parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by DW

but if you did, where would be get our daily fix of silvercholla's mom stories :(

yeah...this is fast becoming my favorite thread on sdn....silver, ur stories provide entertainment in these days while i try to cram for the mcats

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Come poeple. It is all because of misunderstanding. Talk to you parents more so they could understnad more and give good advice.

Last night I decided that I was going to sit down with my mom and explain to her the process that needs to happen in order for me to get into medical school. She listened quietly (that should have been my first clue) and then gave her feedback. Here's the last half of the conversation.

Mom: So you mean to tell me that three years is actually a short time.

Me: Exactly mother, I might be actually rushing the process too much

Mom: **Smiling knowingly** You know hon, you don't have to try and impress your father and I with the notion that you may or may not be over doing it. Between you and I, I think that we both know that the real story is that you will most likely be in school by next year.

***Best Pink Floyd Impression : Hello Hello Hello, Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me, Is there anyone at home?***

Me: Mother I'm not trying to lighten the blow or anything. It's the truth.

Mom: Of course it is dear.

***Hey mom, look a dragon... YES DEAR!!***

Me: Mother PLEASE LISTEN TO ME.... IT IS GOING TO TAKE THREE YEARS AT LEAST!!!!!!

Mom: Don't yell I can hear you. If it's going to take three years it's going to take three years. But don't you think we should go and shop for proper clothing for the first day of calss?

***WWWWWAAAAAAA!!!!****

Me: Good Night Mother.

Silver... Thanks for sharing your stories, they're really funny.

However, on this point, I have to side with your mom. I don't understand why you're taking three years to apply to medical school. I would be very confused and doubting if I had a kid of mine told me this. I would think "Ok, whatever.... she's just leading us on... or she's not serious." I'm not saying that's the case! However, I don't blame any parent for being confused by what you're doing.

Are you in college? How many years of college have you done? I just don't understand why it's going to take you three years to apply.

Because, honestly.... I don't get it either. Do you really need 3 years to pull up your grades? Unless you have like <2.6 I don't see why you need 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. silver, maybe you could give your mom the number of the dean of admissions at mount sinai, and have her rail on that person with all these questions everyday. He/she will eventually have to cave in a give you a spot.

but may i ask, why is it going to take at least 3 years to apply? you've finished college right? and you have EMT experience? your MCAT scores are old, so you could retake in a year right? I dont know, i'm curious about your situation.

dw

Hi Silver,
I am guessing that you finished school a few years ago? Now you
want to retake premed courses before you retake the mcat. Just as a reference, I finished my undergrad 3 years ago but just took the mcat this past april with no problem. I studied on my own for 3 monthes (no kaplan, etc) and did ok (10,11,11).

You need to feel comfortable in this process, but please do not think you need professors to learn the material.

Best of luck,
finney

looking at these posts................

are we as bad as your parents???

:laugh:

When I was in school a traumatic event happened that partially caused me to get grades that would make a cow sick. I left school and then returned to a CC to take courses. Once again Life interfered and I instead opened a Independet Record label. I got a 3.6 in CC while working ful time and running a business. Goto REAL HELP NEEDED

Anyway I have to retake the full gambit in order to make a decent showing. And that whole entire process is going to take three years. Something my mother knows. She knows about the noodle head years and was behind me all the way during that time and she is behind now.:love: SHE JUST DOESN"T LISTEN SOMETIMES:rolleyes:

Ok, cool... I get it now. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get in when you're ready!

Just so you guys don't think that all we talk about is school...

Me: Good Morning Money Transfer

Mom: Hi, did you feed the dogs?

Me: Last night???????

Mom: Of Course sweety, that's when they are fed aren't they?

***WHA????****

Me: Mom, I fed the dogs last night like I always do. Why are you calling me at work for this??

Mom: Well, I just thought that maybe you might have forgotten. But when you get home tonight why don't you feed them a little more than usual.

Me: Mom I am on the ambulance tonight.

