PASS 2014 general questions thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys waiting until all of your information is at PASS prior to paying for submission to the programs?

The reason I ask is I will have everything there long before my Institutional Evaluation is completed which it sounds like could take 4-6 weeks after they receive my CV and personal statement. All of my evaluations and PPI will be in the system by the end of the month.

My initial thought is a program would probably like to get all the electronic information at one time or does it matter since we will still need to send them in the transcripts etc...

What say you?

It is my understanding that many of the sections cannot be changed once you submit your payment - you cannot add your IE, PPI or PEs once they are paid for.

My best advice is that you get EVERYTHING in before paying for your schools.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that many of the sections cannot be changed once you submit your payment - you cannot add your IE, PPI or PEs once they are paid for.

My best advice is that you get EVERYTHING in before paying for your schools.

Makes sense, I was originally thinking the IE was a little different then the PPI/PEF's.

After submitting to a few schools, is it possible to add more schools later or does everything needs to be done at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
After submitting to a few schools, is it possible to add more schools later or does everything needs to be done at the same time?

You can add schools all the way up to their deadline

As for PEF, can an an evaluator write a personl LOR and upload it in addition to giving ratings and filling out additional comments in PEF?

As for PEF, can an an evaluator write a personl LOR and upload it in addition to giving ratings and filling out additional comments in PEF?

From what I heard, there is no way to attached anything - the LOR needs to be copy and pasted into the "comment" box in the PEs

From what I heard, there is no way to attached anything - the LOR needs to be copy and pasted into the "comment" box in the PEs

I had two schools ask if I could have my PEF writers craft a Letter of Rec and send to them..soo...may be a nice thing to let them know that they may need to also write an actual letter of rec.

I have a question regarding the personal statement/essay. If you plan to site specific studies, how does one add a bibliography given the limited space available?

I was curious on how long your guys school takes to create your Institutional Evaluation following the initial request in PASS?

It looks like mine will take 8-10 weeks.

Hey can anybody shed some light on FERPA waiver. I am not able to completely undeerstand it. Should I waive it or not. How will it affect the PPIs or the application process.

If Im going to talk about why I want to do something, then I think its important to actually be well versed on the topic. I dont want to throw out a statistic and not back it up. --- and yes, I have multiple degrees aside from the DMD, so the professor thing was appropriate at one time in my life.

I was curious on how long your guys school takes to create your Institutional Evaluation following the initial request in PASS?

It looks like mine will take 8-10 weeks.

It took my school 2 weeks to turn it around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey can anybody shed some light on FERPA waiver. I am not able to completely undeerstand it. Should I waive it or not. How will it affect the PPIs or the application process.

Spoke with a few people at my school regarding this. Most felt more comfortable giving an honest evaluation if you waived the right to read the evaluation. I ended up waiving everything.

It took me quite some time to figure this out.

Also, does anyone know where the NDBE scores needs to be reported to? The addresses/ contact name is inconsistent in AAPD/PASS versus the program website.
Do we generally send it to the admissions office or the program director directly where it isn't explicitly stated?

Anybody has insight into this. I have come across at least 2-3 programs where the address we need to send the scores to is not easy to figure out. Example - Loma Linda

Btw, how many programs do people apply to these days?

i heard that it takes 4 weeks for the nbde scores for residency programs to get them. Any truth to that?

i heard that it takes 4 weeks for the nbde scores for residency programs to get them. Any truth to that?

I was told it takes 4-6 weeks. The sooner you request the better

when asking to send out the nbde scores they only give you 3 programs at a time to send to. Do you re log in and just keep sending out 3 at a time?

when asking to send out the nbde scores they only give you 3 programs at a time to send to. Do you re log in and just keep sending out 3 at a time?

Unfortunately, yes. You will not be able to track the status of your requests either.

