Paid pre-vet internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that the internship I was looking at for next summer (at KESMARC in Kentucky) is, unfortunately, not paid - and I need to make money. So, does anyone know of pre-vet internships that are paid? I would preferably like to work with horses and/or other large animals. I have already worked for a summer at a small animal clinic and I'd like a new experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find an internship (especially for pre-vets/undergrads) that is paid. I've perused many an animal internship and can't think of one off the top of my head that is paid. A few will provide at least a small stipend for food, or allow on-site housing, but I'd say those are in the minority.

I'll double check and see if I can't find one of my "saved" internships that fits your criteria.

EDIT: So, I have some time to kill, and was googling for more equine related things as most of the internships that I've looked into have been more exotic/aquatic/wildlife and I came across this site:
http://equinescholars.georgetowncollege.edu/opportunities.htm#internships
Now, I know it's specific to that particular college program, but you might have some luck contacting the clinics directly and seeing if you could still do an internship there.
A lot of other equine related clinics etc. seem to have internships exclusive to just-graduated veterinarians, but similarly, you may have some luck just trying to contact different clinics and see what opportunities may arise.
OR aim for something more part-time, and get a job on the side.

Sorry I'm not more useful, trust me I understand the struggles of trying to find internships but not go broke! Good luck.

Last edited:
Also, I know that at my school, it was possible to get a grant or stipend of some sort if you wanted to do "research" or an internship or something. You had to apply for it, but it was very possible to get. It might take some serious digging and talking to a ton of different people, but you might want to see if that is available at your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, also, Days End Horse Farm (a horse rescue in Lisbon, MD) provides an internship program every year. You stay for a few weeks and help with everything from education and mucking out stalls to assisting with emergencies and impounds. They have a place to stay on-site and they do give a small stipend for living expenses. It's only $75/week (so basically, it's food), but this is a private rescue organization so they aren't exactly loaded with cash to hand out.

If you're interested, you can check here:
http://www.defhr.org/pdf/Internship Packet and Application Website.pdf

Hi all,
I see this hasn't had a post in a while so I am wondering if we can reopen the discussion about paid internships.
I would like to throw another challenge...I want the internship/co-op to be in Latin America or Spain.
I have been searching far and wide and here's what I've come up with so far:

• Organization for Tropical Studies in Costa Rica(some animals involved...more ecology)
  • Join the MARMAM list-serve...many internships/research assistant opportunities.
I did apply for the NIH Summer Program and other in-country opportunities (where there is more funding.)

Does anyone else have any recent findings?
Thanks!

A lot of the stuff on Marmam requires specific skills/classes before application. You could also try the Ecolog-L list, which does a lot of ecology stuff. Hands on animals, generally under a PhD. Occasional stipends.