Mom: Can't you just drive over and feed them. You know I don't like doing it and it would be so helpful if you can just help mom out tonight and feed the dogs.

Me: Mother the ambulance is not for personal use.

Mom: Well then what's the point of riding on an ambulance if you can't just swing by the house to something for your mother. I think that that's silly. You guys don't do as much as paramedics anyway.

***Now you knew she would segue back to this somehow, didn't you?***

Me: EMT's do just as much....

Mom: Listen dear I have to go. Stop by if you can. Love you bye

***Would I get caught if I went and bought a bottle of rum and hid it in my desk drawer***

Okay so that kind of ended back up to the usual... but we are talking about my mom.:laugh:

Originally posted by silvercholla

Mom: Well then what's the point of riding on an ambulance if you can't just swing by the house to something for your mother. ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

Conversation 3:30pm

Me: Yes Mother (Telecom finally put caller id on my phone. Does it phase her?....)

Mom: What are you doing??

***Didn't think so**

Me: Working, like most people do when they have a job.

Mom: Don't be rude.... When are you coming home?

Me: Not til very late, why?

Mom: Do you remember Uncle Frank?

***Oh Dear GOD!***

Caveat: Uncle Frank is not really an Uncle but a friend of the family that presumes himself to be an authority on everything.

***SAY NO!!!! NO, NO, WAIT, JUST HANG UP, QUICK!!!***

Me: Yes

***I told you to hang up***

Mom: Well, he just left a job where he was party to a friend who was on a committee at a medical school. And I invited him over so that you can talk to him. Maybe you can get out of the ambulance tonight.

***I LOVE THE AMBULANCE CORP!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!***

Me: Sorry mother I have people depending on me. It wouldn't be right to just cancel like that.

Mom: Oh, Well You should make more time to do the things that are important to me, like you getting into medical school! Don't you care about my happiness??? Well anyway be safe on the ambulance tonight dear, love you bye.

***Hey you, watch out for that guilt trap, ooo too late***

I was on vacation this past weekend at the beach with my parents. I'm going to copy silver's style in posting to describe my total embarrassment when I found my mom talking to some random older (late 70s) lady at the beach.

Mom (to random older lady): ...well, my daughter's an EMT, so if there's anything you need then just let her know.

*****if i turn around now, she won't see me*****

Mom: Oh hear she is!!

****damn****

Mom: This is our beach neighbor! She's in the condo below ours. Her husband had a heart attack last year-- did you hear about it?

Me:Don't think so.

*****b/c by virtue of being an emt, i know about every heart attack in every corner of the world?? why did i go on vacation??*****

Mom: Well I was just telling her that if her husband's heart gave him any more trouble while we were here, she could just run up the stairs and get you without having to call for an ambulance. (talking to Random Older Lady): She's very smart. SHe's going to med school next year.

*****AAAAHHHHH!!!! NOOOO!!!! THIS IS SO VERY WRONG*****

Random Older Lady: That's so nice of you dear. Where are you going to school? My grandson went to Harvard, do you know him?

****Listen lady, I'm sure you're very nice but I don't know you and I'm standing here in my bathing suit, and my mom is feeding you all kinds of WRONG information. I'm going home tonight.*****

Me: Uhhh, sorry, but I'm still applying and haven't been accepted anywhere yet, and please call an ambulance if your husband's not feeling well...

Mom: I raised you to respect your elders. You will help that man if he has another heart attack.

Me: I'll do what I can, but I don't carry all the necessary equipment with me all the time. An ambulance would be better.

Mom: How do you expect to be a good doctor by next year if you aren't willing to help your neighbor?

*****must. not. bury. parent. in. sand. or. feed. to. sharks.******

The funny thing is, my mother works at a major hospital...

Members don't see this ad :)
***In the Ambulance last night, treating a patient/prisoner, phone rings***

Me: Mother I can't talk now.

