Parents are a creating a dilemma for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AlbinoHawk, fine, I agree that courses in medical school are harder than the pre-requisites that premeds have to take. But the medical school as an institution does not want to weed you out because they have a vested interest in your education. However, that is not the case in undergrad. At my school, they have designed the pre-med courses in a way that is meant to weed out the premeds. The attrition rate in these pre-requisite courses is extremely high, and the test averages in these courses are around 50 after the curve. This kind of attrition rate reminds me of the Caribbean. At least, when you are in medical school, you can safely assume that you will most likely become a physician at the end if you work hard, do well on the boards and don't break any laws. But getting into medical school as a premed is such a crapshoot nowadays that I cannot safely assume that I will most likely get into a medical school even if I work hard, do well on the MCAT and don't break any laws. Just think about this. There are literally tens of thousands of applicants for a few hundred seats in DO schools. However, there is an almost one to one ratio between the number of American medical students and the number of residencies. So, when I talk about the psychological disadvantage of being a premed, this is what I mean. Medical school might be very difficult in terms of academic rigor but being a premed in my college is not piece of cake either. Also, don't ever talk to me like that again. Just because I might be ignorant about some things does not mean that you deserve to talk down to me. I have decided that I need to stop taking **** from people, and I am going to start with you. So, if you are going to post on my thread, you need to keep it civil.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that this is a troll thread, then don't bother posting here. On a different note, the medical school as an institution does not want to weed out the students because they have a vested interest in their students' education. However, that is not the case in undergrad. At my school, they have designed the pre-med courses in a way that is meant to weed out the premeds. The attrition rate in these pre-requisite courses is extremely high, and the test averages in these courses are around 50 after the curve. This kind of attrition rate reminds me of the Caribbean. At least, when you are in medical school, you can safely assume that you will most likely become a physician at the end if you work hard, do well on the boards and don't break any laws. But getting into medical school as a premed is such a crapshoot nowadays that I cannot safely assume that I will most likely get into a medical school even if I work hard, do well on the MCAT and don't break any laws. Just think about this. There are literally tens of thousands of applicants for a few hundred seats in DO schools. However, there is an almost one to one ratio between the number of American medical students and the number of residencies. So, when I talk about the psychological disadvantage of being a premed, this is what I mean.

You know you could take both organic I and II at a community college and just get an A there if you are that scared of your school. Then you could come back and do Biochemistry slower later. There is more than one university out there. If you really feel your school is making it that hard for you find another. There are tons of schools out there. I even ended up taking ORGO 1 And 2 at a CC (becuase I was done with my Bachelors and it was cheaper). Just food for thought there.

Members don't see this ad :)
HandsomeRob, I talked about taking Organic Chemistry I & II at the local community college with my parents. And they told me that I need to man up and take everything at my undergraduate institution. My parents think that they think that taking the prerequisites at a community is "taking the easy way out", which will raise red flags to adcoms. I think they are full of horse**** because many people including yourself have been accepted into DO schools after taking some prerequisites at a community college. But honestly, after hearing how difficult classes are in medical school compared to the science pre-requisites in undergrad, I have told myself that I am going to do well in Organic Chemistry I & II at my college no matter how brutal or difficult they are because the classes in medical school are not going to get any easier or less challenging.

HandsomeRob, I talked about taking Organic Chemistry I & II at the local community college with my parents. And they told me that I need to man up and take everything at my undergraduate institution. My parents think that they think that taking the prerequisites at a community is "taking the easy way out", which will raise red flags to adcoms. I think they are full of horse**** because many people including yourself have been accepted into DO schools after taking some prerequisites at a community college. But honestly, after hearing how difficult classes are in medical school compared to the science pre-requisites in undergrad, I have told myself that I am going to do well in Organic Chemistry I & II at my college no matter how brutal or difficult they are because the classes in medical school are not going to get any easier or less challenging.
Is there no other university in your town? Even if CC isnt an option, surely you have others. Don't be dumb about professors, if your schools professors suck, no one will care, they only see the grade. Go somewhere with a better teacher and get an A there.

I mean your situation and mine are different, but I would never insist on taking a class with a professor that I thought was out to get me, unless I had too.

There's also always the possibility that you should consider an alternate career path. With the amount of fuss you've put on about the "rigors" of acing pre-reqs, your vehemence towards requiring bachelor's degrees, and your responses towards adversity of any degree, it might not be a terrible idea to consider pursuing something else. I'm sure a lot of us (including myself) have at one point considered another career.

Reactions: 1 users
I live in Delaware which is really small state. And the only school that offers Organic Chemistry I & II with labs is the University of Delaware which is my undergraduate institution. So, if I want to take Organic Chemistry I & II with labs at a different university, I would have to take them at a school in a neighboring state like Maryland or Pennsylvania, which means I would to pay out of state tuition for those courses. And my parents are not willing to pay for tuition anywhere besides the University of Delaware. So, I might as well just take Organic Chemistry I & II with labs at the University of Delaware and do my best. If I am honest to myself, work hard, do a lot of practice problems, go to my professor's office hours, it will not be impossible to get A's in those courses. As Napoleon once said, " Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools".

Dellprecision, and you don't think I have considered alternate career paths? I have shadowed plastic surgeons, radiologists, dermatologists, oral surgeons, dentists, lawyers, optometrists, pharmacists, accountants etc. None of them appeal to me. The only thing that appeals to me is primary care. And the only way I can become a primary care physician is by getting through college, prerequisites, MCAT, and medical school. If the process to becoming a primary care physician will be difficult, then so be it. I don't just give up on my goals no matter difficult the path might be. In the future, I will be a 30 year old man either way. I would rather be a 30 year old primary care physician than be a 30 year old (insert some other career here).

So, dellprecision, if you cannot help me in my goal of becoming a primary care physician, then please don't bother wasting space here.

Have you considered nursing then? If you're big on primary care and that's what you want to do then go get an RN, BSN and work in a primary care practice doing what you like.

But honestly when it comes down to it you likely need to go see a therapist about self esteem issues and other things. It seems like as a whole you're afraid of taking a heavy load or being put in a position that could make you fall further into your brother's shadow.

My opinion is sincerely think about whether medical school is truly what you want, whether you can tolerate it, or whether or not something like nursing where you will be able to work in the same environment that you claim to like is adequate.

In either case there's no validation of spending 2 years part time taking 1 class at a time. Furthermore you likely don't need biochemistry 2. If biochem 1 doesn't cover metabolism, then just spend a month staring at krebs and glycolysis pathway and rewriting down the mechanism.

Take organic 1 over the summer. Take organic 2 over the fall while studying for the Mcat ( totally doable). Take biochem 1 in the spring and apply in summer. You'll have a gap year and I do recommend you find something to do with your life during that time.

But that's genuinely the best way it can go. Either you acknowledge that you won't be young forever or you start thinking about what you really want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry if my posts came off as rude (was not my intention other than the post where I questioned whether or not you were sincere, which I'm convinced of now), but I'm also a little curious about what the nature of this thread was intended to be. Were you looking for advice or input from other people who have faced what you are about to face, or were you simply looking for people to tell you that your parents are out of line, and that you should take as many years to finish undergrad as you'd like? Because we've all given you our honest input (albeit with varying degrees of snideness), so I suspect that you created this thread hoping to find sympathy instead of help. In which case, all I can say is "There, there. There, there."

