Path job market questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes: I love this forum because if one person posts that they can't find a job (which has not happened yet, as far as I can tell, other than hearsay), there will be 30,000 posts in the next week about how no one can find jobs. And if someone posts (as many of us do) about people getting great jobs, that is ignored.

I couldn't find a job.... till I found one.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find a job.... till I found one.

Haha, yeah I remember hearing someone who trained at our program couldn't find a job, then I found out he wasn't even looking and kept hoping people were going to come to him.

"A man's gotta know his limitations."

-Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood).

Members don't see this ad :)
There was an interesting presentation at the USCAP for the Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology, which referenced the recent ASCP resident surveys, the Horowitz survey of private practice pathologists, and a slew of other heavy hitters from the CAP and AAMC.

Some of the conclusions:

- Contrary to the doomsday sayers of the 1990s, there WILL be a projected physician shortage between now and the 2030s.

- There will be an increasing influx of DOs, IMGs and Caribbean graduates into the job market (all physicians, not just pathology... although we apparently do take more than the average).

- For the private practice guys, subspecialty skills which are highly sought after are: derm, cyto, blood banking (!!??!), and GI; in general subspecialty fellowships are becoming an expectation of the marketplace.

- For the academic center folks, there are lots of unfilled positions in cyto and blood banking

- In general, there are more academics positions available than private practice; it appears that for graduating residents going into academics, it's a buyer's market.

The presentation was mostly focused on the academic side, but it's surprising to see how many jobs are available in that sector. If people are interested, I've got the whole powerpoint in my hot little hands and would be happy to post it somewhere for those interested.

As for the people wanting to go into private practice, the CAP Resident forum morning session focused quite a bit on this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16867856&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum

It focuses on the job requirements rather than the job market, but it's still worth reading.

There was an interesting presentation at the USCAP for the Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology, which referenced the recent ASCP resident surveys, the Horowitz survey of private practice pathologists, and a slew of other heavy hitters from the CAP and AAMC.

Some of the conclusions:

- Contrary to the doomsday sayers of the 1990s, there WILL be a projected physician shortage between now and the 2030s.

- There will be an increasing influx of DOs, IMGs and Caribbean graduates into the job market (all physicians, not just pathology... although we apparently do take more than the average).

- For the private practice guys, subspecialty skills which are highly sought after are: derm, cyto, blood banking (!!??!), and GI; in general subspecialty fellowships are becoming an expectation of the marketplace.

- For the academic center folks, there are lots of unfilled positions in cyto and blood banking

- In general, there are more academics positions available than private practice; it appears that for graduating residents going into academics, it's a buyer's market.

The presentation was mostly focused on the academic side, but it's surprising to see how many jobs are available in that sector. If people are interested, I've got the whole powerpoint in my hot little hands and would be happy to post it somewhere for those interested.

As for the people wanting to go into private practice, the CAP Resident forum morning session focused quite a bit on this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16867856&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum

It focuses on the job requirements rather than the job market, but it's still worth reading.

Taken from the abstract:

"The principal attribute that determines success in the practice of pathology, however, is skill in communication and interpersonal relations, and this remains the major deficiency of the fledgling pathologist."

Communication and interpersonal relations are the major deficiencies? WTF?

Taken from the abstract:

"The principal attribute that determines success in the practice of pathology, however, is skill in communication and interpersonal relations, and this remains the major deficiency of the fledgling pathologist."

Have you been to USCAP? Its like a giant meeting of superdorks. I went out drinking every night in Vancouver and *maybe* saw 1 or 2 fellow conference attendees there, often there were none. If it was a ortho or derm conf., the Sky Bar would have been packed.

Absolutely - many many people are clueless when it comes to their own deficiencies. A lot of people have major trouble with common every day human relationships - either they are too aggressive, or too timid, or lack confidence, or have too much confidence.

It's not all about a language barrier, which is one some naive people think.

Taken from the abstract:

American grads FTW.