*** I love getting the first word in...hehehe***

Mom: Sweety Ms. Brenda, you know, from across the street? Well She says that her right arm is really tingly and

Me: MOM NOT NOW!!!! (As my patient starts spit and scream because he's tied down to the stretcher, which of course makes the stab wound in his leg even more bloody. I LOVE NY)(Hang up in mid sentence of her new rant)

***Call back 45mins later when we are finally 10-98)

Mom: (Chipper Voice) Hello

Me: Hi, what's up?

Mom: Oh, I don't want to bother you or anything. It can wait.

***Oh Crap***

Me: What is it mother, just tell me.

Mom: (Best hurt voice that can be mustered in short notice) It's nothing, I guess I have to get used to not seeing you or hearing from you. I guess that is what the life of a doctor's family is like. Well if that is what I must do then I am your mother and I love you and I will do it. Okay my dear talk to you later, bye.

***I wonder what would happen if I walked back to the hospital and went and lied down in the Psych ER??***

P.S. 10-98 means Available or in service

OMG, these stories are hilarious! silvercholla, your mom sounds too cute...seriously! :laugh: :laugh:

***Conversation, 5:00am***

Mom: Sweety, are you sleeping?

***Oh Look she's early***

Me: No, there's a little troll holding my face to the pillow.

Mom: Watch it.

Me: What is it mother.

Mom: Well there's a scholarship program that your Uncle Frank runs and he was wondering if you'd be interested in applying.

***This doesn't sound kosher***

Me: Uncle Frank runs a scholarship program?

Mom: Not exactly. His friend works at some school in New Jersey and she has a friend on the scholarship committee there. So are you interested

***UUUUUHHHH NOOOO!!!!***

Me: Uh, No.

Mom: Why not??!?!? It's a great opportunity.

***ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ***

Mom: You don't want to go to medical school do you? You're just trying to hurt my feelings and stress me out aren't you????

Me: Mother, you and I both know that Uncle Frank is just being Uncle Frank.

Mom: Oh... Well, At leas put some effort into things dear. You can't have this type of motivation in school.

***Door closes. Where's that troll***

**Wake up late for work, THANKS MOM!!!***

Hey guys... just to let you know that that was my last post for a little while. I got some bad news today and I need to step back. I won't be gone long I promise. Maybe some other people can give stories about their parents for a little while. Anyway later.

Silvercholla:(

I wish you the best silver while dealing with your situation.

we'll miss ya silver!

here's what happened to me today.

i have a custom ring on my phone for when different people call me. my phone rang with my mom's ring.

me: hello?
mom: hi
me: what's up?
mom: i have an envelope here from robert wood johnson medical school.
me: really? yes!
mom: can i...
me: yes you can open it
mom: okay. it says.....Dear Ms..... we have reviewed your application and would like to invite you for an interview..... (she continues to read the entire letter over the phone, as well as the three attachments that came with it.)
me: cool!
mom: that's good right?
me: yeah, that's the last step pretty much
mom: yeah, it didn't say, "hey we reviewed your application BUT..."
me: cool. thanks for letting me know, i've got to go.
mom: bye

i was talking to her in front of my bf and his parents, and they know nothing about the process....so i had to explain to them everything.
i'm super excited about my first interview!

2nd page??? that's unacceptable

bump!

congrats, smilez!!!

silver- we'll miss ya. hope all is going well with you!

Thought I'd pop my head in for a little bit. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the "feeling wells" Anyway, I have a lot to talk about with my mom and family but it will have to wait until either this afternoon or tomorrow. Things are looking up. Thanks again for the" heart warmings". See you soon.

Hey.... My mom saw me peepng in on you guys this morning. Didn't get to work until 10:30am here's her reaction...

Mom: What's that?

Me: A computer.

Mom: Don't be a smart A$$. I mean that...

***Me? Smart A$$? I must take after my mother***

Me: It's called SDN.

***(Mimicking voice) What's SDN? Why do I do this to myself?***

Mom: What's SDN?

