Pass/Fail.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystic123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I unfortunately got a C- in my biochem class and am debating about pass/failing it. It wouldn't affect my gpa that way. However, it was a class required for my major so if I do take it pass/fail I need to change majors because you can't take a class within your major as pass/fail. Would it look bad to med schools to pass/fail biochem? There was a lot going on, so I couldn't really study. Should I keep the c-? It does hurt my gpa. Please help me through this!!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I unfortunately got a C- in my biochem class and am debating about pass/failing it. It wouldn't affect my gpa that way. However, it was a class required for my major so if I do take it pass/fail I need to change majors because you can't take a class within your major as pass/fail. Would it look bad to med schools to pass/fail biochem? There was a lot going on, so I couldn't really study. Should I keep the c-? It does hurt my gpa. Please help me through this!!! Thanks

Most schools don't accept pass/fail credit to meet prerequisite requirements. Some also don't accept any grade less than a C.

Your best option is to pass/fail the class now (if you can)... then retake it for a grade.

Either way, you'll most likely need to retake.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Pass/fail helps because your GPA isn't affected. And I don't think it'll look bad.

You'll probably have to retake though, because most med schools require biochem as a prereq.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@medic86 Of the schools I plan to apply to only 1 has biochem as a requirement. Also I looked on the admissions sites and none of them talk about a minimum grade to accept. At my uni c- is passing though. If I retake it I can probably only do it at a cc ( if I change my c- to a p) because there are other classes for my major I must take to graduate on time. @Oncie what do you think if I just leave it as a c-?

So here's the thing....
If I change it to a p then I need to retake incase med schools don't accept p/f, but I think they should because it is passing. However, it is a class required for my major, so then I'll have to change majors. Unless I take it at a cc and transfer credit. What's your opinion?

P/F the class then retake it when you are ready. No sense in changing your major and making yourself ineligible for a bunch of schools just because you think a P should be accepted. You'll want to do well in the class anyways so you can do well on the biochem material on the MCAT.

Wait, you can pass/fail a class AFTER you take the class? WTF?

Reactions: 3 users