PAT 17, AA 19. Thoughts? Chances? Encouragements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
17 on PAT
19 QR
18 RC
20 BIO
19 GEN CHEM
17 O-CHem
18 TS
19 AA

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Who knows, it could be his kid's scores or a friend's scores.... I thought 17 was national average and 19 is above average?

Reactions: 1 user
That's the key word right there. National average. 17 being the average is not what you want. Some schools have a cut off at 17, meaning if you get a 17 they don't look at your application.

Basically you want everything above 17 to be considered a competitive applicant.

Judging by these scores you better have a very high gpa and EC. If not I would retake. In either case I would retake regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how the rest of your application looks but you may need to retake it if the rest is not absolutely perfect.

Below average, but not drastically so. But more importantly -- 7+ year member, "dentist" stauts, 1500+ posts (some about endodontics residency)? Does not compute.
It's for a friend. Rather than giving him my opinion, I wanted to poll the people here.

I'll just play devil's advocate here: if your ECs, LORs, PS, and GPA are great - then don't retake. I know people with tons of volunteering and experience and good GPAs get in with 17 AA. So.... be the judge of the rest of your app. And call the schools you're interested in to figure out any cutoffs they have. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'll just play devil's advocate here: if your ECs, LORs, PS, and GPA are great - then don't retake. I know people with tons of volunteering and experience and good GPAs get in with 16 and 17 AA. So.... be the judge of the rest of your app. And call the schools you're interested in to figure out any cutoffs they have. Good luck!

I totally agree. I am one of them with avg DAT scores who got in. But my GPA was 3.65, had a great PS and LORs and a lot of volunteering hrs. So it really depends on the whole package. I also applied early. To be on the safe side though, I would retake because I felt like I was taking a risk the whole time and applied to 15 schools, had 3 interviews.