I graduated 2010, and 2 faculties sent PPI for AEGD that I did 2010-2011. I wrote them a really nice email last week, reminding them that how they wrote me one for AEGD, and how much it has helped me where I am in my career today, and that I wanna pursue pedo. I asked if they could please write me a LOR for pedo for this year. I still havent heard from them. Should I email again? Or does it mean they forgot me and just don't wanna do it?

arrggg..i hate this process :scared:

I graduated 2010, and 2 faculties sent PPI for AEGD that I did 2010-2011. I wrote them a really nice email last week, reminding them that how they wrote me one for AEGD, and how much it has helped me where I am in my career today, and that I wanna pursue pedo. I asked if they could please write me a LOR for pedo for this year. I still havent heard from them. Should I email again? Or does it mean they forgot me and just don't wanna do it?

Im dealing with same thing. I dont think its that they dont want to write you a review just got a lot other stuff going on. There is a reason there is a resend request link on ppi. I would wait longer than a week. Just not sure when its a good time to re-email.....2 weeks, 3 weeks or a month? Maybe someone could help answer. I agree this is an annoying part of the process.

Maybe they're away on summer vacation or something. It is June. Try calling the department and ask the secretary. You can leave a message with the secretary too. I went through this process last year. Just be patient and be persistent with your request. Don't forget to be really nice to everyone that you talk to.

Does anyone know if any of the CA programs actually need you to have taken WREB? I only have NERB so this would be a show stopper for me.

Where should we put our publications in PASS?

I was told that this is included in the institution evaluation

Does anyone know if any of the CA programs actually need you to have taken WREB? I only have NERB so this would be a show stopper for me.

No, not required, you will need to get a limited license allowing you to work in the program only, but without taking WREB or practicing for a number of years, you couldnt moonlight in CA.

No, not required, you will need to get a limited license allowing you to work in the program only, but without taking WREB or practicing for a number of years, you couldnt moonlight in CA.

Thanks! Do residents actually moonlight while in the program? I thought they didn't have time for that :confused:

I was told that this is included in the institution evaluation

Yes, boards scores are in the IE, however, some programs require board scores be sent directly to them - which can take 3-4 weeks

What is everyone doing for the "additional information" section? I can't think of anything meaningful enough to put there so I may leave it blank. At the same time, simply leaving it blank isn't ideal. What are everyone's thoughts?

What is everyone doing for the "additional information" section? I can't think of anything meaningful enough to put there so I may leave it blank. At the same time, simply leaving it blank isn't ideal. What are everyone's thoughts?
I may put my publications.

I've sent out the PEF (prefessional evaluation form) request to my professors etc. How will I know if they completed it or not? Like PPI sends me a notification once it is completed. Please guide..

I heard a lot of times that apply as early as possible. But is it true that the programs start selecting the applications even before the deadlines or early applications are given preference? or is it different for every specialty or AEGD or GPR programs?
Do the students who apply near the deadlines, have less chances of getting selected?

I have 2 questions:

1) Why even do a GPR/AEGD? There is a possibility that your GPR/AEGD ends up really bad and useless. You are paid a pittance and could be paid much more at a chain and still get experience.

2) Why even specialize? Just be a GP and take lots of CE to get good at basic ortho, endo, and extractions.

I've sent out the PEF (prefessional evaluation form) request to my professors etc. How will I know if they completed it or not? Like PPI sends me a notification once it is completed. Please guide..

You will be able to track it on the pass website. Just click on the the "status" tab and it will show you the evaluations.

I have 2 questions:

1) Why even do a GPR/AEGD? There is a possibility that your GPR/AEGD ends up really bad and useless. You are paid a pittance and could be paid much more at a chain and still get experience.

2) Why even specialize? Just be a GP and take lots of CE to get good at basic ortho, endo, and extractions.

Well, some people would like a bit more training coming out of school. To be honest, you're really only exposed to a few basic cases while in pre-doc, and many like more exposure to more difficult/complicated procedures/cases. I'd venture to say that even if some are not happy with their GPR/AEGD, they would never say its "useless." You really dont know how much you need to learn when you're straight out of school.

Many people who specialize, really enjoy a certain aspect of dentistry and want to devote themselves to it. CEs are wonderful, but its still limited exposure on some random weekend throughout the year. More indepth CE courses that run year long, are great too, but very expensive. Theres much more depth needed to answer these questions, but thats the gist.

PASS vs MATCH AEGDs?

