P/S conflicting answers TPR and EK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThujaOccidentalis

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question comes down to Socialization vs Assimilation. TPR and EK have different definitions...are they just making this stuff up now? I've attached the answers below, but allow me to quote.

Assimilation:
EK says - "Assimilation is the process by which an individual or group adopts the customs of another culture."
TPR says - "Assimilation describes the process by which one social group becomes incorporated into another...Assimilation is a group-level theory, while Socialization is an individual-level theory."

Socialization:
EK says - "Socialization...individuals learn about the customs and values of their own culture rather than a new culture."
TPR says - "Socialization is defined as the process of learning the norms, values, and customs of a new social group."

So which is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 8.33.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 8.33.00 PM.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 8.33.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 8.33.14 PM.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 62
I think you're overthinking the MCAT. The MCAT doesn't require you to know the nitpicky details but is more focused on the overall picture. For the MCAT, you should understand that socialization is a process by which individuals acquire norms, traditions, language, etc. of a culture or society. Assimilation is the adoption of the norms, traditions, language, etc. of another culture. These are not mutually exclusive, as evident by their overlapping definitions. Socialization is a process that is required for assimilation to occur.

The question comes down to Socialization vs Assimilation. TPR and EK have different definitions...are they just making this stuff up now? I've attached the answers below, but allow me to quote.

Assimilation:
EK says - "Assimilation is the process by which an individual or group adopts the customs of another culture."
TPR says - "Assimilation describes the process by which one social group becomes incorporated into another...Assimilation is a group-level theory, while Socialization is an individual-level theory."

Socialization:
EK says - "Socialization...individuals learn about the customs and values of their own culture rather than a new culture."
TPR says - "Socialization is defined as the process of learning the norms, values, and customs of a new social group."

So which is it?
I would suggest you pick one set of books for psych/soc and study. The MCAT is laughably simple when it comes to the science they test. The AAMC has 0 interest in parsing minutiae on the exam, and you should not either. That time will come in medical school and on your USMLE exams, be assured, so do not rush it ;)

If you are ever in doubt of your MCAT science content, defer to the AAMC. If they never address it or mention it, take that for what it means. If the AAMC does mention it, see how THEY define it in their practice materials. If the AAMC do not do so, go back to that specific section of your Psych text book. U.S. textbooks go through much more extensive and detailed editing/fact-checking (on average) processes than your typical MCAT book, which are meant as broad reviews sticking to just exam-level content.

Hope this helps, good luck!