PALS Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, do we need to be PALS certified for first year residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your program director. Some places expect you to have ACLS/PALS certifications when you walk in the door, others will include it as part of your orientation or at some point early in residency.

if you have the option of APLS instead of pals it is a much better course.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's really dependent on the program. our FP residents do acls/atls/pals/also/nrp.

But all Family Medicine programs require inpatient pediatrics, do they not cabinbuilder?

At my Family Medicine program, we did BLS, ACLS, PALS, ALSO, and the neonatal one. Our program offered them all during orientation. But, we had to take refresher courses every 2 years.

But all Family Medicine programs require inpatient pediatrics, do they not cabinbuilder?

At my Family Medicine program, we did BLS, ACLS, PALS, ALSO, and the neonatal one. Our program offered them all during orientation. But, we had to take refresher courses every 2 years.
Apparently not since I did not do any inpatient peds nor did I ever do OB in residency with 2 weeks NICU and never touched a baby. Mine was super IM heavy and procedure heavy.

FWIW my program is requiring BLS, ACLS. and PALS ... and offering all three during orientation... but like others have said, pretty sure it's program specific

You didn't do any OB in a Family Medicine residency?? How is that even possible? The AOA and ACGME require it. Here are the AOA Family Medicine program guidelines:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...y-training-in-osteopathic-family-practice.pdf
Well, lets put it this way. When I started our program had an "OB" rotation intern year that consisted of us getting paged to help with C-section assists only. So I assisted with about 8 C-Sections. After that the program director changed and a "real" OB rotation was created that included inpatient rounds on L &D and delivering babies. That happened when I was second year and missed the OB rotation. My senior year I did 3 months planned parenthood and one month in the GYN office doing pelvics. Not much teaching there. Don't blame me, it just happened that way. I could care less about OB anyway so it wasn't a loss to me.

Just like with "JustPlainBill" he came out of FP residency never doing a cast or a splint or learning to suture much, or taking lesions off, etc. Now how is THAT possible?