parents...driving...me...crazy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I'm glad you've narrowed it down. ;)

Edit: SkyPilot - Look at that, simultaneous posts! What are the odds?

Jinx, :scared: Great minds think alike?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, right...right. My mistake. ;)
I couldn't do ortho. I don't think I would like developing calluses on my knuckles from them dragging on the ground all the time.

To the OP: Were your parents talking to FP "primary care docs"? There's more than one type of primary care doc and they don't all have favorable opinions of FP.

To the recruiter guy: No offense, but I don't trust recruiters. Any money quote they give, I DOWNgrade by 35%. Maybe you're legit, but our field is rife with big-number-talking recruiters who make a living of fudging the numbers. And anyway, how'd our venerable moderator allow someone to get their business pitch into the forum? I got censored just for giving a glowing reference of a loan agent I recently used.

And anyway, how'd our venerable moderator allow someone to get their business pitch into the forum? I got censored just for giving a glowing reference of a loan agent I recently used.

I felt her comments contributed to the ongoing discussion about incomes. If they had been nothing but a blatent commercial pitch, they would've been deleted per SDN's TOS (no free advertising.)

To the OP: Were your parents talking to FP "primary care docs"? There's more than one type of primary care doc and they don't all have favorable opinions of FP.

To the recruiter guy: No offense, but I don't trust recruiters. Any money quote they give, I DOWNgrade by 35%. Maybe you're legit, but our field is rife with big-number-talking recruiters who make a living of fudging the numbers. And anyway, how'd our venerable moderator allow someone to get their business pitch into the forum? I got censored just for giving a glowing reference of a loan agent I recently used.

I believe that the docs that my mom was talking to were fp's and pediatricians.

So what your saying is that if i work my tail off I can make "up to 150." That does not sound promising.

My friend who makes 110k in upstate NJ works hard for that 110k.

We have a 1st year guarantee of $120k for a physician fresh out of residency. So you're guaranteed that much your first year, after that you're paid per RVU. The average physician can make $135k their 2nd year by meeting our RVU goal which is adjusted for holidays, time in meetings and paid time off).

Even if you're short by - say 10% at year end - you'd still make just over 120k.

Unfortunately you're right...being on the "inside" I've found recruiters from staffing agencies to be a bit pushy and are probably compensated on a commission basis - hence the "do-whatever-it-takes" mentality. Recruiters who work directly for the employer are more than likely paid a regular salary and to take it a step further, recruiters who work for a non-profit aren't in it for the money - but for the mission.

My purpose in posting here isn't to recruit but to learn about the people I'm recruiting to help me in turn be a better recruiter and if I can offer some insight to some conversations - I'm happy to oblige.

Yeah, fine. I hear you (and KentW). But I'm still distrustful of any professional who posts to SDN and leaves all their contact info. While I don't blame you - it's fish in a barrel to some extent - I'm still uncomfortable with it.

Mortgage brokers, in particular, are frequently logging into SDN "just to learn" about their clientele. They invariably pick up contacts. The difference between a professional recruiter and everyone else in this forum is that you stand to gain financially by a relationship with any one of us. I trust that this is not the case between me and, say, KentW or SophieJane or any of the other people who post on this site frequently. This is an important element of SDN. I thus have a problem with your presence in this forum, although you could be a perfectly cool person.

Here's a list of off the top of my head of people who makes money off doctors: lawyers, insurance companies, coding companies, transcription companies, drug companies, secretaries, mortgage brokers, bankers, techs of every kind, office managers, computer programmers, device companies...and now you. Can't we have a break and just talk between ourselves?

Yeah, fine. I hear you (and KentW). But I'm still distrustful of any professional who posts to SDN and leaves all their contact info. While I don't blame you - it's fish in a barrel to some extent - I'm still uncomfortable with it.

Mortgage brokers, in particular, are frequently logging into SDN "just to learn" about their clientele. They invariably pick up contacts. The difference between a professional recruiter and everyone else in this forum is that you stand to gain financially by a relationship with any one of us. I trust that this is not the case between me and, say, KentW or SophieJane or any of the other people who post on this site frequently. This is an important element of SDN. I thus have a problem with your presence in this forum, although you could be a perfectly cool person.

Here's a list of off the top of my head of people who makes money off doctors: lawyers, insurance companies, coding companies, transcription companies, drug companies, secretaries, mortgage brokers, bankers, techs of every kind, office managers, computer programmers, device companies...and now you. Can't we have a break and just talk between ourselves?

Amen to that! :thumbup:

I hear what you're saying, folks. However, let's try to be polite. While SDN is primarily for MDs and DOs, anyone is welcome to post here, provided they stick to the ground rules. It appears to me that she understands that. Let's cut her some slack. :)

Well, a few days ago, I had finally decided to apply to family practice residency...I had struggled all year with figuring out what I wanted to do. I've been feeling so happy since I made my decision. Well, I came home today and my mom calls me into to her room because she has to have a "very important conversation" with me. Apparently she went to a "prayer group" meeting where a number of primary care doctors had told her that since I am graduating from an american medical school, I'm basically wasting my time with applying to family practice. I'm guessing if they were american grads they wouldn't be picking primary care. They also mentioned how they don't make any money, and have to see 40 patients just to barely make it...which I find hard to believe:rolleyes: Also they never see their families. This stressed me out slightly because any time I hear doctors moan and groan about compensation, it worries me, mostly because I'll have 200,000 in loans to pay back, and would eventually would like to trade in my 1997 150,000 mile cavalier for something a bit....nicer. Now, I was always under the impression that I could make somewhere of the ball park of 120-150K working about 5 days a week and would have a nice fulfilling career working in my local community....which I always felt was quite adequate. Sorry for such a long post, but I just need a little positive encouragement. Although I think it's important to hear disgruntled docs' point of view, it sometimes shakes me up a bit.....

When choosing a job money is the primary concern. When choosing a career/specialty happiness is primary, money secondary. Give your Mom a hug, thank her for her concern, and then do what you think will make you happiest while still being able to pay the bills. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I narrowed it down based upon three things:
1. They actually seem at least mildly challenging and interesting enough to hold my ADD-addled attention.
2. They pay something resembling what I think I should make as a doc.
3. They aren't basically open admissions to anyone who just happens to possess an MD or DO, a pulse, a core temperature above ambient, and supratentorial function (unlike some "specialties").

Is this how you speak on a day to day basis? Seriously, your posts crack me up. What medical school and what year are you in anyway?

I used to date the daughter of an FP doc, he offered to repay 50% of my loans if I became an FP or IM doc and I worked with him for two years and then he would hand over his practice to me (since he would be ready to retire) I told him I'd rather have my balls gnawed on by a half-starved, rabid Rottweiler than become a primary care doc.

I thought this quote was far more eloquent. I was almost moved to tears by the love of his fellow human being and the obvious desire to take care of patients. Hippocrates would be proud.

I thought this quote was far more eloquent. I was almost moved to tears by the love of his fellow human being and the obvious desire to take care of patients. Hippocrates would be proud.

:laugh:

Fortunately, in the ED, his patient contact--although frequent--will be brief and superficial.

Fortunately, in the ED, his patient contact--although frequent--will be brief and superficial.

And this differs from the normal 15 minute appointment slot you all work around? Trust me we see our frequent fliers more than you see a lot of your patients. :laugh:

I was almost moved to tears by the love of his fellow human being and the obvious desire to take care of patients.

So just because I choose to avoid something which the very thought of bores the hell out of me, I'm suddenly a horrible person and not dedicated to the well being of my patients? Gee....thanks. :laugh:

And this differs from the normal 15 minute appointment slot you all work around? Trust me we see our frequent fliers more than you see a lot of your patients. :laugh:

So just because I choose to avoid something which the very thought of bores the hell out of me, I'm suddenly a horrible person and not dedicated to the well being of my patients? Gee....thanks. :laugh:

Just out of curiosity aren't you still in medical school?

DKM is a pre-med, according to his profile.

Keep the thread on-topic, folks, or it's closing time.
That's right, I'm a premed (albeit a non-trad and a respiratory therapist, echocardiographer and EMT-I).

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

That's right, I'm a premed (albeit a non-trad and a respiratory therapist, echocardiographer and EMT-I).

I'm confused. I thought you were pre-PA?

wait, neonatology is a specialty of pediatrics,

thats 3 years of a primary care residency, oh no, what will the FPs think?