Me: Student Doctor Network, mother.

Mom: (silence for a 60 secs) WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU GOT IN!!??? OH I AM SOOO PROUD!!!! OH WE HAVE TO CALL POEPLE GET OFF THE INTERNET!!! OH DEAR (as she hugs and slobbers me)

Me: mother... Mother... MOTHER!!!!! HHHHHEEEELLLLLOOOOO!!???

Mom: What is it Doctor?

***You'd think that by now I would learn to be careful what I say around her. I guess being sober is highly overrated. Blast AA!! Vive le vodka martini!!!***

Me: This is not verification that I got into anywhere. I haven't applied yet remember??? This is just a forum for people with similar interests and goals to get together. Trust me you will be the first to know when i get in I promise. Okay????? Now quit it!!

Mom: Oh... well... do you think you should really present yourself to be something you are not??? I mean that could lead to a lot of misunderstandings and lawsuits. You should know better than that dear. Anyway I will talk to you later I have to run now have a good day.

***Would I get fired if I showed up to work a bit tipsy? Vive la Jack Daniels!!***

Later guys

Ha Ha, dear god your mom knows about SDN now? That could be trouble. Now, all we need is for your mom to get a username like "obsessiveMDmom" on this site and start flaming you :laugh:

Originally posted by DW
Ha Ha, dear god your mom knows about SDN now? That could be trouble. Now, all we need is for your mom to get a username like "obsessiveMDmom" on this site and start flaming you :laugh:

Somehow, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. I remember one time my mom was looking for some information on a car... she said that the web address was "something something something dot car dot com".

PS - Nice avatar. Find me a Launchpad one. :)

Originally posted by DW

OH DEAR GOD NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

***Even when she has nothing to say she can be soooo very irritating***

Me: Yes mother

***I love Caller ID at work***

Mom: Hi.... (silence)

Me: Uh, what is it?

Mom: Are you busy?

Me: I'm at work what do you think

Mom: Oh... (silence)

Me: Mother do you need something?

Mom: (big sigh) No

Me: Mother I am at work, would you please just say something or hang up the phone. This is ridiculous.

Mom: (flabbergasted) Are you calling me ridiculous!!!?? How could you call your mother such a thing?!? I mean, haven't I stood by you and haven't I been your support system?????? !!!??? How could you hurt my feelings like that.

***Okay is it me or is she freakin insane?***

Me: Where the heck did that come from?!?!?!?

Mom: If you don't want to talk to me just say so!!!! But you shouldn't call your mother names!!!

***All I have to do is back up three more feet and run full force into that window and I would go splat on the ground below. Yeah that sounds good!***

Me: (Silence) ***What exactly can I say to that one***

Mom: Well anyway I'll see you tomorrow. Goodbye

***Thunk Thunk Thunk Thunk. Nope still feel my head. Thunk thunk thunk...****

My g-mom is very supportive in what i do too. She is telling everyone I am going to be a Doctor. I am basically the family doctor, lol. Someone gets hurt they come to me, and my mom is like "Do they need to go to the Doctor?". lol. She tells everyone I am going to be a Doctor and my whole family is waiting for me. She is very supportive, and she has faith that I can do anything. :)
My aunt calls and she is like, "When you become a doctor you can come and check me and my cat at once."
ME: ??? what?
HER: Your going to be a doctor, our bodies are about the same. ME: :confused:

Attachments

• doctors2.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 714
Conversation 5:45am this morning

***I think I am destined not to sleep until my alarm goes off***

Mom: Sweety, are you sleeping???

***You'd think by now she'd know that that is a dumb question***

Me: No, I popped a zit on my forehead and now the congealed pus has glued me in this position.

Mom: Don't be disgusting. Anyway, I have a surprise for you

***I hate surprises***

Me: No thanks mother, I'd rather sleep.

Mom: But I really tried hard on this one. I wrote the dean at Mount Sinai about you volunteering there. You remember Diane right? Well her husband is the dean at Mount Siani. Isn't that wonderful?!?!

