What's with the obsession with crypto and stocks that a certain personality type of pharmacists have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CetiAlphaFive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know the type. What is the deal with it?

It reminds me of the people in traffic who are constantly changing lanes and slamming on the accelerator only to end up at the same red light as you.

Why does this profession attract people who will spend countless days of time and effort trying to get ahead with financial stuff, but they can't muster the word "no" when dealing with management at work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I literally don’t know any pharmacists obsessed with crypto. The only people I see obsessed are the townies from high school that never left the county, who, for some reason, are still on my Facebook feed.

Stocks, most of my friends are Bogleheads, so we spend our days minimizing costs and discussing good investment strategies that will pay off in 30 years because it’s stupid to pay someone else to take advantage of us for commissions. Kind of boring. We talk about stocks like one talks about the weather (in our fun money accounts).

Reactions: 1 users
I fell into this trap because I saw people get rich quick, post their screenshots and developed FOMO and here I am holding a huge bag. Oh well, I only risked what I could afford to lose and I've gone back to indexing like I did before and have way less stress now. Can't say the same for some people I know, unfortunately.

It seems so simple to buy low and sell high, but how many people were brave enough to buy the dip the past few months when it looked like crypto was going to zero? They'd be up 2-3x already if they did.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
God bless you. I know one who I wouldn’t say is “obsessed” but is a true believer and it’s intolerable.

I’m so sorry, they’re so cringe to listen to.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally young people with disposable income, so only natural for them to find ways to use said money
Although I have to say that most pharmacist I know aren’t really into it

I am very much anti-crypto. I think it does not carry any intrinsic value and does nothing but wasting energy and money laundering.

I invest in stock and real estate. That's it.

It seems so simple to buy low and sell high, but how many people were brave enough to buy the dip the past few months when it looked like crypto was going to zero? They'd be up 2-3x already if they did.
SBF still owes millions billions. Even if you can get rich on paper, it's another story when you discover your coins in digital purse vanishes overnight.

SBF still owes millions billions. Even if you can get rich on paper, it's another story when you discover your coins in digital purse vanishes overnight.

Well the smart people sold and ran away. I was up at first, but listened to all the stupid HODL people.

Articles like this is why there will always be people trying to get rich quick.
It's okay to be greedy, and that's how capitalism works. But articles like this are just very stupid. The hype of crypto could very well burst by 2030 and get replaced by the next big hot idea of the tech industry, rendering bitcoin, ethereum and all other s&!tcoins their intrinsic value, which is $0.

It's okay to be greedy, and that's how capitalism works. But articles like this are just very stupid. The hype of crypto could very well burst by 2030 and get replaced by the next big hot idea of the tech industry, rendering bitcoin, ethereum and all other s&!tcoins their intrinsic value, which is $0.

I'm not sure if BTC will go anywhere, it'd been around since 2009. There were many chances for it to be replaced by now.

Also, for these pharmacists: why penny pinch in the extreme so you can retire at 50?
What are you gonna do that's so much fun? Visit tourist traps?

Traveling in your twenties and thirties >>>>>>>>> traveling at advanced ages

Also, for these pharmacists: why penny pinch in the extreme so you can retire at 50?
What are you gonna do that's so much fun? Visit tourist traps?

Traveling in your twenties and thirties >>>>>>>>> traveling at advanced ages
You must be young!
Worked as a clinical pharmacist for over 37 years. Never had to pinch a penny, never wanted to "retire at 50". Tried hard to have a decent work/life balance. Having travelled, well, in my 20s, 30s, and now 60s, I have to say it's much better in your 60s! The kids are out of the way, much more money to travel first class. Don't knock it until you try it. (But you have to be healthy and in good shape to enjoy it)

Meh, traveling is overrated…but yeah, totally get the caveats with excessive penny pinching simply to retire earlier.
My fun money goes towards machines and gym toys…got too much to play with/keep me occupied so I’m back into grinding/mizer mode. More funds into retirement, emergency funds/HYSA, and paying off mortgage

hell, if I retired at 50, I’m pretty sure I’d die from boredom

yeah, some people take crypto to the extreme…I personally wouldn’t want to touch it (seems scammy, convoluted, questionable/skeptical value, etc.). Moderation…generally < 25% of portfolio. I think some people are just risk/thrill seekers and get some sick pleasure/satisfaction from sporadic highs and lows (that there dopamine fix)

Last edited: