Paid Volunteer medical experience abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylinus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a repeat question but was unable to find any information specific to my dilemma. I am posting to this site bc Family medicine is my focus.

I graduated from a US medical school in 2013 and applied to residencies for the 2014 match. I did not get any positions offered. I am going to continue to preserve and apply again next year with the Step three completed to increase my chances of a residency. I am an untraditional student and need to make money to support my family this year. I have no parental or financial support outside of my husband and myself.

I would like to do something medical this year but becoming a medical assistant will not allow me to practice my skills as a emerging physician. I have heard there are opportunities for paid work abroad under the wing of an international doctor and gain some really useful experience.

I considered the Peace Core, Mercy core, And doctors without borders. The Peace core is too long of a commitment, while Mercy core has no positions for an MD without clinical experience. I am hoping Doctors without borders will have some advice but have not contacted them yet.

Please let me know any useful advice to make money this year while using my skills as a new MD.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Doctors Without Borders will only accept people with at least 2 years of professional experience - for doctors, residency counts, but they do not have positions for people directly out of medical school.