Serenade, I have shadowed Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and CRNAs. Those careers DID NOT APPEAL to me at all. I am currently shadowing two internal medicine physicians, and I enjoy every minute of it. So, I know for a fact that the only thing that I will enjoy doing with my life is primary care. And as I have said before, I am not going to give up on my career goal even though the journey will be long and full of obstacles. And I won't be able to take Organic Chemistry over the summer because I will be taking Psychology, Sociology, Bacteriology, and Virology over the summer.

dellprecision, my goal in life is to become a primary care physician, and primary care is the only thing I enjoy. So, I am going to man up and get through what I need to do in order to accomplish my career goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be off topic but OP I had the other Asian parents (opposite side of the continent). Like you they expected too much and always compared me to other asians and their kids who made it to a certain school and became a doctor. I of course had the "luxury" of getting all my college fees paid off with scholarships and federal aid coming out of high school with a 3.0 gpa (it was a 3.6 to colleges because I took lots of APs).

My parents expected me to do nothing but study my ass of and get into the medical school like everyone else's kids got into and become a "surgeon" lol. You can imagine the shock I gave them when I made C's in O-chem, Biochem I, and genetics. By the end of sophomore year I had managed to get a 3.0 sGPA. This is also when I considered alternative fields as I had become morally depressed with business, I wanted to do something useful and morally rewarding in life, so I started volunteering in the ER. The rest is history, I fell in love with the medicine (so much that I would spend every Friday and Saturday 8pm -12 a.m. volunteering) and then when I took biochem (I made a C) and realized that this stuff can help treat people it was like my mind opened up. Now it wasn't about taking classes to get A's, or get into medical school, or to keep my parents happy, it was purely curiosity.

After my junior semester (volunteering 5 months) and taking biochem I and realizing the usefulness of the material my curiosity skyrocketed. I just piled on all the science classes for the next three semesters. After this amazing moment in my life, I didn't care about grades, I studied because I enjoyed it and I made all A's because I loved learning the material and I developed strong relationships with my professors because they loved the questions I asked.

I felt sorry for the premeds in my class and in my lab because all they cared about was getting an A and getting into medical school. I tried my best to convince them that its more important to learn and enjoy the material rather than seek grades. My PI and my other professors realized this, and so I had no difficulty getting 'outstanding" recommendations for medical school. In one situation I simply dropped the word recommendation and the professor just came out of nowhere and said "I would be honored to write you a strong LOR." I didn't even have to ask, I simple dropped the word.

OP, take a deep look inside and ask yourself why you want to do medicine? Do you enjoy the science?

Right now I am in my gap year and have been accepted to medical school for the fall. In my free time I am reading my medical school's pharmacology book not only because it pertains to my current job (pain management) but also because it is so dam interesting!

I wonder why you majored in art history. OP if you truly love medicine and the science you will become a doctor and it will show to adcoms, it not it will be a tough road.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you considered nursing then? If you're big on primary care and that's what you want to do then go get an RN, BSN and work in a primary care practice doing what you like.

But honestly when it comes down to it you likely need to go see a therapist about self esteem issues and other things. It seems like as a whole you're afraid of taking a heavy load or being put in a position that could make you fall further into your brother's shadow.

My opinion is sincerely think about whether medical school is truly what you want, whether you can tolerate it, or whether or not something like nursing where you will be able to work in the same environment that you claim to like is adequate.

In either case there's no validation of spending 2 years part time taking 1 class at a time. Furthermore you likely don't need biochemistry 2. If biochem 1 doesn't cover metabolism, then just spend a month staring at krebs and glycolysis pathway and rewriting down the mechanism.

Take organic 1 over the summer. Take organic 2 over the fall while studying for the Mcat ( totally doable). Take biochem 1 in the spring and apply in summer. You'll have a gap year and I do recommend you find something to do with your life during that time.

But that's genuinely the best way it can go. Either you acknowledge that you won't be young forever or you start thinking about what you really want to do.
Being a nurse, I am going to say that I don't think this (going to nursing school) is a good idea for the OP. With a BSN primary care is not an option. Maybe with an LPN (cause then your cheaper). And of course if you goto Family Nurse Practice, you can do primary care, but that route will take a while too, and the job prospects are bad (look up NP can't find job, you will see mountains of threads of people who get no jobs or have terrible offers).

