Pandemic complications on med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gele021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm doing most of my volunteering this school year (2019-2020). Problem is, with the pandemic, the hospital I volunteer at has suspended volunteering for the time being and I have no clue when that will resume. I was planning on volunteering until June, which would have put me over 150+ clinical volunteering hours. Currently, I only have 50 hours of clinical volunteering. However, I'll still have 150+ hours of nonclinical volunteering. I'm hoping that once things resume, I can get my shadowing hours to 60+. However, I'm really worried about my clinical volunteering because I won't be volunteering for two to three months, which I was relying on to get those hours. Should I consider taking a gap year now instead of waiting until the hospitals start allowing volunteering again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
... because you're missing a few months of volunteer work d/t a pandemic? no haha. Just project hours for the coming year and say "due to covid-19 I wasn't able to volunteer from X/2020-to Y/2020 but plan on continuing"

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, so I'm doing most of my volunteering this school year (2019-2020). Problem is, with the pandemic, the hospital I volunteer at has suspended volunteering for the time being and I have no clue when that will resume. I was planning on volunteering until June, which would have put me over 150+ clinical volunteering hours. Currently, I only have 50 hours of clinical volunteering. However, I'll still have 150+ hours of nonclinical volunteering. I'm hoping that once things resume, I can get my shadowing hours to 60+. However, I'm really worried about my clinical volunteering because I won't be volunteering for two to three months, which I was relying on to get those hours. Should I consider taking a gap year now instead of waiting until the hospitals start allowing volunteering again?

There is MUCH you can do to be useful in settings where your lack of medical training won't make you a danger to yourself and others. Think outside the box and look for other opportunities. Bringing meals to the elderly would be especially useful.

Reactions: 6 users
Can you volunteer at a pandemic hotline?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user