Path to military med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E5type

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my first post.
First, some quick background information.
I am an E-5 68w in the national guard. I love the army. I came from a very rough childhood and at 24 years old I hold my military service as one of my proudest achievements. I have always kick myself in the behind for being so anxious to join that I joined the guard in high school instead of waiting untill I graduated and when active duty.
I have a passion for medicine. In the civilian world I have worked in EMS for almost 5 years. I hold an AEMT license and currently in school for Surgical Technology which I'm scheduled to graduate in July. After graduating this program I will begin my freshman year in college headed for pre-med.

I'm looking for, not so much a road map, but directions to my destination as a doctor.
I could join ROTC while I'm in college to help pay for school which since I can't afford to do so with out student loans, would be great. So my first question is: as an ROTC grad what are my chances of getting in to a post graduate school.

Now comes med school (if I get in of course). I am trying to decide between MD and DO. To be honest, for me, the only attractive part of DO is 1. there is a DO school that just opened in my home town, and 2. the musculoskeletal manipulation. I personally see a DO as my PCP and love being able to get an adjustment anytime I go in for a check up. So my next question: can I be a DO as a physician in the army.

I've highly considered USU. My wife who is an LPN has the desire to go APN, and we've talked about her joining and us going to school together. None the less I am also interested in the HPSP Scholarsip: My next question is the quality of education provided at USU vs civilian med school, and if I take the HPSP scholarship exactly how much time do I owe the army.

I'm trying to find out if I should let the army pay all of my schooling. Should get my BS degree then take the HPSP scholarship, or should I graduate med school first then join the army, as in let my current enlistment contract laps.

I know this is a lot of information to ask in one post but even after searching these threads I still have so many questions so any advise at all will be welcomed.

Thank you all in advanced

Members don't see this ad.

don't go rotc unless you are willing to risk having to serve a whole term as a line officer.....get your bachelors and then apply to med school

if you want a career in the military you can get back in (or just stay reserves during undergrad) once you are accepted to a med program

I assume because your are NG you aren't eligible for the GI bill?

Agree with above. I would be cautious about ROTC. It's still possible. I few of my collegues did a combination of either ROTC or ROTC+HPSP and went straight through to medical school without issues. Keep in mind that there are a set number of medical school slots available for graduating ROTC students. You'd have to compete with your graduating class (nationwide) for these slots. If you don't make it then you will serve your commitment as a line officer.

USUHS is a reputable medical school and the students there get good training. I am HPSP but I serve as an assistant professor at the medical school there as a clinical instructor. The students are generally sharp. More are non-traditional (older with family). USUHS obligates you to 7 years pay back AFTER your residency training. So most USUHS students do 20 years+ in the military.

If you are thinking of going the civilian route, HPSP is an option. Joining after residency (FAP) is also an option.

Honestly, it seems like you like the military a lot. USUHS may be the best bet for you if you get in. You will be paid as an active duty 2LT during medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you want to stay in the guard....
a number of states give free tuition to state guard members. if you could get into a med school in one of those states you could serve as a medstudent officer during med school. ~300/month drill pay. get that free tuition.

then for living expense you could either take out modest loans or go mdssp for ~2k/month stipend but be warned....the service obligation for mdssp is STEEP

I assume because your are NG you aren't eligible for the GI bill?

Agree with above. I would be cautious about ROTC. It's still possible. I few of my collegues did a combination of either ROTC or ROTC+HPSP and went straight through to medical school without issues. Keep in mind that there are a set number of medical school slots available for graduating ROTC students. You'd have to compete with your graduating class (nationwide) for these slots. If you don't make it then you will serve your commitment as a line officer.

USUHS is a reputable medical school and the students there get good training. I am HPSP but I serve as an assistant professor at the medical school there as a clinical instructor. The students are generally sharp. More are non-traditional (older with family). USUHS obligates you to 7 years pay back AFTER your residency training. So most USUHS students do 20 years+ in the military.

If you are thinking of going the civilian route, HPSP is an option. Joining after residency (FAP) is also an option.

Honestly, it seems like you like the military a lot. USUHS may be the best bet for you if you get in. You will be paid as an active duty 2LT during medical school.

I do have the GI bill but only 50% if I deploy again I should have closer to 100%.

if you want to stay in the guard....
a number of states give free tuition to state guard members. if you could get into a med school in one of those states you could serve as a medstudent officer during med school. ~300/month drill pay. get that free tuition.

then for living expense you could either take out modest loans or go mdssp for ~2k/month stipend but be warned....the service obligation for mdssp is STEEP

I've thought about staying guard, but again I enjoy active duty, not that I know much about it on the officer side. That and it's a long shot but I would love to do my residency at tripler medical center.

Last edited:
$0.02

Don't do ROTC you might get the big green weinie, staying reserves is a good idea if you like it and dont mind the idea of pushing your studies back a year or longer should a deployment come up. Go to a community college and get some generals outta the way while your maxing your GPA. Transfer to a state school and keep working hard. You'll have to take out a small amount of loans to do so but you are in control of your own destiny here. It sounds like you would be a good fit for USU, those guys usually get more prefernce for cherry residencies like TAMC for at least 2 reasons. 1. Part of your application for residency will include a section for the board "is this guy gonna stick with us?" USU heavy commitment after and prior service will give you an edge. 2. HPSP peeps don't get a chance to do as much or any research. Alot of us are going to have to do Active Duty/Drill time during our summers = no research.

good luck!