Nursing is saturated for real, and OP's parents will probably disown him for making that change.

I am not sure if any of us can help you delaware, you don't seem to want advice. You want us to agree with your plan, and quite frankly all of us think you should be applying for 2016 cycle. If you are really determined to be a doctor, and can't see yourself doing anything else, you need to act like it, and try to do what you can to get in as soon as reasonably possible.

If it seems like everyone is being unreasonable, then you are just going to have to deal with it, thats life, this is the expectation for a physician. You want to be a DO, you need to met certain expectations that most other people have. Your plan just doesn't do it. It makes you look like a kid who has no chance of standing the rigors of medical school and needs everything *really* slow to succeed. Honestly, your parents plan would make you much more likely to get in, even if you got B's in half the classes than your plan. At least you would have taken tough course loads and looked like you were eager to become a DO.

Last edited:
You will work twice as hard as you did to get As in a full-time undergraduate science degree to just skate by in medical school with a 70, op. I'd challenge yourself as much as you can- take physics, bio, and chem in the same semester then orgo and biochem either over the summer or in the next semester if you can. If you think the "stress of undergrad" is worse than the "stress of a medical student" you are in for a rude awakening. The MCAT was a pleasant cakewalk compared to block week, and the stress of failure is enormous when you've got hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt versus the paltry debt of undergraduate as a price of failure.

Good luck, in any case. Just be aware that no number of stories can prepare you for what you will experience after you matriculate, and no undergraduate course load will give you any feel for what you are in for.

Being a nurse, I am going to say that I don't think this (going to nursing school) is a good idea for the OP. With a BSN primary care is not an option. Maybe with an LPN (cause then your cheaper). And of course if you goto Family Nurse Practice, you can do primary care, but that route will take a while too, and the job prospects are bad (look up NP can't find job, you will see mountains of threads of people who get no jobs or have terrible offers).

Nursing is saturated for real, and OP's parents will probably disown him for making that change.

I am not sure if any of us can help you delaware, you don't seem to want advice. You want us to agree with your plan, and quite frankly all of us think you should be applying for 2016 cycle. If you are really determined to be a doctor, and can't see yourself doing anything else, you need to act like it, and try to do what you can to get in as soon as reasonably possible.

If it seems like everyone is being unreasonable, then you are just going to have to deal with it, thats life, this is the expectation for a physician. You want to be a DO, you need to met certain expectations that most other people have. Your plan just doesn't do it. It makes you look like a kid who has no chance of standing the rigors of medical school and needs everything *really* slow to succeed. Your parents plan would make you much more likely to get in, even if you got B's in half the classes. At least you would have taken tough course loads and looked like you were eager to become a DO.

Idk, the OP has been here for a long time. It's almost entirely clear he really isn't into it and it's clear that most of the time he's genuinely stuck in his own perspective and world. He came here wanting to be told that he's making the correct choice and that also his life might end up being better once he's in medical school.

Regarding nursing school. Well I'm not doubtful the OP if he wanted it could be done in 2 years. Hell, I know plenty who finish up all 3, RN,BSN,MSN(?) in 2 years. And idk, every primary care physician needs a nurse... or two. There is a degree of oversaturation, but chances are it could still work out.

MadJack, there is no need for me to take Physics anymore because I already took Physics I & II and did very well in them. And at my school, I cannot take Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry at the same time because the former is the pre-requisite for the latter.

Serenade, nursing is a great career. But I have shadowed nurses, and I cannot see myself being a nurse. So, please stop suggesting that route. What part of "I am not interested in anything besides internal medicine" don't you get?

Idk, the OP has been here for a long time. It's almost entirely clear he really isn't into it and it's clear that most of the time he's genuinely stuck in his own perspective and world. He came here wanting to be told that he's making the correct choice and that also his life might end up being better once he's in medical school.

Regarding nursing school. Well I'm not doubtful the OP if he wanted it could be done in 2 years. Hell, I know plenty who finish up all 3, RN,BSN,MSN(?) in 2 years. And idk, every primary care physician needs a nurse... or two. There is a degree of oversaturation, but chances are it could still work out.
Physicians mostly hire MA's or LPN's. They don't need BSN's. I remember offering to work for $17 a hour for a office job long ago, and not being talked to again. The going wage for GN's (New grad nurses) was $21.00 at the time. Physicians know they can get away with hiring MA's and LPN for 10-14 an hour here, so they will not take even a *cheaply* priced RN/BSN. FNP's usually get offers of around 65k out of school, if they get offers (offers greater than that are becoming more and more rare). Its just not a upward trajectory. We argue about nurses getting independent practice, but 99% of nurses have no interest in starting their own practice. They want to work 3 days a week and be done, just like they do in the hospital.

So yes, physicians need some nurses, but not a lot.

Serenade, I have shadowed Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and CRNAs. Those careers DID NOT APPEAL to me at all. I am currently shadowing two internal medicine physicians, and I enjoy every minute of it. So, I know for a fact that the only thing that I will enjoy doing with my life is primary care. And as I have said before, I am not going to give up on my career goal even though the journey will be long and full of obstacles. And I won't be able to take Organic Chemistry over the summer because I will be taking Psychology, Sociology, Bacteriology, and Virology over the summer.

Why the hell are you taking bacteriology and virology? Jesus man, your schedule makes no sense to me. Also take psych & soc during the semesters. They're legit easy classes and you shouldn't in theory struggle with them even if you were to dedicate 10 hours a day to mcat studying.

No seriously why bother taking upper level courses like that if they aren't required for your major? Go take something like genetics or micro that will directly allow you to increase your mcat score...

Why the hell are you taking bacteriology and virology? Jesus man, your schedule makes no sense to me. Also take psych & soc during the semesters. They're legit easy classes and you shouldn't in theory struggle with them even if you were to dedicate 10 hours a day to mcat studying.

No seriously why bother taking upper level courses like that if they aren't required for your major? Go take something like genetics or micro that will directly allow you to increase your mcat score...
Wow after seeing what was originally in that post, I don't think we can be helpful anymore. OP your schedule is dumb. Listen to serenade and everyone else.

Wow after seeing what was originally in that post, I don't think we can be helpful anymore. OP your schedule is dumb. Listen to serenade and everyone else.

Dumb? That's an understatement. It's based on an entirely warped basis of reality. You're taking 2 upper level hard classes over the summer that are largely unnecessary because they won't help advance your chances of doing better on the mcat and you're taking them over the summer with two other classes with a crap ton of writing assignments.

OP literally wants to make his summer a flaming hell and then spend the next two years chilling it up preping for the mcat at a meager pace? Honestly it makes no sense and there is no rationalization that can make it make sense. OP needs a reality check and to recognize that they're not making the right choices here. He needs to sit down, finish the pre-reqs, take a few or high yield mcat classes like cell biology ( Talks a crap ton about metabolism and mcat heavy topics like methods) and to study hard for 3-4 months.

Bottom line. Op is gonna do what he wants to do. Good luck with WHATEVER you decide my man. Just know that there is this route isn't for everybody and if you'd be better off realizing this earlier before you set yourself up in pit of despair by becoming older and realizing you chased something that wasn't meant to be.