***Is it possible to get the spins and not be drunk?***

Me: YOU DID WHAT???????????????

Mom: I told him that you were an experienced EMT and that you would be an asset to him.

Me: (Popping straight out of bed) CALL HIM BACK!! CALL HIM BACK RIGHT NOW!!!! Tell him your crazy and that you were off your medication!!!!!! TELL HIM YOUR ALL BETTER NOW!!! CALL HIM BACK CALL HIM BACK NOW!!!! (Sheer panic)

Mom: (completely oblivious to the situation of course) Oh sweety stop being so melodramatic. Diane told me that all he was going to do is get you a simple volunteer position in the hospital. That's all. You should be thankful. Well anyway it probably won't happen anytime soon as he's such a busy man and all, so you probably have a long wait before he even calls you back.

***I wonder what it's like to be on prozac, does it mix well with Jack Daniels?***

Me: Mother, please call Diane and her husband and give them my apologies. Tell them that I cannot except a position that I haven't gotten fairly and of my own accord, but I appreciate the the effort and time he put into keeping me in mind.

Mom: Oh well I suppose if you put it that way it sounds like I did an awful unethical thing. Either that or it's as I suspect and you are simply being difficult. And sweety just to let you know I believe that you are BEING DIFFICULT!!!....... Anyway have a nice day love you bye.

***Where is the One Eyed, One Horned Giant Purple Parent Eater when you need it***

wait, wait, I dont get it this one. I might not be reading this right, but your mom has somehow arranged for you to volunteer with a dean at mount sinai? arguable unethical, but you do what you have to do sometimes

***Conversation while I was writing that last post***

***Not paying attention to the phone***

Me: Good Morning Money Tranfer

Mom: Hi sweety. What are you doing this afternoon?

***Say your busy, say your busy***

Me: Nothing, why?

Mom: Good then we should have lunch together today.

***Told ya, HA HA!!**

Me: Well, um, why don't we play it by ear.

Mom: We can talk about what your goals are and how quickly you want to achieve then within the next two years or so. I even wrote up some things you can do to help ypu along in the process. It's like a Gnatt graph.

Me: Um thanks (I think) But I don't know what might happen this afternoon so let's just play it by ear okay mother?

Mom: Oh... Well... Fine! Goodbye!

***Hangs up. Don't you have the feeling that this is not over?***

Originally posted by DW
wait, wait, I dont get it this one. I might not be reading this right, but your mom has somehow arranged for you to volunteer with a dean at mount sinai? arguable unethical, but you do what you have to do sometimes

Unethical and potentially dangerous in that I would owe somebody something along the way and I really don't want to get into that with my mom's friends. I don't know what do you guys think I should do? I know she hasn't called him back yet because she secretly thinks that she is going to get me to do it anyway. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. TTFN

I dont know the entire situation but i fail so see what is so horribly unethical about the situation. The guy is a family friend, right? And he's the dean of a private med school in NY? Its not like you're being "handed" an acceptance. Even if he didn't help you directly at the admissions vote, what better perspective would you get for determining how to approach applying than advice from the horse's mouth? Probably a sh*tload better perspective than whoever your undergrad premed advisor is.

You're always going to "owe" someone in this process, your recommenders, professors, employers, etc. Might as well "owe" someone with some clout. I'd say at least check it out before writing the possiblity off entirely and see if its something you might want to do, you could learn a lot from the situation. There's a fine line between rational integrity and overt stubbornness.

jusr my opinion though

Originally posted by DW
I dont know the entire situation but i fail so see what is so horribly unethical about the situation. The guy is a family friend, right? And he's the dean of a private med school in NY? Its not like you're being "handed" an acceptance. Even if he didn't help you directly at the admissions vote, what better perspective would you get for determining how to approach applying than advice from the horse's mouth? Probably a sh*tload better perspective than whoever your undergrad premed advisor is.

