PA Resident, 3.99GPA, 29 MCAT (11-8-10)-What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohl

Romans 12:12
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated, I have a 3.99 GPA (4.0 non-sci, 3.98 sci) and I just received word of my MCAT-29. I attend a small, Catholic, liberal arts school, and am a PA resident. I'm interested in both MD and DO programs (essentially finding the school that I really feel at-home at). My extracurriculars have a strong upward trend, but my freshman year was very unimpressive. I have 50+ hours of shadowing experience, in radiology, family med, and bariatric surgery (least favorite lol). I am a mentor at my university, and in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. I feel the biggest hole in my application is my lack of medically related volunteer work, but again, I didn't get involved until the latter portion of my sophomore year and this entire past junior year, because I focused solely on grades when I first came to college. Despite this, I have recently filled out paperwork to volunteer at a local hospital. I also have been doing research this past year, and will continue into my senior year, though unpublished, in a BSL-2 cell culture lab. I have over 200+ hours of cell culture work. I've presented my research at one regional conference, and I earned first place. I've worked in the service industry for over 3+ years. I'm also a work study in my university's biology department this summer, and will be a tutor in the 14-15 school year. Additionally, I'm a first generation college student (I don't know if that helps or hurts me, or has no effect) I will be applying for the 2015 cycle and wanted some honest advice and insight as to my chances. Any advice on my chances of getting an interview, and possibly acceptance?? I feel confident in my interview ability, but it's just getting that invite I'm worried about.

Possible Med Schools, in no order:
Penn State (have had direct contact/exposure to their faculty/adcom/students this summer)
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
PCOM
LECOM
NYMC
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Syracuse
Ohio State (reach?)
WVU
Georgetown
Indiana
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth
Univ. of Maryland

Again, thank you in advance for your help and good luck to all my fellow 2015 cycle applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

11-Verbal, 8-Physical Sciences, 10-Biological Sciences just as an FYI! Hopefully my 8 won't hurt me?? Please, let me know if you can help!

Anybody have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any advice?
We have very similar apps it appears; I have a 3.7 gpa and a 30 mcat (9v/10ps/11bs). I'm also a PA resident. With great ECs, I was told that if I apply broadly and early I should be fine. We should be able to get some love from our state schools (PSU Hershey and Temple) and I'm hoping Jefferson and Drexel will look kindly upon as as well.

Personally, I think you should add more schools. I would recommend checking out Creighton, Wake Forest, UVM, GW, Rush, Saint Luis and a few of the new MD programs (Netter, West Michigan and Hofstra).

For U maryland, they tend to be bias towards in state students so it might not be worthwhile to apply there.

I think the same applies for Ohio State, might be better to replace those in-state bias schools with reach private schools that don't give preference over residence.

Just my 2 cents :p

Reactions: 1 user
Despite your low MCAT, your GPA is definitely in your favor. Apply early (this month) and send in your secondaries by early September at the latest. Those state schools you listed would accept very few OOS applicants with your MCAT. So there is a very low chance of an acceptance at these schools:

SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Syracuse
Ohio State
WVU
Indiana
Univ. of Maryland
For the other 10 schools you have a reasonable chance for an interview. Consider adding another 10 schools to your application such as Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Albany, Rochester, George Washington, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton. Applying to these 10 plus your other original 10 and you should receive several interviews.

We have very similar apps it appears; I have a 3.7 gpa and a 30 mcat (9v/10ps/11bs). I'm also a PA resident. With great ECs, I was told that if I apply broadly and early I should be fine. We should be able to get some love from our state schools (PSU Hershey and Temple) and I'm hoping Jefferson and Drexel will look kindly upon as as well.

Personally, I think you should add more schools. I would recommend checking out Creighton, Wake Forest, UVM, GW, Rush, Saint Luis and a few of the new MD programs (Netter, West Michigan and Hofstra).

For U maryland, they tend to be bias towards in state students so it might not be worthwhile to apply there.

I think the same applies for Ohio State, might be better to replace those in-state bias schools with reach private schools that don't give preference over residence.