AlbinoHawk, fine, I agree that courses in medical school are harder than the pre-requisites that premeds have to take. But the medical school as an institution does not want to weed you out because they have a vested interest in your education. However, that is not the case in undergrad. At my school, they have designed the pre-med courses in a way that is meant to weed out the premeds. The attrition rate in these pre-requisite courses is extremely high, and the test averages in these courses are around 50 after the curve. This kind of attrition rate reminds me of the Caribbean. At least, when you are in medical school, you can safely assume that you will most likely become a physician at the end if you work hard, do well on the boards and don't break any laws. But getting into medical school as a premed is such a crapshoot nowadays that I cannot safely assume that I will most likely get into a medical school even if I work hard, do well on the MCAT and don't break any laws. Just think about this. There are literally tens of thousands of applicants for a few hundred seats in DO schools. However, there is an almost one to one ratio between the number of American medical students and the number of residencies. So, when I talk about the psychological disadvantage of being a premed, this is what I mean. Medical school might be very difficult in terms of academic rigor but being a premed in my college is not piece of cake either. Also, don't ever talk to me like that again. Just because I might be ignorant about some things does not mean that you deserve to talk down to me. I have decided that I need to stop taking **** from people, and I am going to start with you. So, if you are going to post on my thread, you need to keep it civil.
Tell that to all the students that fail out of NYCOM every year. Their attrition rate is crazy high. Getting into medical school guarantees nothing, and you've got a lot more to lose on top of it.

People, I have to take Bacteriology and Virology in order to satisfy my Biology minor. And this is my summer schedule :
June 2015 - Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology
July 2015 - Bacteriology
August 2015 - Virology

People, I have to take Bacteriology and Virology in order to satisfy my Biology minor. And this is my summer schedule :
July 2015 - Bacteriology
August 2015 - Virology

I recommend you find other courses. I sincerely doubt a minor requires two specific courses like that. Take courses that will help you succeed on your mcat.

MadJack, I have heard about the NYCOM attrition rate. That is truly unfortunate. I mean if a US school has such a high attrition rate, then why the hell am I trying so hard to avoid the Caribbean?

July 2015 - Bacteriology
August 2015 - Virology
Dude that minor is way less important than getting your very slow timeline started. You need to let that minor go (or delay graduation). You need to be in orgo 1 at LEAST this summer. And seeing that you take classes for only a month at a time, I am now agreeing with your parents about Orgo 2 should be this summer also.

MadJack, I have heard about the NYCOM attrition rate. That is truly unfortunate. I mean if a US school has such a high attrition rate, then why the hell am I trying so hard to avoid the Caribbean?

~85% v.s <50%?

SGU is possibly an exception among the Caribbean schools. But the rest of the Caribbean schools are crap.

Here is an alternate plan for the summer.
June 2015 - Immunobiology
July 2015 - Medical Microbiology
August 2015 - Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology

If you don't want to be talked down to, maybe you shouldn't talk about med school as if you've attended and tell me you have a good understanding of how it is. You also shouldn't try explaining to me how being a premed works considering I've been through it to get to where I am.

Look, if your parents will tolerate your laziness and you want to give up a potential year of physician salary, go ahead. You're not doing yourself any favors. Wait until you get into med school and see the mountain of psychological distress you'll have to overcome. If you can't handle the stress of an undergrad class, you'll be crumbling when you get here.

Mastering Organic Chemistry I & II as well as Biochemistry I & II and then doing well on the MCAT is far more important to me right now. There is no need for me to even think about a physician's salary unless I have mastered those pre-requisite courses and done well on the MCAT so that I can first get accepted into a medical school. Pondering about losing a year's worth of physician salary is meaningless to me when I don't even have a medical school acceptance right now. And money is not that important to me anyway. Sure, I will need money to pay mortgage, buy food and other basic necessities etc. but to me money is just a piece of paper that comes and goes. The fact that I love internal medicine and the knowledge I will gain during this journey is much more important to me in this journey.