You're always going to "owe" someone in this process, your recommenders, professors, employers, etc. Might as well "owe" someone with some clout. I'd say at least check it out before writing the possiblity off entirely and see if its something you might want to do, you could learn a lot from the situation. There's a fine line between rational integrity and overt stubbornness.

jusr my opinion though

I guess you're right. I just hate it when my mother is right, it drives me up a wall. I'll look into it and see what's up, it couldn't hurt to at least investigate. Thanks DW.

I luv your stories Silver...:love: Maybe you should start a pre-med diary or something on your experiances..:)

***Conversation 5:45am... She's late***

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping?

***There should be a law against stupid questions before 7:00am***

Me: No, the feathers in my pillow have revolted and are holding me captive.

Mom: Must you always be such a smart a$$, anyway this Student Doctor Network that you go on, is it free?

***Uh Oh, run SDNers RUN!!!!!!!!.... Say it costs $100 per year***

Me: Yes it's free... Why

Mom: Didn't you tell me once that you were going to show me how to work the internet and use a computer screen?

Caveat: About ten years ago.I offered to teach my parents about the internet to give them a basic knowledge of the computer world. My dad opted to pay someone to teach him (fine with me) and my screeched at te thought and asked me if I was looking for an excuse to become "some sort of hacker". That was the end of that.

Me: Mother that was ten years ago. I really don't have the time now.

***Good Answer, Good Answer... I'm going with, No time Pat.... SURVEY SAYS!***

Mom: Oh... well... I guess increasing my knowledge base isn't really any of your concern. I guess parents are supposed to educate children, not the other way around.

***EEEEEHHHHH.... Sorry that was not a answer***

Mom: Anyway I have to go... Water the plants for me sweety. love you bye.

***Alarm goes off immediately after she closes the door. Does it count as a mercy killing if your parent isn't actually physically sick?***

Oh sweety stop being so melodramatic. Diane told me that all he was going to do is get you a simple volunteer position in the hospital.

I'd take the position in a second... sweety ;)

Glad you're posting again silver, I missed your posts!

Originally posted by silvercholla:
"Me: No, I popped a zit on my forehead and now the congealed pus has glued me in this position."

Silver-did it ever occur to you that you might have a diagnosis??

***Phone rings at 5:55am... ***

Me: 'Lo

Mom: Sweety were you sleeping?

***Even when she is not in the same borough, she seems to be able to irritate the crap out of me.***

Sidebar: Last night I was working on the ambulance and finally finished a major MCI @ around 2am. Which meant I got home at 3am.

Me: Who 'sat?

Mom: It's your mother... were you drinking last night.

Me: Time sit

Mom: It's five minutes to five. Hon I just called to ask you if you really want me to tell Diane to set up the appointment for you.

***Is there something about old age that makes you repeat what people ask you to do 24hrs before.***

Me: Uh Huh

Mom: Sweety wake up.... HELLLOOO!!!!

Me: WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mom: Don't yelll at your mother... what's wrong with you this morning?

Me: Ambulance last night

Mom: Oh... Well... Sweety I realize that being an EMT is a very important job, but it is only volunteer, you should keep these things in prespective.

*** There is no such thing as prespective at 5:55 in the morning***

***Alarm goes off***

Me: Mother, why do you insist on waking me at 5, whatever in the morning, every single morning, over and over and over again?!?!?

***Technology has jolted me back into reality***

Mom: Well it's the only time that I can be sure that you will listen to me and not try and get out of it dear. Anyway have a good weekend love you bye.

***See I told you she was a calculating chameleon***

Originally posted by unregistered
Originally posted by silvercholla:
"Me: No, I popped a zit on my forehead and now the congealed pus has glued me in this position."

Silver-did it ever occur to you that you might have a diagnosis??

What do you mean?????

Okay, here's a conversation between me and my grandmother on the telephone.

Me:Hey, Nana how are you?

