to be filed in the bins. I don't want to know what lurks buried in the problem box. Then right out of the gate there's the obligatory drivethru customer that wants 6 rxs filled at another store to be transferred stat. Hospice faxes in the usual 2 or 3 admissions with each needing at least 8 -12 orders. Meanwhile don't forget the line 8 deep at the counter, God knows how many stacked in the drivethru, phone nonstop, and oh they left the warehouse for me too. Well isn't that special. And geez somebody wants a frickin flu shot. their BP tested, change the flavor of his biaxin, what's the best choice for a Part D plan, stupid PSE needs DL info input, the thug boyfriend that can't wait for a planB, the obnoxious boomer who needs his boner pills before the crying baby's augmentin ( and he whips out the coupon card at POS which needs a direct submit link claim). I'm lucky if the line is gone by 130am then it's time to put the department back together. Still a stack of labels which grows because now the next day's labels are printing. Spend 30 minutes trying to grind out some work, but making no real progress. 4 hours into the shift and I've shot my wad. So what do i do? Stop and rest to fall further behind or keep grinding with every decreasing efficiency? Usually it's taking 5 minutes to gulp a pepsi and pressing forward. Maybe around 5am I have to sit on the stool for at least 5 minutes if I don't want my calves and hammies to lock up during the soon-to-start morning rush.

Well since you mentioned Parada that tells me you are working for WAGS aka WalGreedy- based on what you stated you have a serious staffing issue if the last tech leaves at 10pm- again I am short staffed at the pharmacy I work but from Mon-Friday there are 2 techs that stay to 1230am. If you are walking into that kind of chaos I really feel for you- wouldn't wish that on anyone.

How do you deal with all the drug addicts at night? I had someone last night who used his 90 day supply of a CIV before 60 days were up and wanted a refill. We already faxed Dr who rejected it as 'too soon' and he literally would not walk away so I could move on to something else. Also, last night I got a script from the ER for Concerta. Why would an ER prescribe that... And what is up with all the young people in their 20s that take hydrocodone all the time? They look so dirty and older than me, but sometimes younger.
I simply would tell the person it's too soon end of story- if he doesn't move away- security or 911 as your last resort. An ER with Concerta is beyond me even trying to guess the rationale. Young/middle age/ Old the abuse of hydrocodone hits all age barriers and a good percentage of them are abusing them- that's why it's be moving to a C2 next month.

Forth, consider the long term health risk and consider how it would affect your interaction with your family when you are working the graveyard shift
I think for health professions like pharmacy and nursing it's like a 'wash' because it's either you want to endure the stress that goes on during the day or you can stand being out of your bed for a couple of nights in order to avoid all the mayhem of 7a-7p shift... I used to work 7p-7a as a nurse 2 days a week for 8 years and I thought that I had a better deal than the day crew... A stressful job is no joke, my friend!

2-3 nights/wk is not that bad, but anything over that is a problem IMO...

Last edited:

This is the one mentality that pisses me the f*ck off. It doesn't matter what you think is easier or harder, day or night, or whatever. Night is hard, and harder, because we are f*cking awake while you sleep like a normal human being. We are awake while you sleep. That's it. End of story. We're. F*cking. Awake. While. You're. F*cking. Sleeping. That's why I deserve more money for working night. Because I'm fu*king awake, while my supervisor and PIC and staff is f*king sleeping. That's why I will complain about any work given to me overnight. Because I'm f*cking awake, while you're f**king sleeping.

And please, I'm so sick of day time RPh's who do an occasional overnight here or there and say how easy it is. Work at least a year before you have an opinion or can claim you have figured it all out.

This is the one mentality that pisses me the f*ck off. It doesn't matter what you think is easier or harder, day or night, or whatever. Night is hard, and harder, because we are f*cking awake while you sleep like a normal human being. We are awake while you sleep. That's it. End of story. We're. F*cking. Awake. While. You're. F*cking. Sleeping. That's why I deserve more money for working night. Because I'm fu*king awake, while my supervisor and PIC and staff is f*king sleeping. That's why I will complain about any work given to me overnight. Because I'm f*cking awake, while you're f**king sleeping.