I'm really hoping for In-State love! PSU, Temple, Drexel, and Jefferson are all high on my list. I'm kind of partial to staying close to home, or at least within the tri-state area, which is why I didn't apply to schools like St. Louis, UVM, Wake Forest, Quinnipiac or Creighton. Also, I reached on OSU, Indiana, and Maryland, but I feel I have a small chance at WVU and the SUNYs. (Always been an OSU fan, figured I might as well apply!)

I submitted my AMCAS primary 07/13/14 at approximately 8pm, so I'm still relatively early in the cycle.

My final list of applied-to medical schools (as of yesterday) is as follows:
Albany
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
NYMC
PSU Hershey
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Jefferson
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
OSU
Temple
Commonwealth
Toledo
Maryland
VCU
WVU
Wright State

Despite your low MCAT, your GPA is definitely in your favor. Apply early (this month) and send in your secondaries by early September at the latest. Those state schools you listed would accept very few OOS applicants with your MCAT. So there is a very low chance of an acceptance at these schools:

SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Syracuse
Ohio State
WVU
Indiana
Univ. of Maryland
For the other 10 schools you have a reasonable chance for an interview. Consider adding another 10 schools to your application such as Quinnipiac, Hofstra, Albany, Rochester, George Washington, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton. Applying to these 10 plus your other original 10 and you should receive several interviews.
I was hoping my 8 in PS wouldn't put me out of most considerations. I am happy with my 11 in Verbal, I feel like that will be a strong point of my MCAT and matches well with how I presented myself in the AMCAS primary essays. I posted my current "applied-to" list above (Submitted AMCAS Primary 7/13/14) and was pondering adding Loyola, Rush, Rochester, and Oakland Beaumont.

Two final questions: Do you think my GPA will make up for my somewhat-low MCAT score? And will my lack of medical/clinical volunteer experience (even though I've gotten involved in community volunteerism and research) seriously hurt my application?

Thank you!

And also, best of luck to you as well!

Have you submitted your primary yet? And have you considered retaking? I am on the fence, but 29 was what I average through 3-4 Kaplans and 3-4 AAMC exams.

Goro suggests:

Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
PCOM
LECOM
NYMC
WVU
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Wake Forest
Tufts
NYCOM
Touro-NY
VCU
EVMS
VCOM

Goro suggests:

Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
PCOM
LECOM
NYMC
WVU
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Wake Forest
Tufts
NYCOM
Touro-NY
VCU
EVMS
VCOM

Goro, do you really believe sending an app to Tufts and Wake is worth it? I threw the idea back and forth, but decided against it because of my MCAT score. I'm still debating on whether or not I should retake it. My 29 was around my averages for the AAMC exams, but I could go back and dedicate more time to PS and some organic. Thoughts?

I am also applying to LECOM, PCOM, CCOM, and WVUCOM.

Thanks for your input!

Just double checked my MSAR

Scratch Tufts, but Wake has a floor of 28, so you're in shooting distance. However, their median MCAT score is 33. Tread with caution.

Goro, do you really believe sending an app to Tufts and Wake is worth it? I threw the idea back and forth, but decided against it because of my MCAT score. I'm still debating on whether or not I should retake it. My 29 was around my averages for the AAMC exams, but I could go back and dedicate more time to PS and some organic. Thoughts?

I am also applying to LECOM, PCOM, CCOM, and WVUCOM.

Thanks for your input!

And also, best of luck to you as well!

Have you submitted your primary yet? And have you considered retaking? I am on the fence, but 29 was what I average through 3-4 Kaplans and 3-4 AAMC exams.

I have considered retaking it but I've heard my stats are good enough to get into a US MD program, and that is my priority. I got anywhere between 29-33 on my practice tests so maybe if I put some solid work in I could get it up to mid-30s but I rather just apply and see where I can get in.

I have considered retaking it but I've heard my stats are good enough to get into a US MD program, and that is my priority. I got anywhere between 29-33 on my practice tests so maybe if I put some solid work in I could get it up to mid-30s but I rather just apply and see where I can get in.
That's kind of where I am at. I was averaging 29-30 solid, and at least didn't test lower than my average. So I'm thankful for that. I just believe putting more effort into secondaries and continuing to remain involved at my university through research etc. would benefit me more than an extra point or two. At least I hope!

Also, new update: Received secondaries from NYMC and GW. Filled out and submitted NYMC and currently working on the GW. Fingers crossed!