Nana: well I'm just fine. How did your college orientation go?

Me:It went great, I registered for my classes for the Fall term.

Nana: What are you taking?

Me: Gen. psy, chemistry, spanish, and pre-calc.

Nana: Don't you have to take english?!

Me: *someone help me* Nana, i'm doing that next semester. (!)

Nana: oh. Okay.

I get off the phone later slightly disapointed that all she cared about was english. AGHH! grandmothers.
:rolleyes: She's the best one out there though!:D

I meant your diagnosis could be something like

"terminally funny"
or
"chronically hilarious"

Computer dialog, for all its wonder and glory, does lack the convenience of facial expression. I love your mom stories too. We should all be so lucky!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was on a mini vacation, visiting and mooching off a good friend... but my mom reaches far. Even to Fire Island

***Conversation 5:00am, after a well worked for hangover***

Cell phone rings.

Me: Whosat...

Mom: Sweety were you sleeping.

Me: WHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Mom: It's to early in the morning to yell you might wake your friends. I just wanted to ask if you want me to tell Diane's husband that you want a specific, volunteer position at the hospital or do you want the standard candy striper poistion.

***I know there is liquor around here some where I just have to find it. It's never to early for your daily allowance of absolut***

Me: Mother can this wait until I get home? Or at least til I am awake?

Mom: You know dear, if you want to be successful in the medical field then you should take more of an interest. Go back to sleep, love you bye.

***mmmmmm Screwdriver, breakfast of champions***

Last Parent post... hope no one minds

***Conversation: 4:55am. Oh crap she's early***

Mom: (Low whisper, like it makes a difference) Sweety are you sleeping?

Me: No, I saw a nightmare on elm street last night and I'm trying to recreate a master piece.

Caveat: For those of you who don't know Freddy Kruger. In the first film Johnny Depp's character gets sucked into the bed and then blown back out into a bajillion tiny bloddy pieces all over the bedroom ceiling. my mom hates that movie.

Mom: That's disgusting. I think that you should get married before you go to medical school.

***DON"T ANSWER DON"T ANSWER***

Me: How can I get married mother if I don't have a boyfriend or any prospect whatsoever. Wait a minute, what in the hell are you talking about.

Mom: Watch you mouth. Because getting married would help to keep you grounded and if you marry now then you don't have to worry about jealousy later.

***HUH!!!***

Me: Mother you are not making any sense at all. This is a silly conversation (especially for 4whatever in the moorning) I DON"T HAVE A BOY FRIEND!!!

Mom: Diane has a son... and he is a broker for TD Waterhouse and I think it would be nice...

Me: Oh NO WAY!!! You are not setting me up! I should be a doctor now just so I could prescribe Xanax!!!

Mom: Well sweety you are pushing 30 and you and I both know you aren't getting slimmer with age maybe you should keep your prospects open. Go back to sleep love you and have nice day.

***I wish doctors could prescribe themselves Xanax... I have a feeling I'm going to need it soon***

Well sweety you are pushing 30 and you and I both know you aren't getting slimmer with age maybe you should keep your prospects open.

ouch! silvercholla's mom, queen of tact :laugh: your aunt diane has the hookup though.

this reminds me of a "heart to heart" my mother tried to have with me when i went home this spring.

mom: so, when you go to medical school, what type of doctor do you want to become?

me: i'm not entirely sure, maybe i'll go into internal medicine or preventive medicine, something like that

mom: why not surgery or something?

me: well, i'm not entirely sure i could handle the lifestyle, i think i might want to do something more low key but i'd figure it out for sure during school, there are a lot of specialties out there.........

mom: will you be making a lot of money? (oh god, where the hell is this going?)

me: well, probably not, i'm not really looking for some big financial payout, just want to reasonably cover school debt and live comfortably..........

mom: (trying to "level" with me condascendingly) baby, you need to go into something that pays well. no woman wants to be with a man who can barely pay his own rent. you have all these girls fawning over your good lucks now, but you wont have that when you're older and out of shape. maybe if you settled down with someone now she would give you better perspective on your career choices.

