Paid vs. Unpaid research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kunals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two research opportunities both are in the same exact line of research but one is paid and one is unpaid. the unpaid one is under a faculty memeber in the bio dept. that i have had one class with but havnt had much contact with(some minor questions during that class). The paid one is under a faculty member that is in the pharmacy department.

My question is in this scenario is the paid one looked down upon if you have a volunteer offer similar to the paid one?

Also does the paid one become a job experience on the amcas or research?

And for lor does a faculty member you had a class with and did research with look better than some faculty member i just did research with?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If your going to be given the same opportunities with the two research, go with the paid one.

No one will think your any better if you act as free labor opposed to getting compensated for your work.

If your going to be given the same opportunities with the two research, go with the paid one.

No one will think your any better if you act as free labor opposed to getting compensated for your work.
Agreed.

Although if you will have the opportunity to publish/have your own project/analyze data in the unpaid opportunity and not in the paid opportunity, I'd probably take the unpaid opportunity if you don't need money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make it very clear that you want to be considered a student (even if you are being paid). Lab technicians generally do not receive authorship in publications/abstracts. Their recognition is in the acknowledgments section.

You actually gonna do something and not just clean the petri dishes? If so, then take the paid position. Also...be aware that if you are entering a new environment with no previous relationships between any of the current lab members, you will have more pressure to perform well, even if it's minimum wage.

And for lor does a faculty member you had a class with and did research with look better than some faculty member i just did research with?

Thanks

1) List it as either. It doesn't matter. If it ends up being a particularly fruitful research experience, then I would list it as research.

2) Get a letter from individuals that know you well and will write you a strong letter.

Agreed.

Although if you will have the opportunity to publish/have your own project/analyze data in the unpaid opportunity and not in the paid opportunity, I'd probably take the unpaid opportunity if you don't need money.

im not really sure if this will end in a publication i will have to look farther into it.

You actually gonna do something and not just clean the petri dishes? If so, then take the paid position. Also...be aware that if you are entering a new environment with no previous relationships between any of the current lab members, you will have more pressure to perform well, even if it's minimum wage.

This is the description of the research:
Biomedical Research to study the neurobiology of chronic pain and analgesic drugs. Assist in behavioral pharmacology research experiments. Perform experiments involving laboratory rodents. Techniques include: surgery; drug administration; behavioral assessment of analgesia, hyperalgesia, and other signs of drug effects; aldehyde perfusion and dissection. Assist with small orders, clean-up, restocking, data entry, and animal inventory

At my university, if it's unpaid you can get compensated in course credits. I find those more valuable, since the BIOL designation on them does wonders for a science GPA.

At my university, if it's unpaid you can get compensated in course credits. I find those more valuable, since the BIOL designation on them does wonders for a science GPA.

I didnt really think about that, i need to find out if i can get credit that does sound more valuable.

I didnt really think about that, i need to find out if i can get credit that does sound more valuable.
Yeah but the credit is only for that first year. After that you no longer recieve that easy "A".:(

How so? Isn't this dependent on your undergraduate school?
Yeah you're right. But this has been the case for me and many of my friends at different university. It sounded too good to be true since you it's basically a guaranteed "A" and it was.(but still nice) If it is different at any other school I truely envy your soul.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is in this scenario is the paid one looked down upon if you have a volunteer offer similar to the paid one?

getting paid for research isn't looked down on. and even if you were to choose the volunteer research position, you would most likely put it under research (not volunteer experience) on your amcas.

i'd also like to know where to put paid research. I am currently doing research as a job (private company) and research for credit (biology department)

pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Yeah you're right. But this has been the case for me and many of my friends at different university. It sounded too good to be true since you it's basically a guaranteed "A" and it was.(but still nice) If it is different at any other school I truely envy your soul.

Yup. Most of the schools I know give A's out like candy for as long as you're involved (some departments limit the number of times it can be taken for credit).

Yeah but the credit is only for that first year. After that you no longer recieve that easy "A".:(

That's not how it worked at my university. You can receive credits for how ever many years you like (you can choose 1-5 units, depending on your time commitment). And for most labs, as long as you're dependable, show up on time, and do what you're asked, you'll most likely get an A. But I've heard at some labs, an A is really hard to get.

When I was in college, I did a lot of unpaid research for units. But I was a transfer student, so I had a LOT if units (way more than I needed to graduate) and I had a high GPA. So I really could've used the money than the units/grades in my case. Unfortunately I never found any paid lab positions while in college, so I did both unpaid research for 15 hours per week and a retail night job for 15 hours per week, which was not fun. I would've much rather did ONE paid research activity for 15-20 hours per week!

So it depends on whether you need the money or the units more. But as others have pointed out, the potential to get published should also be considered. This will be highly dependent on the PI. In one of the unpaid research positions I had in college, the PI never gives authorship to undergrads. However, I worked as a lab tech in a different lab after college for a few years and got a few publications. But usually lab techs aren't offered authorship. So it really depends on the lab you join.

Last edited:
Go talk to each faculty member about specifics. You want to maximize your chances to be a significant contributor so you have a chance at gaining co-authorship. You should make this a meaningful experience, secure a LOR, and try to publish/present. Also, stick with the same lab throughout your premed and in my opinion you should not do it for course credit.

Yup. Most of the schools I know give A's out like candy for as long as you're involved (some departments limit the number of times it can be taken for credit).

You guys are lucky. My school only gives Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (Pass/Fail), which does not count towards any GPA calculation.

In my experience there is no difference in resume in unpaid versus paid, it's more about published results and connections that come from the job. It's better to take the position that's more relevant to where you want to end up, speciality-wise.

Dear god you guys are lucky! I will be doing research for 16 hrs a week and that A will only go for that year.:( Gota take what I can get...

How would they EVER know that you took a paid position over an unpaid position? Paranoid premed is paranoid

I would just do the one that sounds more interesting if it provides a better opportunity. Though if money is an issue for you, the choice is obvious.

How would they EVER know that you took a paid position over an unpaid position? Paranoid premed is paranoid

sorry about that i was more referring to the amcas where with the paid one didnt know if i would have to list it as a job experience or not. And was wondering if the research as a job looked different than the research as more of a volunteer one or a "passion" for it.

The way I look at it, in a paid position, you are actually valuable enough to be compensated. In the unpaid position, you are not.

I see what you're trying to get at, but the logic of doing something for free showing more passion-- well, that's very odd logic that sort of misses the point. The Adcoms are not going to care if the research's paid or not. If anything, being paid means someone considers you worth paying.