Mastering Psychology, Sociology, Organic Chemistry I & II as well as Biochemistry I & II and then applying the knowledge from those pre-requisite courses to do well on the MCAT is far more important to me right now. There is no need for me to even think about a physician's salary unless I have mastered those pre-requisite courses and done well on the MCAT so that I can first get accepted into a medical school. Pondering about losing a year's worth of physician salary is meaningless to me when I don't even have a medical school acceptance right now. And money is not that important to me anyway. Sure, I will need money to pay mortgage, buy food and other basic necessities etc. but to me money is just a piece of paper that comes and goes. The fact that I love internal medicine and the knowledge I will gain during this journey is much more important to me in this journey.

+pity+

/thread

let's all move on please

*unsubscribe*

Reactions: 3 users
What the hell is this thread. I dont even....

can i just ask the OP again what is the question that he needs answered? Im lost

Not even a Cliff Notes, Too Long Don't Read (TLDR?) version can condense this thread into a compact sentence.

I think this guy is either insane or a troll. He's ignoring many good advices here and continuing to stir things up. What's so hard of following instruction? Look at his plans for the summer, smh. :thinking:

Reactions: 2 users
kenjixshadow, I have never used those words to describe you. So, please don't use those words to describe me. On a different note, I just called my friend who took Organic Chemistry I & II at my school last summer. He had to retake both classes during the regular semesters. Also, I did not find a single good review about the summer orgo professor on ratemyprofessors. I also looked up the professor I am signed up for in the fall, and he seems to be tough but fair as far as tests and teaching are concerned.

Bro. Just study hard for every class you take from now on. I got Ds in O-chem cause I simply did not give a ****. When I actually studied and did endless practice problems and supplemented my studying with youtube stuff and online sources, I got As in both semesters and demolished the O-chem on my MCAT. Ace everything and take the MCAT when you're ready. Good luck.

On a different note, I just called my friend who took Organic Chemistry I & II at my school last summer. He had to retake both classes during the regular semesters. Also, I did not find a single good review about the summer orgo professor on ratemyprofessors. I also looked up the professor I am signed up for in the fall, and he seems to be tough but fair as far as tests and teaching are concerned.

So are you going to avoid any tough professor in med school too? How about rude physicians who constantly pimp you and make you feel worthless? Here's a hint, you can't and you will have to deal with them regardless.

DetectiveAlonzi, I am so apprehensive to jumping into orgo this summer because I already got a C minus in Orgo I last semester because I was too preoccupied with trying to ace Physics and Genetics. I am going to do a lot of practice problems when I take orgo next time.

Kenjixshadow, why would I make myself miserable by taking a tenured professor over the summer who doesn't give a **** about students' success and is too pre-occupied with her research when I know that I can another professor over the regular semester in whose I have a much higher chance of succeeding?

Here is an alternate plan for the summer.
June 2015 - Immunobiology
July 2015 - Medical Microbiology
August 2015 - Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology

I mean, it's still way too hard. But it's better than taking 2 utterly mcat useless courses. Immunobio at the very least will give you a strong background in methods and cell bio and micro is always good for some nuanced questions on bacterial genetics.

Serenade, people have been telling me that I am trying to avoid a rigorous schedule. So, I going to stick with that difficult summer plan . It might be difficult but I am much more confident with this plan than trying to take Organic Chemistry I & II over the summer. If my brother could get a 4.0 GPA, 42 MCAT, and a 260 USMLE Step 1 score, then there is absolutely no reason as to why I can't get A's in those four classes this summer.
I mean, it's still way too hard. But it's better than taking 2 utterly mcat useless courses. Immunobio at the very least will give you a strong background in methods and cell bio and micro is always good for some nuanced questions on bacterial genetics.

Serenade, people have been telling me that I am trying to avoid a rigorous schedule. So, I going to stick with that difficult summer plan . It might be difficult but I am much more confident with this plan than trying to take Organic Chemistry I & II over the summer. If my brother could get a 4.0 GPA, 42 MCAT, and a 260 USMLE Step 1 score, then there is absolutely no reason as to why I can't get A's in those four classes this summer.

Oh.... Does he also have a subway footlong to add to that?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.