Path vs. Peds Job Market, a very crude comparison based on one job website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeSuisPathology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date Specialty # of priv jobs # academ jobs # phys scientist jobs # biopharma jobs

3/26/15 Pathology 1 0 0 0
3/26/15 Peds 64 1 0 0

3/25/15 Pathology 3 0 0 0
3/25/15 Peds 28 4 0 0

3/24/15 Pathology 0 0 0 0
3/24/15 Peds 7 0 0 0

3/23/15 Pathology 0 0 0 0
3/23/15 Peds 25 0 0 0

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 11.15.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 11.15.07 AM.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 56
I have never heard of career md as a method for advertising an open pathology position, for what it's worth. Most common places to advertise are CAP publications, pathologyoutlines, some other journals. The more common way to advertise for private positions is to go through personal contacts.

Most pathology job openings are not posted. Your buddy calls you and offers you a job is how this field works. I don' think we have ever posted a job because we have a never ending supply of disgruntled friends to choose from, either working at slide mill or stuck in locum hell.

Go out and network or you will be in a world of hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't you imagine many pediatric jobs are word of mouth also? I doubt that is unique to pathology.

Thoughts from Pathology Job Market Conversations
Posted on October 2, 2014
So, as you know, I recently attended the 2014 CAP Annual Meeting in Chicago. In addition to meeting with residents, I also had many interesting conversations and meals with non-trainees. I met new-in-practice pathologists who had completed two or three fellowships who were unemployed and were at the meeting networking with potential job prospects. I met veteran pathologists who were working in part-time or locums tenens positions while searching for a more permanent position. And finally, I met pathologists who were currently working but who told me that over the years, the amount of work that they have had to do for the same or less pay had significantly increased.

http://labmedicineblog.com/2014/10/02/thoughts-from-pathology-job-market-conversations/

Unfortunate that this blog didn't gain traction.