I was just adding Pass AEGD/GPR programs. Am I missing out on a lot of programs or opportunity by not participating in Match? Is there an advantage to participating in MATCH? Thank you

I can get recommendations/evaluations from 7 people only but I need 8 (5 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE).
I have following options:

1. go for 4 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE (coz most of the programs to which I am applying ask for 3 PPI)
2. go for 5 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE (one person overlapping in PPI and PEF)
3. go for 5 PPI, 2 PPI, 1 IE (dean overlapping in PPI and IE)

Please suggest me something.

I can get recommendations/evaluations from 7 people only but I need 8 (5 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE).
I have following options:

1. go for 4 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE (coz most of the programs to which I am applying ask for 3 PPI)
2. go for 5 PPI, 2 PEF, 1 IE (one person overlapping in PPI and PEF)
3. go for 5 PPI, 2 PPI, 1 IE (dean overlapping in PPI and IE)

Please suggest me something.

Your first choice seems the best. I don't think dean can write PPI because most probably dean is never involved as a direct supervisor. In our school dean writes evaluation based on 3 faculty member's opinion. And in regards to PEF I guess they are not necessary. PASS doesn't recommend it.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion :)

And PEF...a few of my programs have asked for 2 PEF, apart from PPI and IE, although PASS does not recommend it.

PASS only let's us send 2 letters to programs. I have 3 really good letters. Some programs require the third some don't. Should I send the third personally in the packet directly to the program? Have the 3rd letter sent directly to program from author?

PASS only let's us send 2 letters to programs. I have 3 really good letters. Some programs require the third some don't. Should I send the third personally in the packet directly to the program? Have the 3rd letter sent directly to program from author?

I would say send it with your application packet that way chances of misplacing it will be less. If you have sealed letter with stamp on it works as if you are waiving your rights to see it.

I am curious as to once you finish your application in PASS, submit the chosen programs into the system and pay.

Does the application information from PASS get sent to the chosen programs instantly or is there some time lapse and printed out copies are sent to the programs?

I am curious as to once you finish your application in PASS, submit the chosen programs into the system and pay.

Does the application information from PASS get sent to the chosen programs instantly or is there some time lapse and printed out copies are sent to the programs?

Found the answer for those interested:

ADEA PASS begins releasing completed applications to your selected advanced education programs in June. Once you have submitted your complete ADEA PASS application your selected programs will have immediate access to your application. The completion date will vary depending upon when your required documents (e.g., dental school transcript) arrive in our office. Once all required documents (ETS® PPI report, Institution Evaluation,Dental School Transcript, and any Professional Evaluations) have been received, your application will be marked as complete. You will need to monitor the status of your application to see which of these documents has been received.

I have 2 questions:

Why even go to dental school? Between iphone apps, wikipedia and the youtube you got all you need

If the institution letter has my NBDE scores does the requested one from ADA which takes 4-6 weeks have to arrive at the school before the deadline listed on the PASS website? I think I'm cutting it close... Is the PASS deadline more for the actual PASS app and all the required test scores to confirm what is on PASS has to arrive soon after or is it all due on the deadline listed? Thanks.

If the institution letter has my NBDE scores does the requested one from ADA which takes 4-6 weeks have to arrive at the school before the deadline listed on the PASS website? I think I'm cutting it close... Is the PASS deadline more for the actual PASS app and all the required test scores to confirm what is on PASS has to arrive soon after or is it all due on the deadline listed? Thanks.

Just order them sent ASAP and don't worry about it. Call the schools and tell them they are on the way if you like. You will be fine.

My school is taking RIDICULOUSLY long to do the institutional evaluation. For a half page letter I don't see why this is so hard. It's like they don't want their students to succeed....smh. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes it takes a long time, you need to call them and keep pushing them to do it. Its usually one person that prepares them and then they take them to the dean of students to sign off on them. Its the most painstaking part of the application (along with getting people to do the PPI)

Yes it takes a long time, you need to call them and keep pushing them to do it. Its usually one person that prepares them and then they take them to the dean of students to sign off on them. Its the most painstaking part of the application (along with getting people to do the PPI)

Yes, this is what I had to do. I hate being the annoying person that has to go and complain....but hey it worked! Yea, it was a lot of stress I did NOT need. Oh how I love dental school.