(okay, at this point is it a good time to drop the hidden fact that i'd been dating a jewish girl for almost half a year? damned if you do, damned if you dont.

let me add the backdrop that my mother is convinced that i am the biggest man ***** ever, even though my only contact with girls has really been three steady relationships. this presumption goes in accordance with when she thought i was doing drugs because i came home late because of track meets in high school, and the time that she thought i had dropped out of college because i didn't answer an email she sent for three weeks, among other things).

me: (yelling) I'm not going to be on welfare or something if i dont become a neurosurgeon!!!! look mom, if a woman is so shallow that she wont love me for 100K a year versus 250K a year, then thats a woman I want no part of!!!

mom: (trying to pull the innocent mom shtick) sweety, what are so mad about?

me: cause you're frustrating me with these ridiculous conclusions about my life!! i'm not trying to take some high paying job i dont like and end up with some trophy wife and live miserably ever after!!!!!

mom: oh, its ok baby. besides, you might meet yourself some nice girl in medical school who wants to be a surgeon, and you could marry her.

me: ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!! (DW slaps head, picks up car keys, and storms angrily out of house).

since i've started college, whenever she fields a call from a female friend of mine or meets a friend in person, its :"whats her name? whats her major? what are her career goals? does her family have money?"

ughhh
:mad:

Wow, I just went through this entire thread and have found it extremely entertaining! And Silver...

Me: How can I get married mother if I don't have a boyfriend or any prospect whatsoever. Wait a minute, what in the hell are you talking about.

How YOU doin'?

My Dad sat me down for a "come to Jesus" talk this past weekend.

Dad: Kiddo (which he calls me b/c he's forgotten my actual name), we need to have a talk.

ST: Uh, sure Dad... but first I have to finish reading this issue of TV Guide, and then there are the stairs to vacuum, and I need to change the kitty litter at some point today...

Dad: Do you realize how much this is going to cost your mother and me? Don't you think you should be looking into a profession that will allow you to make money faster?

***say what?****

Dad: Your mother and I aren't getting any younger, and we just bought a new house, and these schools are quite expensive. I don't think you should apply to any more schools, and you should only go to UNC or ECU. Any other school would be too much for your mother and me to pay for, and would be irresponsible of you.

***HUH??? Becoming a doctor is IRRESPONSIBLE???***

ST: Dad, I'm not expecting you to pay for med school. I'm not asking you to pay for it... I paid for my undergrad, and I'll find a way to pay for med school.

Dad: And how exactly do you plan to go about doing that?

*****Prostitution and drug traficking. Or I could marry some 94 year old oil tycoon and wait til he kicks the bucket...Oh wait-- not a good time for sarcasm****

ST: Loans. That's what everyone does.

Dad: Do you really want to be that much in debt? Do you know that intrest will accrue? Blah blah blah (he ranted for a bit, but I tuned him out...) Maybe you should stay in your research job until you can completely pay for medical school.

*****Is 22 to old to put myself up for adoption??*****

OK I give in. I was one of the original naysayers in this thread, advocating not talking to parents at all. I gave in, however, and gave my mom a call.

Me: Hello mom.

Mom: Nive to hear from you.

Me; I got something to tell you about. I have applied to medical school. The applications are in now, and if I am accepted I will start next August.

Mom: Did you hear that your brother got promoted?

Me: That's great, but what do you think about what I just said?

Mom: Thats fine. Should be fun. They just painted the house next door an ugly yellow color, I think I am going to complain to the association.

Me: You certainly don't seem to excited. Don't you think it is a good idea?

Mom: Sure. But I can't get really excited about it. First you were an engineer, and then you were a banker for a while, and now a doctor. I wish you'd just pick one and stay with it.

(Gasp!!!!)

Me: Thanks mom. Talk to you later.

So much for the over involved mom that I was worried about.