And please, I'm so sick of day time RPh's who do an occasional overnight here or there and say how easy it is. Work at least a year before you have an opinion or can claim you have figured it all out.
You have a valid point.

Please don't forget the morning pharmacist that shows up 30 minutes late.

Please don't forget the morning pharmacist that shows up 30 minutes late.

Please don't forget the night pharmacist that shows up 30 minutes late.....

This has to be the most idiotic post- so when you are sleeping the Day pharmacist is working and so is the majority of Americans. Also, MD's office are open during the time when your ass is sleep,- how the hell do you think you "deserve" more money when you are doing less of the business- what an idiot you are to have that kind of rationale. Run a report at your pharmacy and see how many new prescriptions get typed in during the day hours versus the night- what a joke.

And FYI 3 years ago I did over night for 10 and 1/2 months and I would say about 95% of the time I was basically done at 5am(this was a 9pm to 7am shift). Pretty much after 1am you get your couple of ER scripts and around 4 to 5 am you get a couple of elderly people calling in their refills- there was never 10 people in line or 3 to 4 cars in drive thru- no visits from Drug reps- no visits from the Supervisor, the phone was never ringing constantly off the hook- heck from 12am to 7 pm- you may average 3 phone calls in those 7 hours- work day shift you get 3 phone calls all at one time for the majority of the day. How many faxes are coming in over night? If you get one that's considered busy- how many e-scribes are coming through over night? Give it a rest- everyone knows typically your over night pharmacist are your "weakest" pharmacist- heck most Pharmacy Supervisors wouldn't dare put a really good pharmacist over night unless they had too- I work over night because the pharmacist was out on military leave- it was the 10 and 1/2 months of stress free work.

Last edited:
People, people, we are all supposed to be on the same side here. Reality is, some days go nice and smooth, so do some nights. More often then not, BOTH days and nights are often psychotically crazy (often due to short staffing, but sometimes just because of major problems that couldn't be predicted ahead of time.) Not to mention some stores are easier then others (maybe they are better run, maybe they have better customers, maybe they just have better teamwork, etc.) Working 2 nights (or days) at one store and then deciding that nightshift (or dayshift) is always a breeze is completely ludicrous reasoning. We've all had basic science classes and should know that at least 30 events need to occur for a pattern to even start to be looked at.

Run a report at your pharmacy and see how many new prescriptions get typed in during the day hours versus the night- what a joke.

Night pharmacists do much, much more than just new prescriptions.

Night pharmacists do much, much more than just new prescriptions.
Well no doubt they are not sitting on their asses, but in terms of what they do compare to the day time pharmacist it's not even close and that will go for almost any industry that is open 24 hours- do you know any Pharmacy that does more scripts over night than daytime? I think not!!!!

People, people, we are all supposed to be on the same side here. Reality is, some days go nice and smooth, so do some nights. More often then not, BOTH days and nights are often psychotically crazy (often due to short staffing, but sometimes just because of major problems that couldn't be predicted ahead of time.) Not to mention some stores are easier then others (maybe they are better run, maybe they have better customers, maybe they just have better teamwork, etc.) Working 2 nights (or days) at one store and then deciding that nightshift (or dayshift) is always a breeze is completely ludicrous reasoning. We've all had basic science classes and should know that at least 30 events need to occur for a pattern to even start to be looked at.
If you look at my previous post I have worked over nights many times- yes I worked over night 2 weeks ago- but I worked over nights for nearly 11 months a few years ago. I have worked my share of over nights to speak on the issue and my statement stands firm- Over night does not do as much work load as a day time pharmacist- for the most part over night scripts- heck if you take out the Ready refills and just basically went on new scripts would be about 5 percent of the total pharmacy business and that's pure fact.

When you see Pharmacies shutting down the day shift and just having over night hours than make a claim- you never heard of a pharmacy getting rid of day time hours and just keeping the pharmacy open over night? That would be insane right- but you surely have heard of pharmacies(Walgreens recently) phasing out the over night shifts???? Wal-Mart even experienced with having 24 hour pharmacies and it failed miserably.

Last edited: