Padding or tricks to prevent N95 from ripping at your nose, face, ears?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tricks you guys using to prevent the discomfort from the N95? I saw this on Reddit:

He has something he puts on in the beginning... What is that and where can I get it? Hopefully, it doesn't cause an air leak though...

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I’ve been using a bandaid... kinda like in a breathing strip like pattern. Works like a charm and in fact I feel like I get a better seal :)!!

Reactions: 1 user
Here is the link. Not sure why it's not showing

F u sdn

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tricks you guys using to prevent the discomfort from the N95? I saw this on Reddit:

He has something he puts on in the beginning... What is that and where can I get it? Hopefully, it doesn't cause an air leak though...

As hoosier said, I'm also using a bandaid on the bridge of my nose. It's been helping somewhat.

+1111 for bandaid on the bridge of the nose. Also get your own reusable respirator with P100 rated filters. Much more comfortable than N95s.

Reactions: 1 users
No one here is wearing their own P100s, and I don't want to be the first.
+1111 for bandaid on the bridge of the nose. Also get your own reusable respirator with P100 rated filters. Much more comfortable than N95s.

Have you been doing this? How long have a set of filters been working for you?

No one here is wearing their own P100s, and I don't want to be the first.

Have you been doing this? How long have a set of filters been working for you?
I work alone so I don't really care. Plus my medical director bought a personal respirator.

A set of P100 filters should last for months. They are designed to use in dusty, dirty industrial environments. Not clean, filtered hospital air. I bought 8 pairs and I bet I won't even get halfway through that.

+1 on the P100. Much more comfortable AND I have the peace of mind of being able to test the seal every time I put it on simply by occluding the inflow valves. If nothing else it makes me feel better...

Do you wear it all shift? With N95 and surgical mask, I take 1-2 breaks out of the ED to eat/drink.
Not all shift. The nurses are about 15 feet away from me and this place is pretty slow so I take it down when I'm at my desk.

I do wear it in patient rooms 100% of the time. We haven't had anyone actively coughing in the ED today. We see URI symptoms in a separate area outside so they stay out of the ED. If we had a respiratory patient in here then I'd be wearing it much more continuously 2/2 potential aerosols.

Where did you buy yours and do you worry about trusting the quality? Online sources that I see show products made in China...

Where did you buy yours and do you worry about trusting the quality? Online sources that I see show products made in China...

I bought mine on eBay but you can also likely find them at paint supply stores, woodworking shops, places like that. I found the filters at a paint supply store. I bought a 3M brand respirator, I’m not worried about the quality. I have a feeling that all the respirators are made in China but at least this one is a reputable brand.

I went eBay and if these 3M P100 filters are fake they are the best ever. The labels, packaging, shrink quality look perfect. I went with a 99.7% rated seller. Also if you know any contractors or construction people have them hook you up.

I used to have to wear an N95/full face respirator for hours at my last industrial job. Buy a roll of 1" athletic tape and put a strip on your nose/cheeks. Stick some cottonballs where the straps go over your ears and wrap those in some athletic tape to make some padding. It lasts a couple hours but if you sweat a lot you'll need to replace the tape more frequently since it stops being sticky.

What kind of respirator are you wearing on your shift? I have one with p100 filters as well, however, mine is a Honeywell 7600 which is a full face shield as well. Great if I don't have access to one of our PAPRs for some reason but otherwise it's pretty overkill. Can't imagine wearing it for the entire shift.

What kind of respirator are you wearing on your shift? I have one with p100 filters as well, however, mine is a Honeywell 7600 which is a full face shield as well. Great if I don't have access to one of our PAPRs for some reason but otherwise it's pretty overkill. Can't imagine wearing it for the entire shift.

I bought a half face model that I wear most of the time. 3M 7502. I also bought a full-face respirator (3M 6800) for when **** goes down and I have to get up-close and personal (intubation or doing IJ central lines, something really nasty) - it's comforting having full-face protection with that one. We don't have PAPRs so this is the best I can get at the moment. I didn't feel like spending $1800-2000 to buy my own PAPR.

I wear my P100 in every room that I'm not intubating in.
I wear the full facemask in that room (or any aerosol room).

I wear the surgical mask at the nurse's station.

Reactions: 1 users