Pathways to Functional Neurosurgery & Neuroprosthetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splendanator

ForSparta
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am an MD/PhD student who is thinking very hard about neurosurgery residency. I have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to provide some insight. Ultimately, I am hoping to be split my clinical / academic time to undertake research that focuses on neuroprosthetics (brain implants), closed loop DBS, other functional neurosurgery. To do this and still maintain surgical proficiency, I imagine that it will be best to focus nearly exclusively on DBS / functional type surgeries.

First, how many years does it really take to become a functional neurosurgeon? I feel like I am getting old after MD/PhD :). I see that most programs are 7 years, but it looks like a few programs might (maybe?) have an integrated fellowship year in PGY7. Is this sufficient to really hone in on functional neurosurgery? How does this work?

Second, is it reasonable to think that I could focus almost exclusively (minus call) on functional type surgeries in an academic setting? To me, it seems like subspecializing in this way is the only way to have enough time for research.

Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

More information can be found here:<link deleted by mod>

Last edited by a moderator: